Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Here's one I didn't post earlier on account of it just having returned from being serviced. It's a 1919 Waltham Vanguard Railroad watch with 23 Jewel movement adjusted to 5 positions.

vanguard1.jpg

vanguard2.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
Your Ocean Star Commander is sweet! Mine needs a new crown,and the origional band has been lost, atm it has a turquoise and silver watchband on it. It also needs a good restoration (crystal, bezel etc are scarred from age/wear). Dad & I pcked it up at a yard sale about 8-10 years ago for a few dollars (less than 5, but not sure how much less).Mine says multifort; superautomatic, powerwind, and has "Max" engraved on the back..

mido004.jpg

mido003.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Here is my first pocket watch. Just got it today so I figured I'd post up a pic so we could all study it! lol It's a 1939 Westclox Black Chief edition. And that's about all I know of it. Haven't taken the back off yet but as soon as I do I'll post up some pix as well! ;)

Watch.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
This was a garage sale find several years ago (about 20 I think), we gave less than 5 for it. I posted some pics of it in another thread (was trying to find info about Mido's), so may as well post here too. [huh] It's a Mido multifort - superautomatic- powerwind. It's anyones guess as to the authenticity of the jewels in the face.I just (today) put a new expansion band on it, but need to find someone to clean and restore it.

mido004.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
This is my dad's pocketwatch. Given to my grandfather by one of his uncles who worked for the railroad, it is one of the few heirlooms my family has. As far as I know it is a regular Hamilton RR watch, but it's history makes it something special to me.

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Semi-decent pics of the movement.
IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
KeyGrip said:
This is my dad's pocketwatch. Given to my grandfather by one of his uncles who worked for the railroad, it is one of the few heirlooms my family has. As far as I know it is a regular Hamilton RR watch, but it's history makes it something special to me.

IMG_0774.jpg

That's a nice one. And the family history is just as special as the watch itself.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
This is a watch I've been tryng to put together for a while after finding the case in a sort of junk shop with a Waltham movement inside.

The case is an original bowless Dueber Hampden (may be nickel or steel, I have no idea) salesman display case with two really nice, very thick, flat bevelled crystals. The movement is a 17j Hampden "William McKinley" safety pinion model (McKinley and John C. Dueber were close friends, apparently) dated to 1916. It's adjusted to 5 positions, stem set, with a very bold and rather uncommon roman dial that I haven't seen before on any of the other Hampden watches I've looked at.

Project1-14.jpg

Project2-8.jpg

Salesman cases are often 'faked' by using the front crystal from two identical standard open faced cases, but this is a certain original as it has the manufacturer's name on both bezels and nowhere to attach a bow to the stem.

Salieri said:
This is a watch I've been tryng to put together for a while after finding the case in a sort of junk shop with a Waltham movement inside.

The case is an original bowless Dueber Hampden (may be nickel or steel, I have no idea) salesman display case with two really nice, very thick, flat bevelled crystals. The movement is a 17j Hampden "William McKinley" safety pinion model (McKinley and John C. Dueber were close friends, apparently) dated to 1916. It's adjusted to 5 positions, stem set, with a very bold and rather uncommon roman dial that I haven't seen before on any of the other Hampden watches I've looked at.

Project1-14.jpg

Project2-8.jpg

Salesman cases are often 'faked' by using the front crystal from two identical standard open faced cases, but this is a certain original as it has the manufacturer's name on both bezels and nowhere to attach a bow to the stem.

Nice. Gold Jeweled settings and is that a gold train I see in there? :eusa_clap
You found a nice piece there. Interesting how it made it all the way over there. :D

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Mystery watch; help.

Can any of you wristwatch officianados tell me anything about a wristwatch I bought today? It's of 20's or 30's vintage, and of the "stretched" rectangular type. I've not tried to open it up, but did wind it and at least has kept perfect time since around 1:00 this afternoon ( it's now 9:30 PM ). The only name on it is, "Solachron". It's gold, with gold raised numbers on a white face,and a very small sweep second hand at the bottom. The contour of the watch is not drastic, but is curved slightly to fit the wrist. I'll try to find an appropriate vintage style band for it tomorrow and wear if for a while to see how long it keeps good time before having it cleaned and serviced. I cannot find anything on the internet about this name. Thanks in advance for your help.
Frankie Lamb PS I'm embarrassed to say I've not yet conquered the secret of posting photographs or I'd post pictures.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I know nothing about watches, but I can help with the photo issue. Save the photo into Photobucket or some such online service, then copy the "IMG" link into your message. Hope that helps!
Welcome aboard!!

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Thanks from Techno-dummie

Thanks Lulu, I'll try that later tomorrow after I've taken a few pictures of my watch. There are one or two things in this world I'm fairly good at; as you can see, getting pictures transferred to Fedora Lounge ain't one of them.
Frankie Lamb

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bolthead said:
My wife inherited this beautiful Rolex from her Aunt before she passed, some years ago. The battery has stopped since then and we were told by a friend of hers that "Rolex" batteries can be quite expensive, is this true? We don't have any dealers close to us and we'd love to have it appraised. She don't and never has worn it. She actually would like to sell it, but we would like to know what it's worth? [huh] It's in pristine condition, as you can see.....other than no battery.

Rolex009.jpg
Rolex004.jpg

Rolex001.jpg
Rolex006.jpg

Rolex002.jpg
Rolex003.jpg

Rolex007.jpg
Rolex008.jpg

If anybody knows anything about "Rolex", and maybe can date this watch, or maybe have an idea as to what it might be worth....I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch. ;)

Was this watch ever identified for you? I'm pretty sure I know the rough year, and further information for you...plus can probably provide source information.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sweet Leilani said:
Here's one for the ladies- I bought this a few years ago at an estate sale. It's not working at the moment. I'm wondering if it's worth getting fixed- anyone have an idea what it is? There is no maker's name or mark, but the winder is a translucent blue and the hands are blued to match. The case and the band are very delicately filigreed- it's never tarnished, so I'm wondering if it's platinum instead of silver.

100_1577.jpg

Do you still need this identified?

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe