Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for an understated Perfecto style jacket

ckramer

New in Town
As the title would imply I am looking for a Perfecto-style leather jacket but as it will not be solely for riding purposes I don't want it to be quite as hardware heavy as the 618 and the various Aero styles (i.e. the MC or the J106). Basically I really like the asymmetrical styling and the sort of trench coat collar of the Perfecto but I don't need a lot of zippers or the belt.

The IDEAL would be zippered cuffs and a D pocket and not much else as far as hardware goes. Epaulettes are fine too.

Thanks for any and all help you guys can give!

-A

armscye

One of the Regulars
I have an Excelled Perfecto-style jacket that presented the same issue: I wanted its beefy leather, offset zipper, and zip sleeves, but not the young-Brando "Wild Bunch" vibe that seems to scare waitresses and convenience store clerks.

My solution was to have the epaulets removed, stop wearing the belt, change the nickel snaps for antique brass, and dull-down the finish a bit with a machine washing. Luckily, it had no D-pocket. Now it looks almost like an aviation-pattern jacket, but more substantial.

IXL

One Too Many
You might consider a Vanson CHP model. It does have belt loops but is supplied sans belt. Lancer zip front, no epaulets, only two hand warmer pockets, zip sleeves, and brass hardware.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
As the title would imply I am looking for a Perfecto-style leather jacket but as it will not be solely for riding purposes I don't want it to be quite as hardware heavy as the 618 and the various Aero styles (i.e. the MC or the J106). Basically I really like the asymmetrical styling and the sort of trench coat collar of the Perfecto but I don't need a lot of zippers or the belt.

The IDEAL would be zippered cuffs and a D pocket and not much else as far as hardware goes. Epaulettes are fine too.

Thanks for any and all help you guys can give!

-A
I would get a Langlitz cascade with a dress collar. They are great, simple jackets, with superb craftsmanship and service. No d pocket though.
If you need a d pocket get onto Alan at Johnson leathers. He will make you one to any spec you desire. A great price, great quality, and he is a lovely guy to deal with and has many fans.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Like Monitor suggested, the Alexander Detroit seems to be just what you're looking for and Bunyip's suggestion about a modded jacket from Langlitz or J.L. is also "first rate"! Vanso's Captain America also sounds like something you'd like

Worf

wanz

One of the Regulars
I've been very happy with my Detroit (the one posted on filmjackets.com - didn't feel like taking part in the Aero / Alexander arguing that was going on here at the time which is why I didn't post it here). I had the same basic requirements asymmetrical design without much hardware. It has a bit of edge to it without scaring off the townfolk.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really dislike all the extra "bing" on the perfectos as well, I ended up with an AL Detroit as has been suggested which is very much the same as the Aero Bootlegger. They both hare the same basic style as the perfectos without too many zips, belts or epaulettes.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Take a look at Nick123's Johnson Leathers jacket in the classifieds right now. Might be what you're looking for. They're out of San Francisco and I've heard nothing but good thigs about them.

wanz

One of the Regulars
That's a great looking jacket in brown!

Here's a shot of my Detroit for those without filmjackets access...

P1000787_zps322dc441.jpg

pipvh

Practically Family
I think the ELMC Windward is pretty nice.

But the Detroit is great, and so is the AL Oakland (which I like better, personally - alas, I've been forbidden any new lancer-type jackets on the grounds that I've reached mutton-dressed-as-lamb territory... :mad:).

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The Aero Bootlegger design is the one I'd recommend. Mine was my third Aero (after a AN6552 and a wool Waterfront), and of wll of them it gets the most wear. The Detroit name I didn't know, but from the photo obviously it's their take on the Bootlegger design. Schott do a really nice looking jacket called something like the Vintage Perfecto.... basically this with a D pocket. I looked at them on eBay recently, though at the kind of money they were (LE, I think), personally I'd much rather go Aero.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Take a look at Nick123's Johnson Leathers jacket in the classifieds right now. Might be what you're looking for. They're out of San Francisco and I've heard nothing but good thigs about them.

Yes and I'm a fool for selling it, but with that being said, the Johnson route would fit the bill. Also Norshor leather or a BK Duke possibly?

ckramer

New in Town
Wow thank you all for responding so quickly! All great responses and I will be looking over all the above mentioned options over the next few days. I won't be able to order anything for a month or so but it's nice to have so many good options!

ckramer

New in Town
If anyone else is looking, you can order the "Escape (From New York)" jacket from Magnoli Clothiers in brown, dark brown, and black without the antique/screen accurate finishing, thus leaving it a beautiful reproduction 1930s motorcycle jacket similar to the Detroit jacket mentioned earlier.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
If you are really after a D pocket, with zip sleeves, and epaulettes like the Aero King of the Road or Daytona, but toned down, I'm sure they could remove the belt, and use blacked out hardware. Simple change, all the style, less bling.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld