Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Blue/Gray Stetson 3X Beaver

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Well, it finally arrived. What an absolutely gorgeous hat. A light blue/gray that is just beautiful. It is clear that this hat has been gently worn, but it is in excellent condition.

This is my first 3X Beaver, and I like this felt very much -- medium weight, but very soft and smooth to the touch. The open crown height is 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 3/4". Width of the ribbon is 1 1/2", and the width of the edge binding is 5/8". The liner is sewn-in. There are two stickers behind the sweat at the rear of the hat -- a red/white John B. Stetson/Philadelphia sticker with size information, and a re-order sticker. The crown of the liner has no protective layer of either translucent material or plastic. Don't know if Stetsons like this ever came without such a liner protector, or whether the owner simply removed it. [The original owner, apparently a doctor, felt the need to ink his name onto both sides of the liner. Ah, well...] There is a store price sticker under the sweat that indicates the hat sold for $15.

Given the interest in this hat, I have taken some pains to document it photographically. After cleaning it up a bit, I lightly steamed it back into an open crown. The next step was to give it a center dent bash in order to get a sense of what this lid looks like with a center dent. After that, time for the teardrop...;)

The photographs are all taken outdoors in natural light. What is interesting is how the hat takes on different tones depending on the light. For the most part, it has a definite light blue quality. In flatter light (as in the teardrop photos), there is a bit more light gray in the mix.

I have posted more photos than I would ordinarily -- but I hope this helps to give folks a real sense of this beautiful lid.

Cheers,
JtL

Open Crown...

OpenCrown1.jpg

OpenCrown2.jpg

OpenCrown3.jpg

3XLiner.jpg

Inside.jpg

3XSweat.jpg

BM.jpg

Stitching.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
Very nice indeed.

Not my colour, but I think you have a be a very secure sort of bloke to pull off pastel colours like that. I'm too much of a big girl's blouse to get away with that sort of colour. :eek:

You really do a very neat job of those teardrops, don't you? And this hat seems to take that shape very well.

Good job.

fatwoul

Practically Family
bolthead said:
...I personally think it looks best w/ the teardrop bash...

Definitely. The teardrop looks great.

I also just noticed how wide the brim trim is. Suits the hat, though.

Duck

Practically Family
Absolutely beautiful, Jimmy. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
A very fine lid indeed!!!!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Many, many thanks, Gents! I really appreciate all of the nice comments. The teardrop is the look I'm going with on this lid. I think it suits this hat perfectly. I did want to include some center dent shots just so folks could see how that looked, as well.

fatwoul said:
Not my colour, but I think you have a be a very secure sort of bloke to pull off pastel colours like that.

Actually, fatwoul, I really think this color is a very nice alternative to a traditional gray hat. It makes for a look that is something different and more unique, and I really like that. It looks particularly sharp with a black or navy overcoat.

Cheers,
JtL

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
JTL, You've certainly got a winner, there. Isn't it delightful to be able to shape it so easily? It could look good with any bash, but the hat does seem to favor the teardrop. I also think you're on to something with the black or navy blue overcoat. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Absolutely Stunning. You will love the 3X. It is for me one of the best Stetson offered.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I knew it was a winner from the ebay pics. Personally I'm partial to the center dent or the diamond. But by golly Jimmy you paid for it, you shape it the way you want. The only dilema having so many great hats is trying to decide which one to wear. From the pics you've been posting lately I think you are in that situation.

What amazes me is that the 3X hats were supposedly the lower quality ones, but then you see so many pics of ones like this that makes you wonder if they were.

fedoralover

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, J.T. and Barry!

RBH said:
SWEET! I was digging on the center dent and WOW then there was a c-crown. Looks good both ways.

Let me tell ya that is a wide bound edge, and also let me tell ya... IT LOOKS GOOD!

Thanks, R! I know what you mean, it really does look good both ways. All in all, though, I think the teardrop is the way to go. Incidentally, you're right, it really is a wide bound edge -- but it's also a wider brim than you normally see on a hat like this. I think the combination really works. I also tend to favor brims that are 2 3/4" or more, so it's nice to finally have this kind of hat with a brim that wide (versus 2 1/2" on the Whippet, for example).

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
Absolutely Stunning. You will love the 3X. It is for me one of the best Stetson offered.

Thanks, Douglas -- much appreciated. I have read your posts in the past praising the 3X, and now I'm getting a sense of what you mean. I'm really liking it a lot already!

Cheers,
JtL

fatwoul

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Actually, fatwoul, I really think this color is a very nice alternative to a traditional gray hat. It makes for a look that is something different and more unique, and I really like that. It looks particularly sharp with a black or navy overcoat.

I hope I didn't come across as criticising the hat or your choice - I was really just criticising myself for not having the confidence to wear those sorts of colours.

It was meant as a compliment, really, that so many of your are confident enough to wear different colours. Yes, it was definitely a compliment, albeit a twisted one. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe