Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make soft wool hats "stiffer"?

Alexander

New in Town
Been quite a while since I last was on here so I want to start of by saying Hi to everyone :)

And to my question:

I recently bought a soft wool hat at a yard sale, inside the edge of the brim there is a metal wire to keep the shape but I feel like that isnt enough so Im just wondering if you guys know if there is a way I can make the hat stiffer (maybe not the right word, but I hope you understand what im trying to say) like my other hat wich is made of Fur felt and is really "stiff" and the shape will hold forever (once again, stiff is the only word I can think of right now wich describes what im trying to say).

Sorry if my English is a bit flawed.

/Alexander

Edward

Bartender
I'm wondering if some form of spray starch might do your job.... otherwise, at the risk of being a boor, I should think you might just have to accept that wool and fur are very different hat materials with very different characteristics. [huh]

fenris

One of the Regulars
Alexander said:
That was my first idea but I'm afraid that will mess up the looks of the fabric :p

Spray it on the inside of the hat so if anything happens, it won't be something that is seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe