Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Exactly! I'm of the same opinion...I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 for a watch. The idea of spending more on a watch that I ever have on a car (I've never paid more than $2000 for a car) is absurd.

It's funny that in an age of miniaturization and high technology, the most expensive watches are using 60 year old technology and are huge paperweights. Most of them are flashy and gaudy. If I wanted a watch that was the ultimate statement of the modern age, it would be VERY small, unbelivably thin and have no moving parts...I wouldn't want an LCD display, but the idea of a watch that looks as if it has mechanical hands without having any moving parts is a neat idea.

As it is, I want watches made before or during WWII...none of the 'watch fiends' on the other forums I visit can understand this.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad you think like that 'Nut- to me, a giant Chrono/Diver watch is like too much aftershave-
I like the old ones because they're stylish and discrete, I hate flashy, whether it's intentional or not. I'm looking for another Pocketwatch now because almost all of my trousers have a fob pocket- and I don't really like a watch on my wrist- seems like a really dumb place for it- I tend to accidentally bang and scrape a wristwatch on things and scratch it up. Safe and discrete in the pants and not a distraction.
I do like the smaller, vintage Chrono's though, like ShanghaiJack's, earlier in this thread- and Luftwaffe Pilot/Observer watches, even though they are enormous.

B
T

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Size 18 pocket watch

Does it matter whether the watch is 18 size or not? There's a certain delightful heft to the 18 size watch, which makes them more sought after. Also drives up the price

Thats the size I like. :)

SHARPETOYS said:
Does it matter whether the watch is 18 size or not? There's a certain delightful heft to the 18 size watch, which makes them more sought after. Also drives up the price

Thats the size I like. :)

Well there is always that in between watch that was not quite a watch and not quite a wristwatch yet. A case in point is this 1920 Elgin that I have:

1920-Elginwatch.jpg

The crown is not original and I still have to replce it but it keeps perfect time just as it sits. There were about 362,000 made in its entire run from 1917 to 1927. So they should be fairly easy to come by. This is a 3/0 size. It uses the same movement as that of a woman's pocketwatch. They didn't even change the dial for easy reading! Utilitarian to the end. ;)

Regards to all,

J

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
The Wingnut said:
Exactly! I'm of the same opinion...I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 for a watch. The idea of spending more on a watch that I ever have on a car (I've never paid more than $2000 for a car) is absurd.

Well, if you consider the fact that a quality watch will outlast any car, it's not that bad an investment. Watches can easily have a lifespan upwards of three hundred years if properly cared for.

The Wingnut said:
If I wanted a watch that was the ultimate statement of the modern age, it would be VERY small, unbelivably thin and have no moving parts...I wouldn't want an LCD display, but the idea of a watch that looks as if it has mechanical hands without having any moving parts is a neat idea.

Little hard, since the hands would have to be moving parts themselves:)

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
android said:
...or my 1933 Hamilton railroad pocket watch.

medium.jpg

QUOTE]

HOKEY SMOKES, ANDROID! I wear almost the SAME pocket watch, but mine's an Illinois! It's size 16 model 7, 17 jewel! The face and case is identical, with the exception that mine says "Illinois" instead of "Hamilton." Mine dates to around 1920. Ever since I got this watch, it's been my daily carry time peice. I also inherited my great grandfather's Hamilton pocket watch, which I wear on special occasions. I'd show you a pic of my Illinois, but it looks exactly identical!

bink

android

One of the Regulars
Bink,

Yes, there was a lot of consistency in RR watches that met the Ball standards. (Of course, that was the idea. :rolleyes: ) There's a name for the specific dial our watches have, but I don't remember it. The movement in mine is a Hamilton 992.

zeus36

A-List Customer
For my Old West or vintage clothes I carry my Grandfather's 1923 Elgin pocket watch with a hunter case and a small gentleman's knife on the fob.
Not worth much in monetary value, but priceless to me.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have my trusty Waltham pocket watch, which is even more apropos since I work in Waltham;
I have three TAG Heuer watches: A Searacer, A Professional, and a Formula One;
I have a Seiko Kinetic;
And I have my Hamilton Ventura in black and silver. Sadly, it is a repro and not an original, but still a great looking Art Deco style watch.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
android said:
Bink,

Yes, there was a lot of consistency in RR watches that met the Ball standards. (Of course, that was the idea. :rolleyes: ) There's a name for the specific dial our watches have, but I don't remember it. The movement in mine is a Hamilton 992.

Double sunk, porcelan dial. ;) And shoot, I don't remember the movement number of mine... I'll get back to you on that when I figure it out...

bink

Michaelson

One Too Many
It's a double roller, 17j, model 7, 16s, stem wind and lever set Illinois, definitely made in 1920, bink....but then I'm only guessing there.... :rolleyes: ;) Regards! Michaelson

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
My every day watch is an Omega Seamaster “James Bond�.
My once in a while watch is a Gruen Curvex.
I’m not a watch collector…mostly I need a watch to tell when it is time to wake up and go home from work…
Regards,
Forrestal

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
It's a double roller, 17j, model 7, 16s, stem wind and lever set Illinois, definitely made in 1920, bink....but then I'm only guessing there.... :rolleyes: ;) Regards! Michaelson

If you post the serial number from the movement, I can look it up for you.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Me, I love watches...I have 2 pocket watches (gold and silver), a Tag, Citzen, Fossil, Timex(for camping), and others. I am looking into buying a Hamalton Serviceman watch.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I just have a plain old Citizen WR 100 Chronograph. It has a bright yellow face.

The coolest watch I have ever seen was made for blind people. It looked like a domino and had little bumps that moved up and down to signify the time.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe