Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
disgust with Roger's blackface routine

Is that why he's angry at Sterling? I hadn't quite figured it out. I thought maybe it was because as Don tries to turn over a new leaf, there's Roger always trying to tempt him back to his old ways.

-Dave

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, I think that's only ONE of the ways that Roger annoyed Don.

I think another is that Roger blew off his family to be with Jane, making Don feel even more trapped by Betty, the kids, and Gene (while he was around). (Remember that Don looks at Roger as himself ten years farther along.)

Also, Don probably still feels betrayed by Roger (and Bert) over the Brit takeover, which wasn't the huge personal windfall for him that it was for them - not to mention that it ruined his chances of advancing and running the agency his way. Don clearly resents having to answer to a seemingly clueless higher authority. Especially because he can't use his powers of persuasion on them as effecively as he could on Roger and Bert.

And Don has witnessed plenty of generally sloppy, callous, unprofessional behavior on Roger's part too. (Not that he should criticize!)

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I think don's relationship with Roger is very interisting actually. It's a real love hate situation (at least how I see it). They both respect each other to some extent - Roger apologises quiet sincirely for advancing upon betty and Don often sits with Roger and genuinly listens to his problems and provides support. To counter this Don was happy to make Roger physically sick (oysters, grog, running up stairs episode) to prove himself as the alpha male and Roger felt no remorse at speaking to Betty about Don's contract behind his back. It goes much deeper that this but I don't want to prattle on.

I myself have this sort of relationship with a guy I've been friends with since primary school -sort of an unhealthy relationship - but it is a strong bond none the less. I see this relationship in Don and Roger - they are ultimately irritated to the bulls**t by each other but at the same time they both provide a positive force in the life of the other and would be worse off without it.

Just what I think

Cheers,
Drew.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just when I was starting to like Betty just a tiny bit when they were in Rome, she had to go spoil things by reverting to her old self at the end of the show. I felt sorry for poor Don. I think he was trying to keep the magic of their trip alive and she just threw it back in his face.

I loved the little role-playing they did in Rome, though.

Pete is still a slimeball in my book.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
I can't wait till Betty snaps. I wonder if it will be before or after the daughter sets her first fire. And it was funny that she enjoyed their role play with no idea that she was playing with the real Dick/Don.

I know it's not popular, but I do love Pete. I'm still rooting for him and Peggy to get together.

And yay! Joanie's sort of back!

Oh, and was Betty wearing a Pucci maxi-dress in the last scene? I'm not big on maxi-dresses, but that print and the dress bodice were oh so lovely.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:
Just when I was starting to like Betty just a tiny bit when they were in Rome, she had to go spoil things by reverting to her old self at the end of the show.

I'll agree with that. In this episode Bettie's charm really came through and I stopped hateing her for a while. And then she just had to go ahead and be a bi**h again!!! Gar she frustrates me sooooo much!

AmateisGal said:
Pete is still a slimeball in my book.
I also think Pete's character is really brought through here because he really is just so desperately lonely and sad. His eyes were quiet haunting in this episode and I just got a feeling that he needs to be liked by people. I never really thought of him that way but if you look at how he treats people in the show you'll see that he is quiet happy to black talk people as long as they dont know; as long as they still like him. Trudy clearly upsets him and they don't have a real relationship but he needs her affection - so he pretends. As much as I find Pete a slimeball and thouroughly dislike the man, I also find him interesting because his is so tragically alone and desperately wants the love and admiration of others - he just uses the wrong methods.

Cheers,
Drew.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Drew B said:
As much as I find Pete a slimeball and thouroughly dislike the man, I also find him interesting because his is so tragically alone and desperately wants the love and admiration of others - he just uses the wrong methods.

Have there ever been so many Oedipal complexes in one prime time show before? All of them out to metaphorically kill their fathers. Mad Men is truly a Freudian stew of fun!

Pete's complete lack of internal editor cracks me up. He is a lost boy.

Cricket

Practically Family
I am constantly on the edge of my seat during each episode to see when Betty will "snap."
And is it just me, or does anyone find themselves wondering if Betty will ever harm one of the children? I can't help but wonder if her "snap" could lead in that direction. It may be me looking too much into it, but I get that vibe sometimes.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Cricket said:
I am constantly on the edge of my seat during each episode to see when Betty will "snap."
And is it just me, or does anyone find themselves wondering if Betty will ever harm one of the children? I can't help but wonder if her "snap" could lead in that direction. It may be me looking too much into it, but I get that vibe sometimes.

She already tried to lock Sally in the closet in season two after catching her smoking. She clearly resents Sally and Bobby and made a remark about only missing baby Gene in the last episode. She's already incurred unlimited emotional harm on these children so I wouldn't be surprised if her resentment would find physical manifestation.

Remember what she told Bobby when he mentioned being bored shortly after the baby's birth? "Boring people are bored...Go bang your head against the wall."

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
NYC and interns

Senator Jack & I spotted a bearded 'Pete Campbell' Friday nite at an eaterie.

And Christina Hendricks got married in NYC on Sunday

http://gawker.com/5379866/i-now-pronounce-you-mad-man-and-wife

BTW, Kater Gordon, MadMen writer was fired?
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/recent-emmy-winning-young-female-writer-loses-her-job-on-mad-men/

Another writer is reported to be quitting before being fired.
http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-kater-gordon-the-27-year-old-emmy-winning-mad-men-writer-gets-fired/#When:17:30:45Z?eref=RSS

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I didnt notice her, but I've heard she's hard to miss.
Him, I noticed. He looked slightly curious as to who are group was...then he ducked his head to get out unnoticed.

3927762983_66a7a2d11c.jpg

with the scrubby beard

3622047755_dbc74e9d43.jpg
3226403273_5c787ac447.jpg

Is Draper the anti-Roarke (okay, Reardon)? God, as much as I hate objectivism and Ayn Rand, I'm going to get into this.

There was all that talk about Atlas Shrugged in the first season, and now with this Conrad Hilton plot, and Draper kowtowing to him, he's not really following the Randian philosophy, is he? Is that why he got p.o'ed with Crain blowing off Lucky Strike Jr? (What's his name?) It's something he'd like to do with Hilton but doesn't.

Regards,

Jaclk

Christy

One of the Regulars
Christina Hendricks looked stunning on her wedding day, but what else is new she's always stunning!

I thought Sunday's episode was good, I liked it. I was disappointed with Sal's situation, I really like that character, he's interesting. Also, the episode before last, I thought the whole Peggy and Duck thing was kind of strange, I definitely didn't expect it. I also wish that there was more Joan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe