Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Pea Coats?

29 toter

New in Town
I am new here and can see the forum members know much about quality clothing. As I'm also new to vintage/ quality coats, perhaps I can also beg some help from the forum.

I am very interested in the pea coat and would like to buy one in horsehide. Can anyone tell me what places might sell or custom make a coat like this?

In the searches I've done on the net I've found Lost worlds.

If the search is opened up to leather then there is Schott.

If the search were opened up to German Naval coats then there is Replicaters and Traders of the Lost Surplus.

I am willing to pay for quality. It's just that I'd like to see what all the options are. Does anyone know of other place to find a or make a pea coat in horse hide?

Thank you for your time.

Cheech

A-List Customer
Howdy folks,

I'm going to try to revive this thread with a specific query about the Lost Worlds leather pea coat: Who has it, and how do you like it??? I know that Chameleon bought a black one last year, and PaveHammer was seriously considering buying one this spring. However, no one's posted their pictures or mentioned it since. Did Stu over at Lost Worlds harness the power to fashion a black hole in the lining of these?!

Well, in any case, I'm about a week out from placing an order for the russet brown HH LW pea coat. (I first have to confirm that the July class I'm teaching won't get canceled, thereby nullifying my efforts to earn extra money to cover this expense, which admittedly would be far greater than any I've made for a single article of clothing). However, given the expense, I want to be absolutely certain that this is worth every penny (and as a graduate student, my pennies probably don't go as far as most of yours). Please, please, if you own the jacket, tell me, tell us, how do you like it? How does it fit? Is it warm? Are you satisfied with the color (black or russet brown)? Would you request any alterations (to the lining, for instance)? Could you please post pics???

Here is a link to some pics of the coat that are not on the LW website, which I searched for long and hard... just showing you that I'm really trying here (even if the coat clearly wasn't made for the guy wearing it).

http://image1.shopserve.jp/highlife.bi.shopserve.jp/pic-labo/LWWI640.jpg

If nobody posts anything on the LW pea coat, could you at least talk me out of (or into) buying the Schott 640 (fitted leather pea coat) for brisk weather and the 740 (wool pea coat) for cold weather, and pocketing the remaining $300 or so instead?

Thanks!
Cheech

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For me there are a couple of factors.

Leather isn't all that warm, no matter how heavy. A good woolen peacoat will be warmer (better insulation) and allow better movement - being less stiff or cumbersome.

A leather 3/4 length coat such as you described will also be very heavy. I have owned dozens of leather jackets and find for my tate the heavy jackets are a pain to wear. Essentially they are uncomfortable - at around 7 pounds, no wonder.

I personally would get a jacket that weighs no more that 4.5 pounds and one you can wear layers underneath for warmth.

Cheech

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice, Seb. Seeing as the winter where I am is relatively mild--there's usually a week or two of temperatures in the single digits and teens (Fahrenheit), but average temperatures feature a low around freezing and highs near 50 (again, Fahrenheit)--I'm (perhaps falsely) anticipating that the LW would be warm enough for the average days. For extra cold days, I do have a rather hideous, albeit very warm, down coat. Of course, I'm really attached to the notion of getting the LW pea coat, simply as I expect that it will be the last coat of its nature that I'll ever get/need to get. Then again, when I first started looking for leather pea coats, I loved the Schott 640 and was all but set on it. However, when I found out that it's 2- to 2.5-oz. cowhide as opposed to the 4- to 4.5-oz HH of the LW, my desire for the 640 was out the window.

So, all of that said, I'm not sure if my desire for the LW over the Schott is mere vanity or if there is something practical to it. In any case, your advice is much appreciated and will be well-considered.

Cheech

BTW, do you think that requesting a warmer liner over the stock satin lining would make a big difference?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Lining material will make a big difference. By the way I just got a Johnson Leather car coat made for me in 2.5 oz naked cow leather. It is wonderful. Fairly thick and very robust, but not a lump of amour. It came as a 3oz which weighed 5 pounds. I asked for something just under 4 which is what I have. It is winter here now and windy. With a jumper/sweater underneath, etc it does the job. I was going to go the Schott you mentioned. Not a bad jacket but the sleeves come in extra long (26.5 inches in a 44) as part of the look. Not for me.

Gibson and Barnes do a great New York police style peacoat. They're products are extremely well made too.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Lining material will make a big difference. By the way I just got a Johnson Leather car coat made for me in 2.5 oz naked cow leather. It is wonderful. Fairly thick and very robust, but not a lump of amour. It came as a 3oz which weighed 5 pounds. I asked for something just under 4 which is what I have. It is winter here now and windy. With a jumper/sweater underneath, etc it does the job. I was going to go the Schott you mentioned. Not a bad jacket but the sleeves come in extra long (26.5 inches in a 44) as part of the look. Not for me.

Gibson and Barnes do a great New York police style peacoat. They're products are extremely well made too.

Do you have pics of the car coat?

29 toter

New in Town
I bought a late 30s early 40s german pea coat style. Think Dr. Who jacket but in brown. This is a great jacket but in addition to this purchase I also bought a custom Lost Worlds jacket off of ebay. The LW is 4oz horse hide and in a cafe racer style like the Schott 641. I've never seen better quality anywhere. It's very heavy BUT is very supple. For my part, I don't notice the weight when wearing it. If you buy the LW pea coat, you won't be sorry. The only two changes I'll request when I order My pea coat are: 1 a bi swing back and 2 a football shape gussets in the armpits. This helps with freedom of movement.

Last edited:

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Cheech:

The wearing photos of the LW Peacoat looks awful nice to me. I own a long LW Coat Single Breasted and after the Horsehide breaks in they are really nice. I have to add this, mine is lined in the heavy Bemberg Nylon and is very comfortable You are in NC and I am in TN so the weather is similar. Mine is warm and fits great if it gets colder I just put on a sweater and keep on rolling down the highway. I will throw up a photo which has probably been shown to much on the forum. The jacket was only a week old when this shot was made.

The difference between Schott and LW is like night and day. The LW just reaks of quality. Stuart really does go the extra mile with his coats.
1261-A.jpg

Last edited:

Cheech

A-List Customer
Your jacket does look terrific. Am I mistaken, or did I read that you unloaded it because it wasn't cold enough in Tennessee to merit its wear? In any case, despite Seb's advice, which has gotten me to reconsider the Schott, I am still leaning towards the LW pea coat, with the idea of perhaps requesting something warmer than the satin liner.

Thanks to everyone for all of the useful information!

Last edited:

Cheech

A-List Customer
Yeah, last winter was something.... If the LW pea coat fits me half as well as your car coat suits you, I'll be a happy man.

Cheech

A-List Customer
I'm still leaning toward placing an order with Stuart in a week, but Paddy's tempting me something awful with that killer Barnstormer of his for sale.

Cheech

A-List Customer
I took the plunge yesterday: I phoned up Stuart at Lost Worlds (who was quite pleasant) and ordered the horsehide pea coat in 3.5-oz. russet brown. It will go into production in a couple of weeks.

I admit that I was putting this off because I liked entertaining the notion of purchasing just about any leather jacket form any manufacturer. Of course, it's no letdown anticipating the LW!

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I took the plunge yesterday: I phoned up Stuart at Lost Worlds (who was quite pleasant) and ordered the horsehide pea coat in 3.5-oz. russet brown. It will go into production in a couple of weeks.

I admit that I was putting this off because I liked entertaining the notion of purchasing just about any leather jacket form any manufacturer. Of course, it's no letdown anticipating the LW!

Hi Cheech,
I am sure you will be pleased, judging from the pictures you posted earlier of LW's peacoat and the general quality of LW's output (as shown on the Lounge). I really like how LW uses the WWII pattern for its coat, as opposed to any of the later incarnations. Do post pictures when it arrives.

I, too, was in your predicament: I enjoyed contemplating purchasing coats from many manufacturers, and the LW's peacoat and the Aero Barnstormer were both in the top running. Ultimately, I chose the Barnstormer, in part because it was cheaper and more customizable, and I recently purchased an original WWII peacoat. However, as I said, I don't think you will be disappointed: it's kind of like choosing from two delicious meals - how could you not be satisfied?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe