Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marque Grand Luxe

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does any one know what the code numbers indicate? I sure don't. It truely makes me humble and embarrased at the abundence I do not know about hats. The more I think I know the less I do.[huh]

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Well, the conventional wisdom on the Lounge has been that, in most cases, the first two digits of the second number indicate the year of manufacture.

As pointed out above, some think this is limited to late Borsalinos. It *seems* to work nicely for thirties and forties hats, and two of my hats from the sixties and seventies seem accurate. But there are irritating anomalies. Yours, for instance, doesn't look like a 1948 hat -- the black sweat, and black Eulan Bayer tag seem to corroborate your opinion that it's much later.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
(By the way, I am *not* an expert. I knew nada, until I joined the Lounge a couple of months ago. This is all from culling the expertise of others on the board.)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
!948 seems to be a stretch and a long one at that. Given the crown and brim dimentions I will stick to the seventies. Oh well, this hat is not the end all by any means so I will get excited when I find a really nice one that looks more like the thirties or forties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally