Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Me & my FQHH.

Mark

Practically Family
Hi all, after 3 difficult but wonderful years it is time for me and my Aero FQHH Highwayman to part company. I have had these thoughts before but kept on in the hope things would get better. I find I am making excuses now not to spend time with her, opting for my A2 instead. It's the weight you see, just too heavy and stiff. Also, I wish I had requested slimmer arms and a more consistent leather when I ordered her back in 2010.
My question is what is the lightest leather available for me to replace her with, mid weight horse, steer, goat. I would ideally like another Highwayman but is there a better, slimmer fitting jacket you would recommend? And how about Patina, some thing we all seem to covet so much but only really seems to happen on a FQHH. Is there another hide that can match the FQHH for this?
Please let us know your thoughts I would certainly appreciate them.
Thanks
Mark

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hear you. It isn't for everyone and I too often can't be bothered wearing something as heavy as FQHH. Why not try a slim 1930's half-belt in goat? Goat is lighter, softer, needs little break in and wears as well as horse. If you want patina try a vegetable tanned goat. Talk to your leather wear maker for advice.

Mid weight horse is lighter at 2.5 oz (standard horse is 3oz) it's better, but never a supple as goat.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'd suggest goat - lightweight, very durable.
If it's good quality/well tanned hide (see John's vintage goat on the Good Wear site) then it will patinate.
I love capeskin for drape, but for durability goat is superior and the drape can be similar.

Edward

Bartender
Hi all, after 3 difficult but wonderful years it is time for me and my Aero FQHH Highwayman to part company. I have had these thoughts before but kept on in the hope things would get better. I find I am making excuses now not to spend time with her, opting for my A2 instead. It's the weight you see, just too heavy and stiff. Also, I wish I had requested slimmer arms and a more consistent leather when I ordered her back in 2010.
My question is what is the lightest leather available for me to replace her with, mid weight horse, steer, goat. I would ideally like another Highwayman but is there a better, slimmer fitting jacket you would recommend? And how about Patina, some thing we all seem to covet so much but only really seems to happen on a FQHH. Is there another hide that can match the FQHH for this?
Please let us know your thoughts I would certainly appreciate them.
Thanks
Mark

"Better" is highly subjective. If you want something slimmer and less boxy, don't go for a Highwayman. I have seen one in the wild that was customised to be a much slimmer jacket. It did work, but.... that was done under previous management, and I can't imagine Ken would be prepared to do it now. The HWM is designed to be boxy - if you want something slim fitting, it is the wrong place to start, and I should think nowadays Aero would steer you instead towards a model which is slimmer by design. The 20s and 30s halfbelts are much slimmer, which may or may not be to your taste. The 50s Halfbelt (and jackets based on the same cut, including the Bootlegger) is a bit less extreme than the 20s/30s models, and might appeal more if you're otherwise comfortable in the HWM. I did have the impression that the zip-sleeve HWM was a little slimmer, but I'm honestly not sure of that, having only seen photos of that model.

As to hide and patina.... nothing else will age in quite the same way as FQHH, though some o the other hides will show more wear (if that's what you want) than others. My Aero goat A2 gets a lot of wear, yet still looks pretty much new. Their goat is hardwearing but noticeably thinner and lighter than the FQHH. My HWM is an Apprentice Made model, in steer. Not the chrome -tanned, heavy US stuff, but a lighter, softer variant (not sure if this is their advertised 'European Steer'?). As thick as FQHH, but much softer right off the bat. Really nice drape to it. A much better, more durable hide than the original Lewises etc I have handled, but at the same time it still has that period-correct drape that the FQHH lacks if you want a jacket with the look of one of the original ton-up boys' leathers.

One other thing to consider... what exactly is it bothers you about the stiffness of the FQHH? Is it weight, or is it that the boxier fit of the HWM 'feels' wrong stiff? For me the neater-fitting jackets work better with the firmer hide than something in a boxy pattern; the latter just feels 'wrong' to me without the drape of a softer leather. Of course, FQHH will get there in time, but that might take a while and depend on how often it is worn.

majormajor

One Too Many
Wait just another 5 days. Aero are bringing out some wonderful new 1920's recreations. A good number of them are in excellent A2 weight horsehide. I've had similar stuff before, from both Eastman and Aero, and it ages beautifully, and is easier to live with than FQHH:D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Wait just another 5 days. Aero are bringing out some wonderful new 1920's recreations. A good number of them are in excellent A2 weight horsehide. I've had similar stuff before, from both Eastman and Aero, and it ages beautifully, and is easier to live with than FQHH:D

Yus! *punches air* Summer jacket ahoy!!!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yus! *punches air* Summer jacket ahoy!!!

Sloan, any information that you might wish to impart to the rest of us unwashed?? :D I heard a rumor that you might be at the Aero factory this week and might do a write up for the newspaper. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Actually, not the newspaper this time, it's for the FL. They're expanding the site to include editorial and I've been commissioned to write a piece on the trade week - it's the first in 30-odd years and lots of new designs, so it's worthy of coverage. I promise to give it the full bhoona: lengthy report, descriptions and photos. Some of the names I've heard for the jackets are quite evocative: Dustbowl, Sunburst, Indiana and Mulligan. Have no idea what they look like, but will hopefully have the piece up online before the end of the week...

Mark

Practically Family
Hi and thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Sounds like goat might be the way to go. I'v always dismissed goat without much thought due to so many saying it still looks the same after 10-20 years of wear! May reconsider now.
Dr H, it's not so much the weight that bothers me as its not noticable when you have the jacket on, more the stiffness and boxiness, particularly in the arms/shoulders.
The half belts sound like they may be a trimmer fit but i'm not sure i like the belt affair at the back, another possibility all the same.
Think i will wait a bit and see what new offerings Aero are introducing. In the meantime my Highwayman will be soon on ebay in case anyone is interested?
Thanks again
Mark

The boxiness is hard to overcome with FQHH. Mine is much better since I soaked and dried it a bunch of times. Also, just tossing it on the couch when I come in as opposed to hanging it on a hanger helps...
FQHH is not an everyday thing (for me) but I would not ever get rid of this jacket. I'd like to get the sides brought in some as I lost weight, but I still won't sell it.
There's lots of options for you - and it sounds like lots of new Aero models on the way...I'd certainly wait for those and also look at other makers as well.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you're right to hold off. I think we're looking at a double digit number of new designs, so you'd be mad to restrict your choices for the sake of a few days.
Personally, I found FQHH perfect for my LHB, I just tightened the side straps right up, and got rained on more than I would care to remember, and it's well on its way, but I loved it the moment I put it on tbh.
Butte's absolutely right though, my jacket is generally found slung unceremoniously over various chairs in my house, much to my girlfriend's irritation. Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen, I say. Jackets that is, of course...

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
FQHH is unweildy stuff IMHO ... medium weight is superb, oil pull good also, vintage / tumbled are also good. 8 years to get my barnstormer comfortable ( abeit not continuous wear ) ..... Chromexell steer wears better but AVOID the REALLY thick 4oz+ stuff ...... A2 weight is a little thin for my liking for anything other than an A2. I have an Aero Longshoreman ( which I just had Alexanders remove the sheepskin liner and replace with woolen blanket - with the sheepskin liner it was like wearing a puffa jacket) which is made from veg tanned seal brown horsehide ( Horween veg tanned 1.2 - 1.3mm) and it's amazingly soft ... heavy drape but yet so soft. I bought it on ebay in 2006 and it's definately not got the "character" or patina of Chromexel FQHH but it is one of my most comfortable jackets to wear.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here

It doesn't bode well for me that I'm broke but still extremely excited about the new designs coming out! :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82