Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon Replica - Advice Needed!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Egypt

If you're a dedicated member of the Sons of the Desert you could get a good Fez from Egypt. Also, they make very nice wooden inlaid boxes, which have a nice vintage quality to them.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
If you're a dedicated member of the Sons of the Desert you could get a good Fez from Egypt. Also, they make very nice wooden inlaid boxes, which have a nice vintage quality to them.
"Sons of the Desert", as in Laurel & Hardy? Yes, they do make very nice inlaid boxes from Egypt, my neighbor has them around his home.

Speaking of which, he gave me the items he had his relative send back from a mom & pop shop in Egypt for me: not just a Sphynx, but the great pyramids - cool

sphynx_pyramids_from_mohamed.jpg

Hand-carved; the sphynx, of marble; the pyramids, of some kind of sacred stone he was trying to explain to me, that while it feels very heavy and substantial, its surface is quite easily scratched. He was explaining the engravings but we got interrupted...

He said there is also a certain very important layout they should be in relation to one another, and the East. (Didn't say what'd happen if I put them in the wrong order... maybe I'll hit Wikipedia)

- C H

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Cousin Hepcat said:
"Sons of the Desert", as in Laurel & Hardy? Yes, they do make very nice inlaid boxes from Egypt, my neighbor has them around his home.

Speaking of which, he gave me the items he had his relative send back from a mom & pop shop in Egypt for me: not just a Sphynx, but the great pyramids - cool

sphynx_pyramids_from_mohamed.jpg

Hand-carved; the sphynx, of marble; the pyramids, of some kind of sacred stone he was trying to explain to me, that while it feels very heavy and substantial, its surface is quite easily scratched. He was explaining the engravings but we got interrupted...

He said there is also a certain very important layout they should be in relation to one another, and the East. (Didn't say what'd happen if I put them in the wrong order... maybe I'll hit Wikipedia)

- C H

Looking good! I never did get my Maltese Falcon though, perhaps it's time to give Haunted Studio's another try.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Cousin Hepcat said:

- C H

Those are nice. :)

My uneducated guess would be that the layout would correspond with the placement of the actual pyramids in Egypt.

Lee

Just a guess.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
The Wingnut said:
I'd bet a lot of Lounge members would pop for one if another run was announced. I know I'd give up some dough for one.

...call me sick, but it's begging to be made into a lamp. I know, I know, heresy. Sam Spade might've done it after the case was over...

I know I would, too.

I think a pair of those would look nice on the end tables in any vintage style livingroom.

Lee

Sick times two. :D

Julian

New in Town
On their webpage (http://www.mysteriousbookshop.com/bookshop/collectable_items.php) the Mysterious Bookshop claims their replica falcon is "an exact replica of the statue used in the Bogart film, cast from the same mold."

I find this very doubtful. And since they provide no pictures, I'm wondering what their Falcon actually looks like.

Has anyone here ever seen one of the Mysterious Bookshops birds?

Are their claims of it being an "exact replica" even close to being the truth?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
An interesting little tidbit of trivia is that William Conrad had an original from the movie given to him in the 60's by Warner Bros. It sat on a bookshelf in his home until his death in 1994.
240px-Conrad-Maltese-Falcon.jpg

Sure does look different in color than in black and white. I'm presuming that the original was probably a bronze statue painted black, the paint wearing off with handling over time. It would be great to get one unpainted in a dense resin to paint myself. I could probably replicate the color version pretty close. Would make a fantastic bookend in my office.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This was the Resin Falcon (WB 90456) That was confirmed to be the one that Bogart handled in many of the promo photos.
4903806_1_l.jpg

The resin falcon, weighing 4 pounds 5.4 ounces and standing 11 1/2 inches tall, was discovered by Emmy-winning producer/director Ara Chekmayan in New Jersey in 1991. Recognizing the Warner Brothers "WB 90456" serial number scratched into the base, Mr. Chekmayan began to extensively research the figure. He found that among those familiar with the production of the film, the consensus was that the resin copy was indeed the falcon that appeared in several 8 x 10" publicity photos pictured in the hands of Bogart on the film set. These photographs of the actor and the statuette became the most recognizable images from the film. Importantly, a technical report on tests performed on the falcon "WB 90456" by Systems Applications of La Crescenta, CA was produced December 8, 1999. After carefully lighting and photographing images of the resin bubbles in the falcon, the technology analysis firm scanned the photos at high resolution and then compared them with images of the falcon from the movie itself, also at high resolution. The 26-page report summary concludes by positively stating: "Correlation of the location of minute pits on the falcon caused by air bubbles trapped in the resin during the molding process with identically positioned marking on both sets of photographs removes any uncertainty as to the authenticity of the model."...

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4903806

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter