Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for an RAF sheepskin flying jacket

Lash

New in Town
I'm looking to buy an original RAF sheepskin flying jacket (size 36), but don't really know where to start. I didn't see any on vintagetrends.com and couldn't find anywhere that sells originals. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does the RAF sheepskin look good on a slim guy (5'11, 140lbs) or should I look for a different sheepskin? If so, do you have any recommendations?

I've never even owned a leather jacket before, but saw pictures of these and thought they looked like the warmest jackets on earth. So, sorry if these are noobie questions.

/|\

One of the Regulars
They often show up on eBay and eBay UK. Just be aware that some are called 'original Irvin', but they're not original WWII Irvins. They're new jackets by the name-holder (Aviation Leathercraft). There are people here who offer theirs for sale from time to time.

I have a Coastal Command jacket (with the hood) that I can never wear. Might be about a 36. I'm 5' 11" (and considerably heavier than you), and the arms are too short for me even if the torso fit. And none of the zips work. (There's only one slider, on a sleeve.) I've been given contact information for some people at/affiliated with the Museum of Flight in Everett, WA who may be able to help me find acceptable replacements. But since I can't wear it anyway, I'm in no hurry. Coastal Command jackets don't come up as often as the other ones, and I wanted it 'for the collection'.

I have a What Price Glory (WPG) jacket that I like. It's not as authentic as other repros, but if you read the reviews on this site it's a good value for the money. It costs about 1/3 what the high-end repros cost, and 1/4 to 1/5 what I've seen excellent originals go for.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a size 3 electrically wired Irvin in amazing condition, which dates to 1940. It would equate to your size. If you are interested I can email you photos.

Lash

New in Town
/ | \
Thanks for the info, that WPG jacket looks like a nice backup in case I can't find an original.

aswatland
I'd love to see some photos of the Irvin. Could you send them to me in a message, or e-mail them to lashtaylor@gmail.com?

/|\

One of the Regulars
/ | \
Thanks for the info, that WPG jacket looks like a nice backup in case I can't find an original.

It works for me. Alas, I'm a Fat Boring Old Far... 'Fellow' and I have no hope of finding an original Irvin in 46 (modern size). :(

One day I'll get an Eastman, but for now the WPG suits me fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe