Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets With Ties

Marv

A-List Customer
My daily wearer for the office is my GW RW27752 A2 which I wear with a shirt, trousers and shoes, looks great.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Luftwaffles, I agree with Fastuni.
That jacket looks 80's to me, blouson, is what I'm thinking.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Actually, I always loved the look. Kind of classes up the jacket and adds a bit of panache to the standard shirt and tie...

vyty5uve.jpg

6yda9aty.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
leather jacket / white shirt / tie an excellent vintage look for fliers, motorcyclists, drivers of open sports cars and roadsters and similar outdoorsmen and sportsmen. The shirt and tie set you apart from the garage mechanics.

Should be worn with dungarees or sturdy wool trousers NOT jeans, and leather shoes NOT athletic shoes.

Have seen pictures of skiers from the thirties and forties wearing this outfit. With a toque or toboggan hat.

D

Deleted member 16736

leather jacket / white shirt / tie an excellent vintage look for fliers, motorcyclists, drivers of open sports cars and roadsters and similar outdoorsmen and sportsmen. The shirt and tie set you apart from the garage mechanics.

Should be worn with dungarees or sturdy wool trousers NOT jeans, and leather shoes NOT athletic shoes.

Have seen pictures of skiers from the thirties and forties wearing this outfit. With a toque or toboggan hat.

What's the difference between dungarees and jeans?

Big J

Call Me a Cab

Why white shirt?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking at that photo of Tyrone Power, I couldn't help thinking of Treetopflier"s comment about the Navy doing away with ties. The military these days seems to be seriously underestimating the importance of smart uniforms, espeicially in terms of recruitment.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
By dungarees I mean sturdy brown, blue or green cotton twill. Not denim.

Combine the dungarees with matching work shirt and you look like you work in a gas station. With a white shirt and tie you are a sportsman.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
By dungarees I mean sturdy brown, blue or green cotton twill. Not denim.

Combine the dungarees with matching work shirt and you look like you work in a gas station. With a white shirt and tie you are a sportsman.

Ah, I understand. I always wear white or blue oxford shirts with those kind of pants.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
With a white shirt and tie you are a sportsman.

And with a blue, green, cream, striped or checked shirt I am not a sportsman?
Why the emphasis on a white shirt? It can be a dress/sport shirt of any color.

Feraud

Bartender
I don't think that it's a question of a tie implying "dressy" so much as a tie was just regular clothing, like a belt or socks, that you would probably wear whenever you dressed for the street. The other day I saw a photo of young newsboys around 1910? and, while in no way shape or form were they dressed formally, every single one had some kind of a tie around his neck.

P.S. To my way of thinking an A1 or A2 looks super with a medium blue shirt and a black tie. I call it the "Waldo Pepper" look.

That is a very good distinction. Back in the day a tie, shoes, or a shirt tucked into trousers that weren't hanging off one's hips were not considered dressing up.
To wear a leather jacket on your own time over your everyday clothes was not an issue.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
With a neck like mine.... ties are, let us say, the last thing on my mind? I'll wear em to weddings, funerals, on the witness stand, but for pleasure? Errrrrr.... no.

Worf

Gromulus

Practically Family
With a neck like mine.... ties are, let us say, the last thing on my mind? I'll wear em to weddings, funerals, on the witness stand, but for pleasure? Errrrrr.... no.

Worf

Check out places that sell longer than normal ties. While only 5'7", a lif'e of weight lifting/bodybuilding and the resultant 18" neck and "high chest" necessitates me having to buy long ties as well so they don't end up mid-chest! (of course shirts are a whole other issue!)

http://www.ties.com/extra-long-ties

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe