Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
The reference was to George Romney, father of Mitt, a prominent republican. He ran for president ( well the R nomination anyway) in 1968.

swinggal

One Too Many
Thank goodness Joan got rid of her abusive husband. I couldn't believe that she actually married him after he had raped her in the earlier season. And how stupid must he be not to realise that the baby is not his own. All he would have to is count backwards to the last time he was on leave. I'd like to see Roger and Joan together, as I think they are good match. I am wondering if they are going to develop something with Joan and Lane...hmmm.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Thank goodness Joan got rid of her abusive husband. I couldn't believe that she actually married him after he had raped her in the earlier season. And how stupid must he be not to realise that the baby is not his own. All he would have to is count backwards to the last time he was on leave. I'd like to see Roger and Joan together, as I think they are good match. I am wondering if they are going to develop something with Joan and Lane...hmmm.

I am glad to see Joan's husband gone, too. It's better that she told him off instead of the writers killing him off in Vietnam. I would love to see Joan and Roger FINALLY get together and stay together, but Roger has a lot of growing up to do before that happens. I don't think Joan would allow herself to be with him in his current state.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The reference was to George Romney, father of Mitt, a prominent republican. He ran for president ( well the R nomination anyway) in 1968.

Thanks
I checked into it & because Romney was referred to as a 'clown' and Heston was described as a 'naked host with good weed', its all become fodder for the political websites. I wont pursue this on the FL.

-B

Romney%20-%20us-president-richard-nixon-with-michigan-governor-george-w-romney-1966.jpg

RichardH

One of the Regulars
What did you think of yesterdays episode of Mad Men? I personally thought that
*SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER* *SPOILER*
*SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER**SPOILER*

Pete & Layne's fight was the highlight of the episode.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
The fight was hysterical. I loved the other three just watching! The kiss was interesting. Hmmm. We will see if that goes anywhere!

Don's love for Megan was explored on a few levels. The "Whitman" connection (U Texas) was a fascinating touch (although surely Pete remembers Don's real name??). But that plaid sport coat?? Wow. He must REALLY love Megan!!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The fight was hysterical. I loved the other three just watching! The kiss was interesting. Hmmm. We will see if that goes anywhere!

Don's love for Megan was explored on a few levels. The "Whitman" connection (U Texas) was a fascinating touch (although surely Pete remembers Don's real name??). But that plaid sport coat?? Wow. He must REALLY love Megan!!
To wear that absolutely hideous trio of "sport" coats somebody better be loving someone! I don't think I'm good enough an actor to wear that coat without crackin' up on all sorts of levels. The confrontation was hilarious. I personally have never seen a more pathetically sad creature than Pete Cambell. Snarky, snotty, weak, smarmy and completely unhappy. I've little sympathy for people who have much but "feel" they have nothing!. Grrrrrr...

Worf

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab

That fight might be the best thing I've seen on this show, and I'm not exaggerating. Who didn't want to see someone land a haymaker on Pete? Roger kills me every time: "Who else wants to see this?" :lol: The kiss - I have to admit, I've been secretly hoping Lane & Joan would get together this season, so I was thrilled with it. At least Joan didn't shove him off, although sadly she didn't go lock the door as I'd hoped. :lol: I'll be anxious to see if it goes anywhere. Lane needs some love.

I felt like Pete had matured so much since the first season. I even commented on it earlier in this thread, but now I see that isn't the case at all. He's the same smarmy kid.

I also found the reason for the loss of the Jaguar account amusing.

Don's plaid sportcoat was atrocious.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the writers avoid turning Pete into a one-dimensional character. Sure, it's fun to have a character that's so unlikeable, but in the real world I've never really gotten to know anyone, with the exception of a relative or two, who was totally devoid of something at least resembling a redeeming quality. Pete getting so thoroughly humbled in this most recent episode (the fistfight, the underage girl pushing him aside for the young buck, Don's quick repair of the faucet while a hapless Pete fumbled around with the toolbox) might be the beginning of his redemption. One can hope.

At the risk of betraying a bit too much -- I kinda liked the plaid sports jackets, especially Kenny's, the blue one. And Don's was cool in its way. I happen to have a coupla three or four somewhat similar vintage jackets myself, purchased at thrift shops and the like in recent years, although mine mostly date from a few years earlier than this 1966 (or is it '67 yet?) period piece.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh gosh, what a GREAT episode. I have to say that I really like this new Don - I love how he's committed to Megan. I hope it continues.

And the fight scene was terrific.

Thank goodness Kenny is still writing, though - as a writer, if someone told me to stop writing or I'd lose my job, I'd still secretly find a way to do it somehow!

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
I'm with Melissa on the new Don. He was a mess last year. I didn't like Megan last year but do now.

But I'm with rue on regretting the passing away of the good '60s.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Really? I hate to say it, but I liked it better when he was a cad and I can't stand Megan for some reason.

I don't care for Megan either.

I can appreciate Don trying to 'turn over a new leaf' but I also predict it won't last long until he'll be back to his old ways!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Faye IS still out there somewhere. As are a couple other, shall we say, slightly more mature old flames. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Weiner. I just can't wait to see what it is!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh, I don't know that Don will last long in this new role, but I commend him on giving the righteous path a shot. ;)

Megan is starting to grow on me.

I also miss the styles of the early 60s. Now we're treading into the reason I never liked 60s fashions. Megan's dress that she wore to Pete and Trudy's was god-awful to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld