Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about WWII Brit plimsoles

Rooster

Practically Family
I just came across these on a site that does all kinds of repros. Can anybody give me any info on these as they were used in the WWII Brit army? I really don't know what to make of these, but they're quirky enough I think I might have to have a pair!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rooster, you've been nibbling again!!

...you have haven't you, a little bit of chicken feed here and there, sure no-one will notice, and before you know it, you waken up 100-years from now!!

Because you've forgotten to direct us to the site, or show us a photo!! Right...where are these plimsolls you've primed us all to see....?

Cobden

Practically Family
Army Plimsols should be brown for WWII, and be sort of..well...plimsol shaped. They were worn with PT kit, and in the early days commandos made use of them as they were notably quieter then great big hobnailed boots.

Rooster

Practically Family
PADDY said:
...you have haven't you, a little bit of chicken feed here and there, sure no-one will notice, and before you know it, you waken up 100-years from now!!

Because you've forgotten to direct us to the site, or show us a photo!! Right...where are these plimsolls you've primed us all to see....?
OK, OK....I have been out with the chickens this morning....lol
Here's the picture:
http://www.replicaters.com/ww2%20british%20army/boots%20andrew%202.jpg
British Army World War two (ww2,wwii) Canvas shoes or Plimsolls: Ochre canvas upper with leather sole. All sizes available. Price US$ 65 (UKP 34, Euro 55) delivered.
Here's the site:
http://www.replicaters.com/ww2britarmy.html
I'm intriged that these have leather soles.....MUST HAVE!lol

Cobden

Practically Family
Rooster said:
OK, OK....I have been out with the chickens this morning....lol
Here's the picture:
http://www.replicaters.com/ww2%20british%20army/boots%20andrew%202.jpg
British Army World War two (ww2,wwii) Canvas shoes or Plimsolls: Ochre canvas upper with leather sole. All sizes available. Price US$ 65 (UKP 34, Euro 55) delivered.
Here's the site:
http://www.replicaters.com/ww2britarmy.html
I'm intriged that these have leather soles.....MUST HAVE!lol

I must say, I don't think they are correct, I'm afraid. Replicaters is somewhat...renowned for rather interesting ideas about uniform and kit!

However, they are still a somewhat intriguing pair of shoes

Trotsky

A-List Customer
And those pictures from his site are lifted directly from the History and Collections volume on The British Soldier. And not just one, ALL of them.

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
Replicaters

Cobden said:
I must say, I don't think they are correct, I'm afraid. Replicaters is somewhat...renowned for rather interesting ideas about uniform and kit!

However, they are still a somewhat intriguing pair of shoes
Has anyone here at Fedora done business with them? I have heard thier
reputation is questionable at best,any comments on that?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The only good things I have heard about replicators are people who wanted a custom item not found elsewhere, so they sent replicators detailed instructions, pictures, diagrams, etc. of the thing to be produced and basically "held their hand" through the process.

I haven't heard of anybody getting high quality goods by just purchasing any "stock" items they have listed on their website.

Cobden

Practically Family
I have a set of JG's from him; the constructions accurate on the trousers(although it does have some suspicious belt loops), the shirts are okay but have the wrong buttons and the construction does seem a tad weird on the shirt, but not hugely wrong. My main problem is that his dye fixing is very screwy - the trousers have faded to almost a KD shade, and the shirt has turned very patchy.

His BD, naval square rig and RAF uniforms are all to be avoided at all costs. KD's are good from what I've seen, though

mikepara

Practically Family
Just so you know (if you want to?) I wore them when I first joined up and we knew them as Dappers. A frequent shout on show parades was "has anyone seen my Dappers?"

A great set of pics can be seen on pages 52/53 The World War II Tommy British Army Uniforms European Theatre 1939-45 Brayley & Ingram. Sorry no scanner or I'd have sent them in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld