Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire These Movie/TV Plots!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Napthali actually hit the target best back on page 1. It's not so much all the repetitive plotlines but the quality of the writing.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not so much a plot, but a shtick:

Whenever a character holds up a baby with no diaper, and the baby pees on said character. :eusa_doh:

Its sooooo old.

LD

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Not so much a plot, but a shtick:

Whenever a character holds up a baby with no diaper, and the baby pees on said character. :eusa_doh:

Its sooooo old.

LD

While we're at it, let's also retire the "precocious kid" who always "knows" better than the adults and has all the "best" lines.

BegintheBeguine

Perhaps only true with boy babies

I learned to quickly cover the area in question with a cloth while diaper-changing so the reflex action wouldn't be engaged. So, yes, it happened once. As for spit-up, well, spit-up happens. :)
Plot line I tire of: "NO, I don't need police protection!" Next day, headline tells of her murder. So stupid.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: My first son almost always peed when I opened the diaper to check at night.
I don't think I mentioned one of absolute least favorite movie cliches. Some hood is going to rat on the big boss and is killed. I don't mean he's found dead. I don't mean he is killed on the way to the hero. I mean he tells the hero, "I'm taking a big risk here. I'm tell you his name. I shouldn't do this. Okay, I'll tell you. I'm gonna tell you him name. The name of the guy behind all this. His name is...his name is..." Then he is shot from another building or down the street. The person gets right when he was going to say the name, not ahead of that and not right after. Man, that's bad.:rage:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
And then there's always that old standby of the Presbyterian chicken rancher that refuses to sell his land to the nefarious adult novelty company that's buying up all the valley. The owner turns out to be a sexy, sophisticated Branch Dividian, but despite their animosity, they find themselves strangely attracted to each other. A court battle wins him a temporary injunction, and, in relief, he's able to go to Bermuda to enter a high-stakes Parchisi tournament so he can pay the bank loan. Little does he know that the owner is one of the top-ranked parchisi players in the world and they end up facing off in the finals. The top prize may be $25,000 and a pizza baked by the Pope himself but it's the side bet that's more interesting. If he loses, she gets the ranch, and if he wins, she becomes his slave for life. Later, when he finds she purposely threw the game, he declares his love, asks her to marry him, and she becomes his slave for life anyway.

Good lord, how I hate that plot!

YOU SIR, HAVE PLAGARIZED MY LIFE STORY!!!

EXPECT TO HEAR FROM MY LAWYERS!!

DV

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Let's also put to bed the Christmas special where a character sees the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

I agree except for one. "Tyler Perry's House of Payne" Seeing Madea as all 3 ghosts made me like that plot-line. lol

Josephine

One Too Many
Nathan Dodge said:
Another tired premise is the "letting the audience know that their beloved main character will not be in this episode" routine.

Doctor Who has one of these per season (though the Doctor is still in it, just very very limited). Season 2 was Love and Monsters which was pretty bad, but Season Three was Blink which was GREAT.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Nathan: I read somewhere that ratings went up for Sanford And Son when Grady was substituting for Redd...[huh]

Lizzie: Aww come on! I just watched the Lethal Weapon series :p That's the 80's for ya'! look at all the farfetched action flicks that came out then...lol

Dahlia: Yes! That episode of HoP revived that plot...

Dr Doran

1) No more girls putting alcohol on a guy's wounds. No more guys wincing when the hot girl puts alcohol on their wounds. Alcohol on a wound feels GOOD (I always order my margarita with extra salt on the rim when I have a sore on my mouth) and if a hot girl put alcohol on my wounds, I'd be really quite into it. Unless she was cluck-clucking "poor thing" which would not be attractive at all.

2) Why can't male leads be highly cultured intellectuals -- or why is it that if they are smart, they have to be complete freaks? Why is America so afraid of high culture? If you love opera and medieval literature, of course you have to eat people (Hannibal Lecter). If you can figure everything out in a crime, of course you have to be a fruitcake, asexual hypochondriac (that detective -- I cannot recall his name -- on TV). Why must high education always, on American TV and films, also associate with evil or freakishness? IT'S A PLOT TO DISCOURAGE EDUCATION. Why can't a character be both two-fisted and also a lover of Culture? Any mention of philosophy, any knowledge of literature puts them in "egghead" status and they have to be ugly, skinny, fat, dorky, disabled, insecure, unsexy, or gross.

Dr Doran

Fraiser may be calm now, but he was a freak in Cheers, which is where he originated. In his own show, they still needed an intellectual freak so they invented a brother.

As for Masterpiece Theater, that's British. I was critiquing American anti-intellectualism.

As for Sherlock Holmes, this is a venerable old character; they can get away with making him likeable (although he is still a freak with his opium). I am annoyed that newly created characters in recent TV and film (let's say the past 30 years?) cannot be both two-fisted AND intellectual. We have Indiana Jones and that's it.

freebird

Practically Family
remakes. I hear they are pulling KIT the talking car oout of mothballs, I couldn't stand that show the first time around. shakeshead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe