Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LINER WITH PLASTIC, NAPHTHA CLEANING RESULTS (pictures)

Magus

Practically Family
Greetings all.

In the cause of advancing our knowledge base here at the lounge I placed a satin Champ liner with the plastic top in a Naphtha bath last night. It was badly yellowed. To simulate a good cleaning I left it in overnight.

The results are below: The liner in its pre-bath state.

STA70005.JPG
:

And afterwards.

STA70005a1.JPG

As you can see a perfectly cleaned liner with no harm to the platic. The lack of "shininess to the gold in the loge is simply camara angle. It still has a nice metalic look to it. Though I can't speak for every hat, every time. Hope this answers some questions.

M

J.B.

Practically Family
Magus said:
Greetings all.

In the cause of advancing our knowledge base here at the lounge I placed a satin Champ liner with the plastic top in a Naphtha bath last night. It was badly yellowed. To simulate a good cleaning I left it in overnight.

The results are below: The liner in its pre-bath state....

And afterwards....

As you can see a perfectly cleaned liner with no harm to the platic. The lack of "shininess to the gold in the loge is simply camara angle. It still has a nice metalic look to it. Though I can't speak for every hat, every time. Hope this answers some questions.

M

Good Show! Thanks for the info!!!

I've got three with the plastic liner to attempt this on... :)

Magus

Practically Family
Razzman said:
When you refer to the Naptha bath, does that mean you submerged the entire hat and let it soak overnight?

Yes Razz. It was soaked and submerged int he naphtha in a sealed container overnight.

M

Feraud

Bartender
Back to the naptha question..

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Would it work on other articles of vintage clothing? It seems one could soak say,..a fine suit in naptha, and expect it to survive unscathed? [huh]
How about naptha on a smaller scale than a vintage suit. Would a naptha bath work on a stained tie? Does anyone have naptha and an old tie they are willing to experiement on?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've tried Naphtha to clean old liquid stains (coffee, gravy, soup) found on vintage ties (50+ years old). Tried dabbing, rubbing and even soaking. No luck. The stains were too set in.

The Naphtha didn't hurt the ties, but didn't help them either. Guess it depends on the stain.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I would guess that naphtha would be most effective on oily (hair oil, finger marks) or petrochemical-based stains; probably wouldn't do much for water stains or other marks that didn't involve a substance soluble in naphtha.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
What about the leather??

Hey, Magus,

How does the leather and its embossing fare in this case? It appeared from your photos that the sweatband had been removed. I ask only because I have a few that could use some sprucing up, but I can't even sew a button on straight, much less remove and replace a leather band!!:(

Magus

Practically Family
PutALidOnIt said:
Hey, Magus,

How does the leather and its embossing fare in this case? It appeared from your photos that the sweatband had been removed. I ask only because I have a few that could use some sprucing up, but I can't even sew a button on straight, much less remove and replace a leather band!!:(

The Pics are just of a spare liner that I have...and was willing to sacrifice. The leather sweatband on the hat was uneffected other than a very light film that wiped off with a damp cloth.

I have not posted pictures of the hat. I can...but..I don't know if I ahve "before" pictures.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally