Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
JEEP said:
Good to hear. It just looked cracked from the second pic. But maybe it it the light catching the bend of the crystal?
Good to hear that you won't be touching the dial of the Clinton - I personally much prefer a heavily patinated dial before a re-dial.

That's exactly what it is. And in regards to the patina, I like to keep things as original as possible, be it hats or watches.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Talbot said:
Dave,

Helios are still in business:

http://www.helioswatch.com/go.html

You might be able to get some info from them. I understand that they manufactured german military watches at some stage, so that excites the interest a bit. I can't see your first pic for some reason. Are there any serial numbers or engravings on the rear of the case? Are they solid or removeable pins?

Lucky Strike said:
The top one is very similar to the German WWII military watches. Are there any markings on the back? If it's a military issued German watch it should have a "D" (for Dienstuhr - service watch)in front of the serial number, and likely an "H" (for Heer - army) after the serial number. Like this: D 593733 H.

If this checks out, the movement could very likely be the A. Schild 1130 (AS 1130) "Wehrmachtswerk".

Wehrmacht issued watches had the serial number recorded into the service member's pay book and the watches were expected to be returned to the service upon discharge. The watches could also be purchased by the service members, this would be entered in their paybooks.

A few examples, made by various contractors: http://www.militarychronos.com/category.php?cid=18

I didn't find the Helios website to be terribly helpful myself. I just checked out my watch and the back just says "Stainless Steel" (in English). I suspect this is probably a post-war watch, 1950s maybe. The pins are solid, a feature I'd never noticed until I was asked.

-Dave

JEEP

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
That's exactly what it is. And in regards to the patina, I like to keep things as original as possible, be it hats or watches.

You and I both :)

I have seen way too many beautifully patinated watches "repaired" beyond salvation.

Look at this forexample:

PICT1675.jpg

Some might say that this old (1950/51) black dial is ruined - but I find it extremely beautifull, I call that patina for "stardust" patina.

Here's another example:

Seamaster_01_07.jpg

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Your first vintage watch! Isn't it about time to get rid of it then?;) ;) ;)

From my cold dead hands! :D

Btw. I think you will like my Officer and Suverän better:

Officer_Suvern02.jpg

This one I might actually part with if you re looking for something military:

Revue-Sport_Royal_02.jpg

Regards.

Jakob

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I thought so[huh]

The Officer is also a nice watch - but being who I am, I am looking for a Omega RAF version. Preferably from 40-45.
I know it's tough - but I haven't given up yet.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PSA

I've found that these leather pocket watch fobs are a perfect alternative to a chain for use with more casual clothing.

41Ego94J3CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Shoes348.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
David Conwill said:
Those watch fobs are swell. Where did you find them?
I found them at one of the shops in the Mallers Building (think Jewelers Row) in Chicago, where I had the watch serviced. They're available on online and on eBay.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Raketa watches are pretty decent quality. Here's mine - I had always wanted a windup watch with a 24 hour analog dial and the Russians are about the only ones who make them at an affordable price.

The 24 hour dial takes some getting used to if you're accustomed to reading the time by the position of the hands on a 12 hour dial. Cool, though, especially with the city names in Cyrillic.

W_raketa.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Michaelshane said:
Those are straps,a fob is what you hang off of the chain or strap opposite the watch.
But, in the real word.........If you actually want to acquire the item that I posted you will have to use the word FOB to search. If you use the term strap, you will be stymied.

[huh]

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Thought I take one of both together. The bigger one is the Sutton from above, the smaller one is a Dodson. Would be nice to get my hands on a Hamilton Bentley too, maybe even a Bowman. The dial of the Dodson is a silver dial, so it looks a bit darker than the normal white one of the Sutton.

suttdod3.jpg

dodson3.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe