Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lookin' to buy a new Akubra. Maybe a Tablelands, maybe a Cattleman

Duper

Practically Family
Hi guys, well it has been many moons since a new hat has arrived at my door step and I'm getting the fever again.

So here it goes. A couple of crown height and style questions.

Anyone own a Tablelands? If so how is the crown height? I own a couple of Banjo Patersons so if anyone can compare the crowns on those two models that would be great. From images I have seen they look very similar.

Also I'm considering a Cattleman. I own a Stockman so if anyone can compare the crowns on those two models it would be great as well. Again their images look very similar for the crowns but the Cattleman's looks like it is styled a little higher in the front. Noggintops and David Morgan and EA list slightly different info.

Thanks folks!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Stockman and a Cattleman. The crowns on both are a tad higher in the front than the back. The Cattleman's crown is indeed a bit taller. If the front of the Stockman crown is 4-1/8 or 4-1/4, the Cattleman is 4-3/4 or 4-7/8.

I love both hats. The Stockman is my cool weather hiking hat, being lined and shorter-brimmed (and less likely to blow off!) The Cattleman is for the summer, being unlined with six ventilation grommets (and also, it's the lighter Sand/Silverbelly color that doesn't absorb heat like the Glen Grey Stockman). It's also definitely a better shade hat with its extra half-inch of turned-down-all-around brim.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have the Cattleman in the Fawn color which I got from David Morgan this past year. It and my Bushman get the most wear of my 5 Akubra's. I have taken the liner out of mine due to it's two total immersions in a stock tank out at a stables where I work a couple of horses I have. ( for whatever reason, one of my horses DOES NOT LIKE this hat and has gotten it off my head and kicked it, or head butted it into the tank. My Bushman doesn't phase him at all :) ) Like all my Akubra's, it is a hat which "takes a kickin and keeps on tickin" as they say. Both of these have 3 1/4" brims which are GREAT for shading the face and neck. For that reason alone I would recomend the Cattleman.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the fast replies fellas!

I'm curious, Dr Strange's Cattleman was unlined and monbla256 removed his liner. monbla256 is a recent purchase from David Morgan.

What "vintage" is yours Dr Strange and where did you acquire it? Was it a mail order from Down Under? Did it come with or without a liner?

I am guessing the liner would be the only difference as the Cattleman in fawn and sand are stock hats for Akubra and probably in their top 3 for sales if it isn't their number 1 seller. They wouldn't tinker with their "bread and butter" too much.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I got my Cattleman via the Internet from Aussie Bush Hats and Oilskins (an Australian dealer) about four years ago. It wasn't a special order for the Sand color (whereas my Stockman in Glen Grey - same dealer, a few months earlier - had the Dread Three-Month Wait!) I asked in an email before buying if it was unlined, because even then I had the impression that some Cattleman models were lined. It was unlined. And it does NOT have the chin-strap-hook grommets a la David Morgan.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the fast replies fellas!

I'm curious, Dr Strange's Cattleman was unlined and monbla256 removed his liner. monbla256 is a recent purchase from David Morgan.

What "vintage" is yours Dr Strange and where did you acquire it? Was it a mail order from Down Under? Did it come with or without a liner?

I am guessing the liner would be the only difference as the Cattleman in fawn and sand are stock hats for Akubra and probably in their top 3 for sales if it isn't their number 1 seller. They wouldn't tinker with their "bread and butter" too much.

The Cattleman is Akubra's #1 seller in Australia, is in their "Country" line of hats and as many of the Aussie market hats ( as sold by Aussie retailers) is UN lined. All of the Akubra's DM sells have a lining in them. As for the chinstrap eylets, the Cattleman has 3 BIG venting Eylets above 'em and once the hat is on my head, I can't see 'em so no big deal :) I buy from DM as I like to have part of my $s I pay for an imported item stay in the US. :)

Duper

Practically Family
Could I ask you fellas to actually take the tape measure to your Cattlemans?

I'm really liking the idea of the fuller crown height. Unfortunately I modified the crown on my Stockman so I could have a higher crown and I no longer have that point of reference. If the Cattleman is over 4 1/2 or more in front that would be great.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Could I ask you fellas to actually take the tape measure to your Cattlemans?

I'm really liking the idea of the fuller crown height. Unfortunately I modified the crown on my Stockman so I could have a higher crown and I no longer have that point of reference. If the Cattleman is over 4 1/2 or more in front that would be great.

My Cattleman has had two total dunkings in a stock tank and I have re- creased it back to the Aussie Cattleman crease both times and at the present mine is 4 1/8" at the front and DM lists it as a crown hght of 4". I don't know if you could maintain the "stock" crease much taller so if that's what you want, you might need to look at another model of Akubra. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Duper, my Cattleman (size 57) crown measures 4" in front and 3-3/8" at the back. (My Stockman is about 1/4" shorter at both ends.)

Not as tall as I thought! Sorry to mislead you...

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for measuring guys. I altered my Stockman to have a higher crown, so maybe I need to think about this a bit.

I really appreciate your input.

I'm surprised there are so few Tablelands owners. From the images on EA I really like the brown olive shade they offer. Also I have never had a hat with the eyelets so it intrigues me a bit.

I think they are a top seller in OZ as they are a "stocked" hat like the Cattleman.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to Akubra's Top Ten Seller list (published 12/16/2010), the Tablelands is their 8th most popular hat.

I like the looks of it, but it's too tapered for me.

ptjoe

Familiar Face
I recently looked at the Akubra Cattleman sold by a retailer in the U.S..
It is lined and has a small hole just above the hatband, lower than the 3 vent holes above.
All other Akubra Cattleman hats that I've looked at from Australian vendors are unlined and just the 3 vent holes in a straight row.
Is the U.S. version an older style, discontinued model or strictly for U.S. sales.
Anyone have any thoughts or seen a Cattleman Akubra with a lining and possibly a chin strap hole? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82