Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living in America: The BEST place to live and work?

D

DeaconKC

I like to be where you can order iced tea for breakfast and not get a funny look from the waitress. Oh and generally the more pickups there are, the friendlier the people. Only reason I go back to Chicago is the food and occasional White Sox or Bears Game.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
DeaconKC said:
Oh and generally the more pickups there are, the friendlier the people.
Tennessee! I would leave Jacksonville in a heartbeat for Crossville Tn. or a similar smalltown there. where I don't hear sirens every 5 minutes every night I sit out in the hammock. Where there are 4 seasons instead of hot and hotter.:D

Sunny

One Too Many
Readin' my mind, DB - San Antonio was to be my secondary recommendation for those who want more temperate weather. Granted, I haven't lived there; but I've visited numerous times and one of my roommates did live there. General lack of severe weather, and on the whole I think it's not as hot as DFW. I think the humidity's comparable, meaning on the whole it's pretty temperate; although both cities have their moments. Houston's a whole 'nother ballgame, though! College Station was bad enough!

Diamondback said:
Partial agreement with the lovely young lady from the Metroplex: for me, San Antonio was "love at first sight"--although the low humidity dry-heat while I was there may have been a fluke of weather... my ideal would be a nice big chunk of undeveloped property in that general area. (No, I wouldn't be building a development, just my own little "safehouse"--pay no attention to those belt-fed machineguns on the porch or that interceptor parked in the driveway:eek:lol--but I could be convinced to add a guesthouse or two onto the plans...)

Miss Sunny, looks like we're at an impasse here...:eek: DFW half the year, SA other half?;)

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
David Conwill said:
Northwest Michigan

I'm in Michigan right now, and a lot further north and west than Muskegon (Houghton, 100 miles northwest of Marquette). Muskegon isn't even halfway up the mitten.

Housing is cheap in Michigan because everybody is running away! Jobs are... well, you can find them. Depends on the industry. Our economy is kinda falling apart right now, though.

Tornadoes do occur, but not as often as some places.
We do get snow, but we know how to deal with it. Amounts vary greatly with location.
It gets cold in the winter, but that's what wool is for!
It gets hot in the summer, and we have beaches. Some of them are pretty nice.
There are some pretty good public Universities.
Large variety of... everything. If you want raw urban decrepitude, there is Detroit. Liberal college town? Ann Arbor. Wineries and ski resorts? Traverse City. Large tracts of wilderness for hiking, camping, and cross-country skiing? North-west upper peninsula.
No earthquakes, tidal waves, hurricanes, volcanoes, etc.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've lived in Nebraska all my life and all my life I've wanted to live somewhere else. lol But circumstances haven't turned out that way.

Nebraska isn't an ideal place to live - though our motto is The Good Life, the taxes are outrageous. I've lived in the extreme western part of the state and now live in the extreme eastern part of the state (Lincoln/Omaha area) and the differences are night and day - in attitudes, weather, economy, and landscape.

I do like living in a university town, though, especially since we have an awesome library. ;)

I've always wanted to live in Virginia, though, for some reason. Lots and lots of Revolutionary War history and Civil War history. I've never been into Native American history or western history, which is yet another reason why living in Nebraska was/is difficult.

Now that my stepson is going into high school next year and hubby has a job where he is already moving up the ladder, I doubt we'll be moving anywhere anytime soon.

My ideal life? Having a cottage in England where I can retreat to during the miserable Nebraska summers. :D

Decodence

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
Aside from the (presently) crummy economy, it's like heaven on earth. I can't stand the thought that I might have to leave here to find work.

-Dave
I never considered heaven on earth as having 320+ days of overcast gray skies per year. ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
obiwan said:
The one place we always seem to agree on is Wyoming, although we have many friends who have left California for Idaho.

Have you ever been to Wyoming? There isn't much traffic there for a reason. (But then, I'm a city woman.)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Have you ever been to Wyoming? There isn't much traffic there for a reason. (But then, I'm a city woman.)

Wyoming has some beautiful places - Devil's Tower comes to mind. And I always liked Cheyenne. But yes, it is pretty sparsely populated. And gas was ALWAYS cheaper in WY when I was growing up. :)

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Ohio is high taxes, 5 degree winters and sticky 95 degree summers. Nice fall though.
Can't recommend here. Go west.

I couldn't agree more. I grew up in Toledo, went to college in Athens (my favorite place in Ohio), lived in Cincinnati for 2 years, spent a lot of time in Columbus, and now I live just west of Cleveland. Can't recommend Ohio either.

I have friends all over the country, but my friends who live in Charlotte, NC talk about it like it's paradise. I've also heard wonderful things about Tennessee.
I really liked the eastern part of Virginia, too, but I hear it's hideously expensive.

So I guess I'd say, go South :D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mrswheats said:
... but my friends who live in Charlotte, NC talk about it like it's paradise ...

My apologies to your friends (and mine, as well) who live in Charlotte, but THERE AIN'T ENOUGH MONEY IN THE WORLD TO MAKE ME WANT TO LIVE IN CHARLOTTE. Of course, you must remember I am a "country boy" and definitely not a "city boy". In my opinion, in NC there is nothing good east of I-77. :D

I say all of this lightheartedly, of course. If you like the things that Charlotte and eastern NC offer, you will be pleased. But, it's not for me. I like the mountains and the small towns of western NC.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
adamjaskie said:
Muskegon isn't even halfway up the mitten.

Don't hold it against me. ;) Still, I consider "northern" Michigan to start at about the Saginaw Bay line. The climate, the scenery, and the attitudes all start to change right about the time you hit Grand Haven. Things get better even further north, but the economy gets all the worse.

As for the UP... you guys are like another country up there! Albeit one I enjoy visiting very much.

Decodence said:
I never considered heaven on earth as having 320+ days of overcast gray skies per year. ;)

:p You're just jealous because we have water. I don't think you could pay me to live in the desert!

-Dave

Haversack

One Too Many
Miss Elise wrote: "i wouldn't mind living somewhere where the tap water is really quailty...as in clean, crisp, clear drinking water... any such places in the US?

Well, the three US places where I've spent most of my life all have excellent tap water drawn from watersheds derived from mountain snow melt. (And I've travelled around enough to know how bad it can be elsewhere.)

Sacramento, California.

Eugene, Oregon.

San Francisco, California.

As a case in point: Eugene had (when I lived there), over 6 brew pubs, (5 in walking distance of home). Springfield, on the other side of the freeway, had one. Besides demographics, the big difference was the water. Eugene drew its water from high up on the Mckenzie river. Springfield's came from a variety of wells, each with its own 'character'. Try being a brewer when the ph level of your water suddenly changes!

Haversack.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I'm still waiting for the ribbon cutting of Fedoraville! The Amish have their community, we should have ours! If everyone of The Fedora Lounge lived in Fedoraville, the population would be thriving. Ahhh....what a paradise it would be.

Decodence

A-List Customer
David Conwill said:
:p You're just jealous because we have water. I don't think you could pay me to live in the desert!

-Dave
Having spent 22 years of my life living in MI, I can assuredly say the chilly water really isn't all that ;) The blue skies out my window 9 days out of 10 more than makes up for the lack of water. That being said, I may return for a long weekend for the 4th. We'll see.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
AmateisGal said:
Wyoming has some beautiful places - Devil's Tower comes to mind. And I always liked Cheyenne. But yes, it is pretty sparsely populated. And gas was ALWAYS cheaper in WY when I was growing up. :)

Wyoming is wonderful! If you like cold, wind and antelope. :D

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
This topic will always be heavily weighted by personal bias. For example, if you can't hack the cold, the northern states are not a good idea. For me, I would have a hard time living somewhere without four seasons. I actually like winter as long as we receive enough snow for cross country skiing. I've lived my entire life in Minnesota and generally like it here; the economy is generally good, the schools sytems are better than most states, the water is clean, the air is clean, the health care system is good, strong colleges and universities, housing is more affordable than many areas, strong arts and cultural attractions............

I live in the Twin Cities but grew up in Lake Wobegon. Professional jobs are hard to come by in smaller cities. That is unfortunate as there are plenty of areas in Minnesota that are very beautiful; the North Shore of Lake Superior, Southeastern Minnesota along the river, Northern Minnesota forest and lakes area. I'd consider these parts of the state but for less options for employment.

Other areas of the country I'd consider if I were to move:
Pacific Northwest
New England

Sunny

One Too Many
Like nobodyspecial says, this IS all about personal bias. For most of us, what we're accustomed to is the most comfortable, especially in terms of climate. I was struck by your alternative selections - Pacific NW and New England. They are very different from Minnesota in many ways, but as far as climate goes they're far more similar than Texas, or Arizona, or Florida would be.

I'm the first to admit that I'm the same way. I was born in the same city I live in now, and I like the climate. I don't handle cold well; I get chilly very easily, and am uncomfortable in A/C lower than 72F. OTOH, while I don't LOVE working in 90+ or 100+ degree heat, I can sure take it. I can take weeks and months of highs in the 90s or more and lows barely in the 70s. If I moved to Minnesota, I would be quite miserable for quite some time. I wonder how long it would take me to adapt.

I want to hear from the Loungers who have lived in very different climates for many years (not just a college career, for example). For example, from Texas to the northeast, or from Arizona to the Pacific Northwest. How have you adapted, or haven't you? Did you enjoy the change? Did your attitude toward either climate change over the years?

shepkatt

Familiar Face
San Diggity is where I am

I have never lived anywhere except San Diego.. Definitely the best weather around.. cost of living, traffic and home prices make it a bit more difficult to tout as the best place to live and work. I have traveled all over the US for work and while there have been many places that I loved visiting - I am a Cali girl at heart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe