Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Looking to get a Gannon hat made soon with this shape and similar color
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/page-1014#post-2552101

I think it would be a silverbelly since the silverbelly he has is a lighter greyer color than Stetson which is warmer and more camel toned but he's sending me some swatches so I can make the right decision! Probably with a mushroom sweatband, and the liner, probably a white one but the darker colors do look interesting, it would be very different, I know nobody else would see it but still. (Open to some opinions!)

The photos here are useful! Is the hand (of the felt) really nice?

Looking to get a Gannon hat made soon with this shape and similar color
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/page-1014#post-2552101

I think it would be a silverbelly since the silverbelly he has is a lighter greyer color than Stetson which is warmer and more camel toned but he's sending me some swatches so I can make the right decision! Probably with a mushroom sweatband, and the liner, probably a white one but the darker colors do look interesting, it would be very different, I know nobody else would see it but still. (Open to some opinions!)

The photos here are useful! Is the hand (of the felt) really nice?

Have you seen Eric’s (@Short Balding Guy) Gannon tree? Wowsers! I also like the mushroom sweatband. Silverbelly, be it Gannon (Winchester) or Stetson’s or ?? are all slightly different and they change over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Have you seen Eric’s (@Short Balding Guy) Gannon tree? Wowsers! I also like the mushroom sweatband. Silverbelly, be it Gannon (Winchester) or Stetson’s or ?? are all slightly different and they change over the years.

What's winchester?

From what I could tell off the swatches, Gannon's silverbelly was a lighter beige and more grey tones in it (a more cool silverbelly) but not quite as cool coloured as the silver mist. I really don't want to get another beige ish hat and want a light grey but.. I find the style I'm going for works so much nicer with that lighter cool beige/sand

What's winchester?

From what I could tell off the swatches, Gannon's silverbelly was a lighter beige and more grey tones in it (a more cool silverbelly) but not quite as cool coloured as the silver mist. I really don't want to get another beige ish hat and want a light grey but.. I find the style I'm going for works so much nicer with that lighter cool beige/sand

Winchester is the felting company who makes the felt hat bodies that Gannon and others use to make their hats. The felter dyes the fur and determines the colors.

Lot of us are after the perfect shade of gray. There doesn’t seem to be anything comparable to the vintage grays. You can try a European source, but it’s hard to find good samples. Optimo offers some incredible colors on their own hats, but they ain’t cheap. VS offers some colors not readily available elsewhere but his stock of dove gray is gone as is his confederate gray. He does have blue smoke if you like gray with blue tones.

Last edited:
What's winchester?

The legend is:
Charcoal
Granite
Moss Green
Bone
Silver Belly
Silver Mist
Steel Gray
Whiskey
Charcoal
Blue
Moss Green

IMG_6760.JPG

Of the color range you are looking at Bone is most cream like, & Silver Mist is the most white.

I really don't want to get another beige ish hat and want a light grey but.. I find the style I'm going for works so much nicer with that lighter cool beige/sand
Jessie, putting the issue of style to the side for a moment if you are seeking a light gray you might want to check out Art's Dove & his Blue Smoke.

Dove
IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Blue Smoke appears light gray in natural light & only takes on a blue cast in cool photographic light. This is a favorite of mine.

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

A 3rd option would have been his Confederate Gray which is no longer available.

Jessie, putting the issue of style to the side for a moment if you are seeking a light gray you might want to check out Art's Dove & his Blue Smoke.

Dove
View attachment 170917
View attachment 170918

Blue Smoke appears light gray in natural light & only takes on a blue cast in cool photographic light. This is a favorite of mine.

View attachment 170914
View attachment 170916
View attachment 170915

Art said he’s out of dove and Winchester has been unable to reproduce it. According to Art, there is t much chance that it will be available again in the near term.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars

Dove
View attachment 170917
View attachment 170918

View attachment 170914
View attachment 170916
View attachment 170915

oh that is beautiful! I thought Art wasn't taking new orders though?

I definitely was looking for either a super light beige/sand or a very light grey

Last edited:

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Of the color range you are looking at Bone is most cream like, & Silver Mist is the most white.

I may go with the granite actually, it seems to be a very light grey. I'm just stuck on that lighter sand beige colour because I saw it like that initially and got stuck on that - and the style is a bit more western than dress so beige/sand works. However, I would love to diversify my collection a little more.

Hornskov had a blue smoke (well he was running out last I checked so I'm not sure he carries it anymore) but he hasn't been responsive to my last emails for more information on hats and designs.

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.28.32 AM.png

I may go with the granite actually, it seems to be a very light grey. I'm just stuck on that lighter sand beige colour because I saw it like that initially and got stuck on that - and the style is a bit more western than dress so beige/sand works. However, I would love to diversify my collection a little more.

Hornskov had a blue smoke (well he was running out last I checked so I'm not sure he carries it anymore) but he hasn't been responsive to my last emails for more information on hats and designs.

View attachment 170932

Granite is not a light gray. It also has strong brown tones. I bought my first granite after looking at a photos of another Lounge member’s hat. I was really surprised by the actual color when I received it. I love it, and have another on order, but I would not describe it as light gray. Best to put the color of the rock out of your mind when thinking about the hat color. Art is still taking new orders and a plans to continue until late summer or thereabouts.

Granite in varying light:

c77b01da342cb516c046edbf03f58871.jpg

cf747ed90e01a8a277bff4f43e3d4e9b.jpg

3c2bb61c0ccc90ab2dd70610b06a1c6e.jpg

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Granite is not a light gray. It also has strong brown tones. I bought my first granite after looking at a photos of another Lounge member’s hat. I was really surprised by the actual color when I received it. I love it, and have another on order, but I would not describe it as light gray. Best to put the color of the rock out of your mind when thinking about the hat color. Art is still taking new orders and a plans to continue until late summer or thereabouts.

Granite in varying light:

c77b01da342cb516c046edbf03f58871.jpg

cf747ed90e01a8a277bff4f43e3d4e9b.jpg

3c2bb61c0ccc90ab2dd70610b06a1c6e.jpg

oh good to know for the granite.
I can't remember if it was Art or another hatter that people were saying it takes a long time to get their order?

On another note, where does Art get his felt from? I'm asking because I'm in Canada and I think if everything is manufactured in the States (including the felt) I could get the duties and customs reimbursed

oh good to know for the granite.
I can't remember if it was Art or another hatter that people were saying it takes a long time to get their order?

On another note, where does Art get his felt from? I'm asking because I'm in Canada and I think if everything is manufactured in the States (including the felt) I could get the duties and customs reimbursed

As far as I know, Art, like Gannon, use Winchester from the US for their beaver felt hats. Art is probably four months out; not long for a custom hat. Give him a call and he’ll tell you what his queue is. Gannon will probably be much faster, but Art’s delivery times are quite reasonable. Some hatters delivery times run to years.

This is the Gannon thread and we should try to keep the conversation on his hats. You won’t be disappointed with a Gannon.

Last edited:
I definitely was looking for either a super light beige/sand or a very light grey
Then you might want to get a swatch in Bone to see if it might be what you want. It's pretty light but does have some light tan to cream undertones. So much of this depends on lighting.

Hornskov had a blue smoke
Not the same color or felt. Blue Smoke is proprietary to VS.

Then you might want to get a swatch in Bone to see if it might be what you want. It's pretty light but does have some light tan to cream undertones. So much of this depends on lighting.

Not the same color or felt. Blue Smoke is proprietary to VS.

Art lost his proprietary rights to any of Winchester’s colors. Any Winchester customer can order them now, but all his once proprietary colors have large minimum orders and can’t be ordered singly as stock colors can. According to Art, the bigger issue is that Winchester isn’t having much luck getting the special dye felts to turn out. Winchester recently failed to get dove right again and Art isn’t sure it will be available during his remaining tenure at VS.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
No, I would not consider Granite as light gray. You might consider Sahara for a light brown/sand tone.

View attachment 170932

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family

View attachment 170932
My Winchester granite isn't light gray, but more of a medium gray. It will appear darker or lighter depending on the lighting conditions. I know others have had strong brown tones in theirs, but mine seems to be mostly gray, at least to my eye.
07dfbcfc76ac586d629b3e0469c3b214.jpg
3ffb2d53c217451ba3d614163cf5a72b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Winchester granite isn't light gray, but more of a medium gray. It will appear darker or lighter depending on the lighting conditions. I know others have had strong brown tones in theirs, but mine seems to be mostly gray, at least to my eye.
07dfbcfc76ac586d629b3e0469c3b214.jpg
3ffb2d53c217451ba3d614163cf5a72b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have 2 granite...one has a decidedly brown undertone while the other is a mid grey with very little brown. Both Winchestet beaver just differing order placement and diff makers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe