Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I believe they're setting up Sally to be the classic rebellious teenager a season or two down the road, when it's 1966 or 1967 and the fullblown Sixties erupt.

I think youre right too.
Sterling & his daughter too.

BTW, isnt this also Don trying to be on Betty's side more now after his dilemmas last season?

Theyre all a mess , which is why the show is fun to watch....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Weston said:
Something tells me after that little dance recital, that Sal's wife knows the truth about why he's not been in the bedroom of late...
Yep, judging by the look on her face.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
Weston said:
Something tells me after that little dance recital, that Sal's wife knows the truth about why he's not been in the bedroom of late...

I have to agree! She did look very put out, but perhaps she was just jealous; it was a VERY nice dance recital!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I loved Peggy smoking pot last week too! Classic! Especially when the boys sing that show number and she just says ''I am so high''.

Cheers,
Drew.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Drew B said:
I have to agree! She did look very put out, but perhaps she was just jealous; it was a VERY nice dance recital!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I loved Peggy smoking pot last week too! Classic! Especially when the boys sing that show number and she just says ''I am so high''.

Cheers,
Drew.

Haha! That was great. Also loved the part where she said, "My name is Peggy Olson and I want to smoke some pot."

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
get_atomized said:
Is Betty really meant to be represented as a compassionate, lovable character to the audience?
When I first started watching, I thought she was the most sympathetic character on the show. After re-watching seasons 1 and 2, when the husband decided to get into it, I realize that she's a mess. From the very beginning, she's been a mess. As much as we all hate adultery, it was clear when he was resorting to it. In an age when divorce was so stigmatized, adultery with strong, intelligent women was his only option for getting what he needed. It's pretty clear that Betty has never grown up and is so self-centered and egotistical. Now that I've come to that conclusion, the older shows look completely different and I can't stand her.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
When I first started watching, I thought she was the most sympathetic character on the show. After re-watching seasons 1 and 2, when the husband decided to get into it, I realize that she's a mess. From the very beginning, she's been a mess. As much as we all hate adultery, it was clear when he was resorting to it. In an age when divorce was so stigmatized, adultery with strong, intelligent women was his only option for getting what he needed. It's pretty clear that Betty has never grown up and is so self-centered and egotistical. Now that I've come to that conclusion, the older shows look completely different and I can't stand her.

I think that's a perfect assessment of her character, Kamikat. I'm interested to see how her character develops this season. I've been shocked at the last few episodes, though, as Don hasn't strayed!

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:

Perfect assessment, kamikat. I would add only her increasing dislike/resentment of her children and particularly her son. She sublimates her anger at Don and his adultery and venomously attacks her son instead. It seems that she's going to be one of those 60's mothers who rely on Mothers Little Helpers to get through the day while ignoring the children.

The American Middle-Class myth, and her own victim/martyr self-image, is not fulfilling her. She's a volcano simmering, with a big blow to come.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Oprah

FYI, Monday 9/21 is madmen day on Oprah
http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2009/09/oprah-winfrey-appearnce.php

oprah-560.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But remember, too, one of the early episodes, where the next door neighbor, with the pigeons, screamed & yelled at the kids because their dog jumped up and got a pigeon as it flew over the yard. He said if he had the chance, he'd kill the dog. And there's Betty out there a little bit later with cigarette dangling from her lips, shotgun in hand, blasting away at the pigeons. That's when I thought, "Well...someone's got a little craziness lurking inside behind the perfect wife, mother & homemaker facade." And the episodes with the neighborhood divorcee's 10 or so year old son that had a crush on her.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I especiall liked the Roger/Don at the Barbershop scene- all the way to the shoulder massage and manicure! Is it just me or does the story line so far this season seem somewhat disjointed? I'm really hoping that Madmen isn't near jumping the shark, but I'm beginning to wonder...I'm really disliking Betty's treatment of the children so far as well.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I think this was the strongest episode of the season, so far. And boy oh boy, I didn't see the lawnmower accident coming! Wowsers.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
It's been said before, but Betty is getting more and more unlikable. She's a seething vat of resentment and anger.

But that's ok "everything's fine."

I can't wait to find out how Joan comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe