Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Grey Hats with Grey Beards?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
OK, here's what I'm going to try...

1) An open crown hat so I can choose a bash that assures enough room atop my big old noggin. Plus I can experiment with the unpinched look I think I will like.

2) Taupe instead of light grey for (hopefully) maximum flexibility given my clothing habits and the fact I already have a navy blue hat. Basically something warm rather than cool, color-wise.

A recent small windfall gives me just enough (well, nearly enough) cash to splurge on just about anything I like, short of a custom hat. So the choice is Ta Da! a Borsalino Alessandria in taupe, assuming besdor's stockroom has one in my 7-3/4" size.

AlessandriaSteelGry.jpg

The one in the middle is taupe, albeit creased and pinched in a way different than I have in mine.

P.S. No offense to Lounge social norms intended but I am aware of the undeniable qualities of vintage hats, that is simply not the kind of thing I am willing to wear upon my head. As they say, not that there's anything wrong with that! Just not my thing.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Yeah, the price on Borsalinos is pretty off-putting. I'd really love to have Art Fawcett build me a hat and all up the price difference is roughly US$100 which as you point out isn't all that huge.

But I'm just way not-ready to say with any assurance exactly what I'm looking for in a hat. So in addition to the two low, tapered crown hats I've tried (and found less than ideal for my high-crowed head) I want to try at least one generic hat built on a little fuller lines like I'd expect to get with a VS.

The rational thing to do is find something with a full, open crown for about half the cost of the Alessandria. And if a guy hadn't just handed me a $200 check for an out-of-print book I paid $38 for in 2006 I wouldn't be willing to splash for the Borsa. But it's sort of "found money" so what the heck.

Short answer, I expect a conversation with Mr. Fawcett a few months hence but in the mean while I'm splurging for a ridiculously overprice Italian factory lid. How's that?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
options

dont forget the akubras: federation, stylemaster, squatter.
christys :adventurer

and maybe the stetson nostalgia (although the crown isnt so high on this one)

as for custom. you have art fawcett, penman, and mary-ann of couture creations (she is in pennsylvania outside philly) i intent to place an order with her when i get chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld