Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make me feel better after fairly losing these two auctions - Part II

MattJH

One Too Many
OR: You've got to be kidding me.

Brown Royal Stetson Deluxe in 7 5/8
Gray Champ Deluxe in 7 5/8

Do I have the worst bidding finger or what? I strike with 25 seconds left and somebody else strikes with 2 seconds left. I don't have that kind of confidence in my computer's performance! I was watching these ever since they were listed, excited that I'd win both. Here I am, empty-handed again. Woe is me, woe is me.

I encourage hat insults here. Point out the flaws, detail why you'd never want to own either one, etc. It's appreciated!

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I can't speak for the Stetson, but as to the Champ:

Would it make you feel any better to know that it will be going to a new member here, who is grateful for all the information contributed here by you and others on this forum?

That he was also watching this auction all week and submitted his bid not knowing he was going up against you?

That it will be his first vintage hat, and in the correct, hard to find size?

That, assuming it does fit, will be his last eBay hat purchase for a while?

That he wouldn't even have been looking had this Pilgrim actually been a 7 5/8 as advertised rather than a clearly marked 7 1/8, causing him to have to return it to the seller for a refund he is still waiting to receive?

Sorry, Dumbjaw. The next one's all yours. :eek:

MattJH

One Too Many
Wesne said:
Would it make you feel any better to know that it will be going to a new member here, who is grateful for all the information contributed here by you and other on this forum?

Hah! No kidding? A sincere congratulations to you! Let me know what it's like when you get it, I'm curious.

I have two vintage stingy-brims, but no standards, so my quest continues.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I will post photos when it arrives. And you have my word, I will be staying away from eBay for a while. Watching this one sit at $5 all week and waiting for the inevitable last minute flurry of bids was almost too much to bear. I have enough stress in my life as it is.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Oh, by the way - If you're reading this, Dinerman, had I bid one penny less on that Pilgrim, it would have been yours, and you would have gotten a nice surprise. It probably would have fit you. ;)

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Wesne said:
I will post photos when it arrives. And you have my word, I will be staying away from eBay for a while. Watching this one sit at $5 all week and waiting for the inevitable last minute flurry of bids was almost too much to bear. I have enough stress in my life as it is.

That's what esnipe is for...it bids for you in the last few seconds of the auction. You can be doing something more fun than watching the bidding...taking a hike, sports, work, making love, sleeping...whatever you want to do.

It also removes the temptation to get into last-minute "bidding wars".
"I'm only going to pay $10 max for this."
"Oh, no! Somebody outbid me! Quick! Put in a bid for $15!!"
"OH, NO! Outbid again! $20!"
"Whew! I won the item, and at only twice what I thought it was actually worth!"

Don't do it. Let me repeat the Ebay mantra...say it with me:

Bid once.
Bid your maximum.
Bid as late as possible (i.e., use esnipe).

No muss, no fuss, and you'll never overpay again.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Flying Scotsman said:
That's what esnipe is for...it bids for you in the last few seconds of the auction. You can be doing something more fun than watching the bidding...taking a hike, sports, work, making love, sleeping...whatever you want to do.

It also removes the temptation to get into last-minute "bidding wars".
"I'm only going to pay $10 max for this."
"Oh, no! Somebody outbid me! Quick! Put in a bid for $15!!"
"OH, NO! Outbid again! $20!"
"Whew! I won the item, and at only twice what I thought it was actually worth!"

Don't do it. Let me repeat the Ebay mantra...say it with me:

Bid once.
Bid your maximum.
Bid as late as possible (i.e., use esnipe).

No muss, no fuss, and you'll never overpay again.

You're absolutely right. I didn't use esnipe but I did it the old fashioned way. I just made a note of the time the auction was scheduled to end and made sure I was at my computer. I submitted my one and only bid, the maximum I would pay, watching the clock tick away in the final 30 seconds. Esnipe would have been easier and might have saved me a few dollars, as it would have submitted the bid a little closer to the end than I was willing to go manually.

MattJH

One Too Many
I just checked out esnipe.com and I'm definitely uncomfortable releasing my eBay username and password to them. I understand that it's necessary in order for them to place bids on my behalf, but it doesn't change my mind. Thank you for the recommendation, though!

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
I just checked out esnipe.com and I'm definitely uncomfortable releasing my eBay username and password to them. I understand that it's necessary in order for them to place bids on my behalf, but it doesn't change my mind. Thank you for the recommendation, though!

Esnipe is sound. It's extremely popular, and has been around for years now. I've never heard of any problems with it, and it works great. Like you, I was a bit nervous at first, but it's actually okay to put that info in.

I'm not shilling for esnipe, truly...I just really think it's a great system, and I've won quite a bit of stuff using it (and I can't count the times it bid for me when I had forgotten about an auction).

It emails you when the auction is over to let you know if you've won or lost, too, and the reason why.

A funny fact...the esnipe system was originally auctioned on Ebay, and the company that owns it...sniped it with a bid in the last several seconds of the auction! (Manually at the time, of course).

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:
OR:
Do I have the worst bidding finger or what? I strike with 25 seconds left and somebody else strikes with 2 seconds left. I don't have that kind of confidence in my computer's performance!

My issue is with my internet connection. Due to living in the country the only option I have for "broadband" is satellite. Unfortunately, that means that it can go as long as 15-20 seconds between screen refreshes. At school it's more like 2-3 seconds! (I'd better not continue or else I'd go on a rant on the subject.)

Anyway, I started using ezsniper. Yes, you have to give your username and password, but they wouldn't last in the business very long if they were abusing the data.

I figure it's at least as safe as handing my credit card to a waiter or waitress to pay for my dinner! (Ever see the Dilbert cartoon where the waitress comes back with his card wearing a mink coat?)

Cheers,
Tom

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe