Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Les Paul dead at 94.....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Another one I kept telling myself I'd go to see while he was still around, but never made it. He had cancelled his regular Monday night gig at Iridium a couple of months ago. When I asked after him, I got the feeling he was not going to make it back. Yes, quite a bummer. But like Frankie Manning, he was doing what he loved almost till the last minute of a very long life. God bless him.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I was lucky enough to be able to get tickets for his 93rd birthday bash at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee last year. Took my mom to see him. She had always been a big fan but never had a chance to see him live. I'm so glad that we went!

B

Lorena B

Practically Family
Wow, i am glad someone made this thread as i was about to.

Is sad news that he passed away, he was a fabulous.
I admire him, such a talent.
RIP LES.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I worked for a couple of years at Fat Tuesday's in the 1980s, where Les's weekly gig then took place. He was quite a character -- irascible, bawdy, often a bit grumpy, but underneath it all, a decent enough sort.

If you'd asked the FT staff back then if Les would still be playing more than twenty years later, I think, to a person, we'd have said, "No way." But play he did, and well.

RIP.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
make EVERY note COUNT

Don Wilson of the VENTURES always wanted to meet Les Paul. Les could be very outgoing if he liked you other wise watch out. Several years ago Wilson finally met Les. He walked up to him stated his name & the group. It was as if the waves had parted, Les put him hand on Wilson's shoulder shook his hand & said Walk Don't Run. Wilson was completely blown away. Solid Citizen :D

PS Check out the CD Chester & Lester (With Chet Atkins)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
I worked for a couple of years at Fat Tuesday's in the 1980s, where Les's weekly gig then took place. He was quite a character -- irascible, bawdy, often a bit grumpy, but underneath it all, a decent enough sort.

If you'd asked the FT staff back then if Les would still be playing more than twenty years later, I think, to a person, we'd have said, "No way." But play he did, and well.

RIP.

That was a great room. Once I was seated at a front table, pretty much at his feet. He looked down at my meal & commented: That stuff is gonna KILL you!

He was quite a spirited man.

rkwilker

One Too Many
As I'm sure you all know, aside from all his innovations to the solid body electric guitar, Les pioneered multi tracking and delay effects. He was a real innovator and an incredible musician. I will miss him. I remember standing in front of the Iridium two years ago on a Monday afternoon with a friend debating whether to come back and see him perform later in the evening. We decided to pass as we thought we would have other chances to catch his show. I will always regret that decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe