Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lovely art deco furniture

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I like the roll top they have. But 4,400 is a bit much for my budget.... They have some really nice stuff, I also like the display cabinets. Thanks for the link Carlos.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
my favorite is the hall stand
f013.jpg

A Modernist classic re-issued. Chrome or nickel plated. Beveled mirror, glass shelf, removable umbrella tip tray. Very well made.
Dimensions: 200 x 77 x 27 cm (depth of hat shelf).
Prices: 1.200 eur.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here are a couple of similar websites. I love checking this stuff out, but woohoo, the prices. What I've learned is this. The French and Italian stuff with the gorgeous finishes go in the thousands. Very similar English or American stuff, in oak and walnut, meant for a more middle class market, will go in the hundreds. And there is a lot of really stunning English stuff out there.
In general, you find fancy expensive items that makes your mouth water, and then look for similar but much less expensive stuff on places like Ebay, etc. You'd be amazed what nice things you'll find once you really educate yourself and learn to recognize inherent quality.

http://www.maordeco.com/index.htm
http://modernism.com/index.cfm

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I'm not so sure what a lot of what they offer is "Art Deco" To me, most of strikes me as mid century... that's at least what I saw... the lighting fixtures were really mid century.

Art Deco originally was very cluttered and used very sharp and random lines as well as other design aspects. Most of the items I saw them offering were very clean and basic or streamlined. Deco of the 20s to the early 30s was very busy and bold but tasteful.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Some skilled artisans may be able to reproduce these pieces... We have the photos and we may be able to make some blueprints from the photos. But would it be cheaper and easier?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I purchased this cocktail cabinet about 15 years ago through the classified advertisements in the weekend paper,I added the internal light. it was made in Sydney Australia in the late 1930s, It has the name of the shop where it was sold from on the back, but I've forgotten the name and its far too heavy to move to have a look!

3158750197_f5493689ec_m.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
The prices on this website are pretty close to the prices I saw in SF for a lot of the same sort of stuff. Nice, but ya gotta win a lottery or something. I get the impression that these antique dealers don't exactly move a lot of stuff out the door. One guy I bought a lot of stuff from kept his prices (seemingly) ridiculously low. The thing is, he always had new stuff and there was always something to buy!! I guess part of his logic was "hey, I only make a smaller percentage of profit on each piece, but the longer it sits here, the more it costs me."

A friend of mine and I were planning on setting up a business producing good quality knock-offs of what you see up there. He had the brilliant idea of employing out-of-work movie set builders and designers to do much of the work.

Then he committed suicide and the plan came to naught.[huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
English sideboard

Here's the English oak sideboard I got last June on Ebay. I got a great deal on it, and even after the exhorbitant shipping (from Texas) it was a bargain. I just looked at Ebay, and of course the French stuff is in the thousands, but there are other things in the few hundred range. One nice waterfall deco sideboard has a $285 price attached. So, there's stuff for almost any budget (as long as it's not zero. ;) )
SideboardMama.jpg

Mama thinks she goes nicely with the oak finish. I agree.
SideboardMamacloseup.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
my favorite is the hall stand
f013.jpg

A Modernist classic re-issued. Chrome or nickel plated. Beveled mirror, glass shelf, removable umbrella tip tray. Very well made.
Dimensions: 200 x 77 x 27 cm (depth of hat shelf).
Prices: 1.200 eur.

It's like Charles Rennie Mackintosh the way it stands but reinterpreted in the later Streamline style.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Love that hall stand.

A friend in Switzerland has a similar sort of one but with some embossed flowers in the metal, a bit like the sideboard carving. I wanted to pack it up and steal it when I saw it!

Sadly, all a bit expensive for me. Sigh! These sites are great for drooling over though.

Mojito

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
I purchased this cocktail cabinet about 15 years ago through the classified advertisements in the weekend paper,I added the internal light. it was made in Sydney Australia in the late 1930s, It has the name of the shop where it was sold from on the back, but I've forgotten the name and its far too heavy to move to have a look!

3158750197_f5493689ec_m.jpg
Lovely cocktail cabinet, Binkie, but I'm dying to see a closeup of the bronze (?) on top! Original or repro? Chiparus, Colinet, Preiss or...??

Some stunning pieces in this thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe