Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making my own hat

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Thanks, Stoney!

I didn't know she'd gotten them in. I sent her an e-mail a few months ago asking about ferrules after I learned about their application in sweatbands and how to put them in from Art, and described what I'd be doing with them. She said she'd get them and asked if she could put the description up on the site. In the meantime I'd gotten them elsewhere.

Cheers,
Tom
Dumb question but what do you guys mean by ferrules?:eek:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Dumb question but what do you guys mean by ferrules?:eek:

Not dumb at all, Indycop!

A ferrule in this case is a tube that the sweatband reed slides into from each side. It's then crimped to hold the reed (and the sweatband) together, though you then need to sew the ends of the sweatband together. IIRC you want to cut the ends of the sweatband at a slight angle to each other before pulling them together. This with the ferrule and slight excess of reed puts the sweatband under a bit of tension and helps create a "bell" shape in the leather. I hope I've described that semi-clearly and correctly! (Thanks, Art!)

Have you ever seen a vintage hat with a bit of green at the back where the sweatband meets the hat? That's from the ferrule oxidizing.

Click here and scroll down for a photo of ferrules.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe