Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy an A-2 jacket, opinions...

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I'm a novice when it comes to leather jackets. Does goatskin require a break-in period like horsehide where it will eventually soften up a little, or is it already as soft as it gets?

My US-A jacket is very stiff compared to my goatskin Alpha A-2. I have been wearing the Alpha A-2 for about 3 years now, but can't remember if it also started out stiff like this.

Peacoat

Bartender
Morrison is correct. I have a 1962 Brill Bros. G-1 in goat that doesn't look its age. There is some nice creasing, looks almost like horse, but there is no patina. No way does it look to be 53 years old.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Goat does need a little breaking in. It may be somewhat stiff and awkward looking at first. Depending on how it's tanned. It may only take a few wears or a few weeks. Of the several goat hides I've owned, only one didn't need breaking in. One remained somewhat stiff until I sold it a couple of years later.

Needles to say other hides will need much more of a break in period. My FQHH Aero halfbelt was 10 years old. Never quit broke in or felt "relaxed".

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
It may be somewhat stiff and awkward looking at first.
Thanks, it is good to know that's normal. I have been wearing it these last few days and the jacket does seem to be softening up from its original stiffness, I'm very happy with how it's starting to fit.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed their advice and opinions in this thread, it was much appreciated!

And I'll definitely put a good word in for US Authentic, they made a product I'm proud to wear! :D

US Authentic A-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld