Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Olympics - Your Top 3

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
1. Aero cafe racer
2. Aero premier range 1930s highwayman
3. Aero zipsleeve highwayman

All in antique brass zippers. Spoilt for choice between russet or cordovan. I like brown with a tinge of redness.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Three of my all time favourites, sadly the Ventura is no longer with me.

Aero Premier 1930's Halfbelt
image.jpeg

Aero Highwayman
image.jpeg

GW Ventura
image.jpeg

Cooperson

One Too Many
How come there's no more Ventura in your life?

The photo doesn't show it but it was an early version of the Ventura and just too trim in the waist area for comfort. I'd have another, in a heartbeat, but the cost and wait time are just too prohibitive. I might have something in the pipeline, to take its its place, but it's early days yet for details.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In jackets my taste is strictly conservative - I really dislike belts, two-tone coloring, or too many pockets, seams and flaps, studs, padding/quilting, furry collars, ornate stitching, etc. If it isn't minimalist, I won't go near it.

No 1
Schott 641XX best classic cafe racer pattern I've seen (and owned) Not ideal, unfortunately, for the tubby or the very long-limbed.
Schott 641XX.jpg

No 2 Aero Plainsman - love a half-belt but prefer them longer and less ornate (no sunburst back for instance)

159534bc7e624ae2_Plainsman battered -500.jpg

No 3 -

Probably a custom Johnson Leathers long Hercules style halfbelt, but with a straight chest zip and minus pocket flaps.

Attachments

• Schott 641XX.jpg
    Schott 641XX.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,273
Last edited:

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
I don't have three. I like A-2's the best but the only other one I'd really like is a CWU in leather, with snaps on the pocket flaps instead of velcro, and with no velcro name patch, and maybe some interior pockets. Otherwise same design as the nylon and nomex versions.

Pop's in Turkey does one like it but unless you're able to walk in their shop at Incirlik, it seems like a crapshoot on getting the size correct. The Gibson & Barnes one does away with the nifty pen pocket on the sleeve...and retains the velcro on the pocket flaps. Velcro as everyone knows is one of the most irritating products ever developed.

Technically I'd also like an Indiana Jones jacket, but Indiana Jones looks good in that, and I would probably would look like an idiot trying to look like Indiana Jones.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Forgot the one I'd really like... and it could have been mine for free. Years ago someone who was a pilot on Air Force One during the Eisenhower administration told my mother he no longer fit his old leather jacket. He knew I was learning how to fly at the time and told her I could have it. It was an A-2, with an AF1 patch on it. My mother told him it should be passed down to his kids, who had no appreciation of either leather, or flying machines.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I know that most everyone has seen them before. However, I've been done buying for several years now after finding my preferred jacket styles and nailing the fit I like. It's pretty satisfying for me to just wear them and be done with that journey.
HD

Is that what we are all trying to do though? Find those few perfect jackets, just right in style and fit that we just keep and enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld