Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men attire

PhantomKnight

New in Town
Anyone know of any old Hollywood tricks regarding wardrobe?

What did they do 40+ years ago when lightweight material may not have been used or if it was it may not have been as breathable as todays materials? How do they not appear as though they have just stepped out of a sauna?

I'm looking for Hollywood tricks here.

Maybe they routinely stripped off their suits between shots? :)

Lear

One of the Regulars
I've heard it said that 16oz worsted doesn't necessarily mean you'll swelter. Apparently, the same rules do not apply to heavy flannel. In the early days, 16oz was considered quite normal. I'd love to experience such a worsted suit; one that hangs like iron. However, not sure I'm willing to take such an expensive gamble. Then I watch the old movies, see the old press cuttings etc, and realize that we used to dress like this while still going about our daily business.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've heard it said that 16oz worsted doesn't necessarily mean you'll swelter. Apparently, the same rules do not apply to heavy flannel. In the early days, 16oz was considered quite normal. I'd love to experience such a worsted suit; one that hangs like iron. However, not sure I'm willing to take such an expensive gamble. Then I watch the old movies, see the old press cuttings etc, and realize that we used to dress like this while still going about our daily business.

It think you're right about that. I've got several, vintage 16oz-weight suits, and have worn them on warm days. Flannel? No, I'd roast in that.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
To some degree the weave (breathability) of a cloth can mitigate the warmth brought on by its weight. But in the end, there's a reason that linen, seersucker, PB fabric, etc.... exist. ;)

Lear

One of the Regulars
Until Mad Men, I didn't appreciate how amazing women could look showing less. This coming from someone who only visits FL in order to view Aero (Outerwear) posts... or, it could be that I'm getting older.

Lear

To some degree the weave (breathability) of a cloth can mitigate the warmth brought on by its weight. But in the end, there's a reason that linen, seersucker, PB fabric, etc.... exist. ;)

Yes, you are right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld