Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
I didn't know Sheldon Brown had died - here's to his memory. I remember finding his website ten years ago, - it was like an epiphany. I really hope someone will keep his site working, as it's a fantastic reference.

RIP

In the spirit of SB, here's a classic and nicely patinated Brit roadster, spotted on the street; a 50s Rudge-Whitworth.

DSC04923.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Lucky Strike said:
I didn't know Sheldon Brown had died - here's to his memory. I remember finding his website ten years ago, - it was like an epiphany. I really hope someone will keep his site working, as it's a fantastic reference.

RIP

In the spirit of SB, here's a classic and nicely patinated Brit roadster, spotted on the street; a 50s Rudge-Whitworth.

DSC04923.jpg
Sheldon's site is being kept up for the foreseeable future. I understand that his family and his colleaugues at Harris Cyclery are keeping the site going. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home.html
As to the bike, a Rudge is high on my list of must-have British 26" sportsters. At present I have a Hercules and a Humber, plus a 28" Raleigh Roadster.

shortbow

Practically Family
Dang! What a cool thread. I have a repro cruiser I sorta built up myself a few years ago, but with a seven speed internal rear hub. Unfortunately I can't ride even that one anymore because of blown knees. Hence, I am just wowed by those jobs Kilroy and others did with the engines. Would LOVE to have one of those. Even cooler than a Harley 45.:eusa_clap

KilroyCD

One Too Many
shortbow said:
Dang! What a cool thread. I have a repro cruiser I sorta built up myself a few years ago, but with a seven speed internal rear hub. Unfortunately I can't ride even that one anymore because of blown knees. Hence, I am just wowed by those jobs Kilroy and others did with the engines. Would LOVE to have one of those. Even cooler than a Harley 45.:eusa_clap

There is a way you can get back on that bike, despite your knees. There are gas motors like the ones you've seen on some of my bikes in this thread, and there are also electric hub mounted motors that are rather unobtrusive. They allow you to have substantial motor assist. There is a lot out there, and a site that offers a lot of information about these motors is MBc ( www.motoredbikes.com ). I'm a member (as well as moderator) on that site, and there is quite a bit of useful information there.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Space Age Sears?

Maybe you guys can help me. When I was in college, I was driving along a back road and found an old 1960s tank model bicycle sitting out like garbage. I knocked on the front door of the house and the old couple inside said I could have it and that they'd hauled several 1950s bikes and that one out to the curb. The fifties ones got snatched up, but I took the '60s one. It's a Sears and it's in a dark metallic red. The styling is very similar to the Spaceliner, but it's got significant differences (such as not saying "Spaceliner" anywhere). Can you tell me what I've got? I'll try to get a picture sometime soon.

-Dave

KilroyCD

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Maybe you guys can help me. When I was in college, I was driving along a back road and found an old 1960s tank model bicycle sitting out like garbage. I knocked on the front door of the house and the old couple inside said I could have it and that they'd hauled several 1950s bikes and that one out to the curb. The fifties ones got snatched up, but I took the '60s one. It's a Sears and it's in a dark metallic red. The styling is very similar to the Spaceliner, but it's got significant differences (such as not saying "Spaceliner" anywhere). Can you tell me what I've got? I'll try to get a picture sometime soon.

-Dave
You might have a "Flightliner". A photo will certainly help me identify it.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD said:
Very nice! They really help add to the retro style of the bike. The tires almost look like ballooners because of the wide whitewalls.

Very nice bike indeed. That is authentic and extremely well maintained!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I had a red one just like it (till a certain mailbox jumped out into the road and killed it!!). :rage: :mad: :whistling :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD

KilroyCD said:
This past weekend I went to a vintage bicycle swap meet at Trexlertown, PA to look for some parts. I didn't expect to come home with another bike, but alas...
I couldn't resist the price when it was offered to me at $20. It's a 1936 Elgin, still in original paint. I'll have to replace the child's seat with an adult sized one, and the modern grips will have to go, but it's mostly complete.

100_0363.jpg

First, that picture almost made me fall off the chair at the computer!! :confused: :confused: :confused: That is fabulous!! (Do make sure to keep a picture after the restoration.) But most important, I really want to thank you for starting this thread. My old bikes are 2000 miles away and I miss them. I do have 3 spectacular modern road bikes in the garage including two hand-mades (a Waterford and a Seven). On the Waterford it is standard old-time Schwinn Paramount geometry except for the spread on the rear drop-outs- pretty close on the Seven but it is TI and rides like no bicycle I've ever ridden!!! :). This thread reminds me why I like the FL!! Great people with diverse and sincere interests!! Thank you all!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
My bike is a 1959 Schwinn Deluxe Tornado, with the original Ivory Red paint, which has faded to a nice dark orangish-red. I purchased it from a friend of my boss. I did alot to it, such as cleaning the rust off the sprocket and crankes which were caked with rust(bleh), and all of the nuts and bolts.I replaced the original pedals with some old bow-style pedals i got for 10 bucks at a nearby shop. I replaced the chain after it broke in my face also...:mad: Dont forget the over-sized ding-dong bell!
Shes my pride and joy. Her name is Christine.....
Side2.jpg

GUard2.jpg

PInStriping.jpg

Rack.jpg

Side.jpg

PICT0171.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
mtechthang said:
...(Do make sure to keep a picture after the restoration.) But most important, I really want to thank you for starting this thread...
I will be sure to post a photo. I'm not restoring the bike, but I am cleaning it up. Since it's in the original paint I'd like to keep it that way, and maybe only touch up some of the worst areas. After all, anything is only original once.
I still have a little ways to go with this bike. Since so many of the spokes are out of adjustment (rather loose), I'll be taking the wheels in to a local bike shop to have them trued. Truing spokes is something I'm hopeless at. I have the proper replacement seat and grips in hand now, and I sourced a replacement Elgin headbadge as the original was gone. The string-type skirt guard will be re-laced when it's done, so the bike will have a very distinct look when it's all finished.
Regarding the thread, I'm glad that you are enjoying it. Vintage bikes, especially balloon tire bikes, are a major hobby of mine and I'm always glad to share what knowledge I can with fellow Loungers.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
CaddyKid21 said:
My bike is a 1959 Schwinn Deluxe Tornado, with the original Ivory Red paint, which has faded to a nice dark orangish-red. I purchased it from a friend of my boss. I did alot to it, such as cleaning the rust off the sprocket and crankes which were caked with rust(bleh), and all of the nuts and bolts.I replaced the original pedals with some old bow-style pedals i got for 10 bucks at a nearby shop. I replaced the chain after it broke in my face also...:mad: Dont forget the over-sized ding-dong bell!
Shes my pride and joy. Her name is Christine.....
Side2.jpg

GUard2.jpg

PInStriping.jpg

Rack.jpg

Side.jpg

PICT0171.jpg
Very nice classic Schwinn! I see that it isn't the traditional cantilever frame, but a version Schwinn now calls the "Camelback" on their new bikes featuring that style frame.
You mentioned how the paint has faded to the orangy-red color. If you're interested in trying to bring the color back, I would suggest a very fine polishing cream, such as Mequiars' "Fine Cut" or their "ScratchX". Both appear to be very similar items, but "Fine Cut" is marketed as their "Professional" series and the other is in their regular series. The ScratchX is what I use to help bring the paint back, and it works quite well on mildly faded or oxidized paint.
I see that the chain ring and crank cleaned up very nicely. The bow pedals are a nice period touch. Those were made by Union, and sadly are now out of production. They are starting to become less common, and you got those at an excellent price. NOS sets are only going to go up in price anymore. I have a set of those on my Whizzer motorbike right now.
Again, that's a very nice vintage Schwinn!

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Thanks Kilroy,
I like the paint the way it is, since Im into the Rockabilly/Greaser scene, and it matches my personality, but one day i will probably polish her up. But thank you for the advice. Yes, the frame is a straight bar, and i cant find a tank for it, its very rare according to Memory Lane Classics. Ill find one someday.

Thanks,
MS

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Stop me before I buy again!

Despite having virtually no room for it, I came home from an auction this evening with this Shelby Flyer. I have to research it to find the date, but I think it's from the 1948-53 era.
100_1205.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The Whizzer is up and running...

I've been riding the Whizzer for around a month now. It's up and running, and tagged for the street. I even rode it to work and back the other day (a 32 mile round trip). Here's a photo of me on it at WWII Weekend at Reading in June.
100_0740.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
airgrabber666 said:
Thanks, Kilroy. It's my little springtime project. Figure a little bicycling would help me get in better shape, too. I had a stripped black Fleet back when I was a kid that was stolen off the rear patio. I love the lines and style of the old bikes! Here is the Fleet page from the 1963 dealer catalog:

63dlct17b.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have one of these out in my barn-it's a red Schwinn from the '60s. I snatched it up from a neighbors trash on garbage pickup day a few years back. I put new tires on it, and ride it around now and then.
Last year, I was riding my '44 MB jeep down the road, when I passed another bike out by the street for garbage day-it was a British Dunelt.(I admit it-I'm a trash picker). I spent the winter buffing out the chalky black paint with rubbing compound, and cleaning off the rusty rims with a wire brush and chrome polish. It came out quite well, and it is going to be on the front of my Dodge WC51 as an "airfield bike" for my groundcrew impression this summer. I'll break out the camera soon when I bring this bike up out of the basement.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Well, here's my Fleet-I never noticed the name on the chainguard before, as it is so faded. Mine is not nearly so nice as Airgrabber's, so I must get busy with chrome polish and rubbing compound. It will probably be a project for next winter,when I will haul it down to the basement and start work. Looks like I need to start looking for that front fender light,too.

fleet.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe