Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Recommendation

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
How come that I have The Perfect Jacket, then?

Rudie, show detailed pictures of your Perfect Jacket, and by the time that we have finished critiquing and pointing out the flaws, you will probably burn the jacket!

too much coffee

Practically Family
You have to understand. Some guys on here (ahem like folks named after cities in Montana) love the quest more'n the capture. To them almost all jackets are beautiful and they lust after them until they acquire them. Some, once the jacket is acquired, never let them go.. Others, keep their "new love" for an in-determinant length of time then let her go so that a new "new love" can be acquired and that fresh burst of young love can be experienced all over again. There is nothing as exciting as getting a new jacket and slipping it on for the first time. Some you know will never, ever leave, some you can't wait to get rid of... It's rarely the relationship of the coat to current styles... but the relationship of the coat to the man...

Worf

(Man did I just write that? Whew... what have I been smokin'?)

Very deep, very heavy Worf.........I like it: "...the relationship of the coat to the man..."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Please share it. Holy ****! lol

Don't smoke nan Ganga, don't even drink... I do love good cigars though... My present fave being "Obsidian". I sit on the front porch, in a leather jacket when I can, smoke, watch the coeds walk by and contemplate on the past, the present and the future. In the current jargon of "mindfullness" thats my where I git my chit together... Simple pleasures... simple pleasures.

Worf

Naser

New in Town
True. You can get lined (sheerling) or get it larger to accommodate layering. But leather in an of itself is not warm. Unless its summer lol

Wait, are you guys telling me that a wool lined leather jacket won't keep me warm at a temperature of say 20 F? What if I had a jumper under it?

In all seriousness I thought that'd it replace my northface..

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wait, are you guys telling me that a wool lined leather jacket won't keep me warm at a temperature of say 20 F? What if I had a jumper under it?

In all seriousness I thought that'd it replace my northface..

What Butte is saying is that it is the lining that keeps one warm and not the leather itself. A wool, or especially fleece, lined jacket should be very effective in helping to keep out the cold.

Wait, are you guys telling me that a wool lined leather jacket won't keep me warm at a temperature of say 20 F? What if I had a jumper under it? In all seriousness I thought that'd it replace my northface..
Yes, it would. But leather jackets are not as warm as others, all things being equal. If you line it with wool or sheerling. It has fewer wearable days in the year, unless you live somewhere really cold. Heavy leather is not an insulator.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab

Naser

New in Town
Rudie, that's a beautiful jacket! I love it! But I'm afraid I'm too short to pull off the long jacket look.. It is nonetheless a perfect jacket indeed

Naser

New in Town
Yes, it would. But leather jackets are not as warm as others, all things being equal. If you line it with wool or sheerling. It has fewer wearable days in the year, unless you live somewhere really cold. Heavy leather is not an insulator.

Where I'm from, you don't need a jacket. But I usually do winter travels to China and Europe, it rains a lot, and since I'm usually on the go down jackets are stackable but equally easily punctured. It got me thinking of what I need, also it'd be an awesome look when biking with a decent wind resistance.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Where I'm from, you don't need a jacket. But I usually do winter travels to China and Europe, it rains a lot, and since I'm usually on the go down jackets are stackable but equally easily punctured. It got me thinking of what I need, also it'd be an awesome look when biking with a decent wind resistance.

What size jacket do you normally wear? The most popular jacket that Aero makes is the Highwayman which would, I suspect, meet the needs that you just described. Depending on the climate(s), you can have it lined with cotton drill (warmer climates) or alpaca wool (colder climates) or even fleece (much colder climates). Again, you might find a bargain on the Aero website below but strongly recommend that you contact Amanda and give her as much information as possible, including your specific needs and your exact measurements.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=salerv

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Allow me to suggest a few other types of jackets: cafe racer, 1930s half belt, cossack - for aero. You could also look at a a Californian Ventura from Goodwear. I know US Authentic isn't too well known around here, but if you contact Shaul, they may very well be willing to make you a custom G8 in HH with a wool liner - if that sort of jacket interests you.
Give yourself time, check some websites, send some questions via email, and see what turns up in the next few months.

Edward

Bartender

I live in London and have spent time in Beijing in December. For most of December and January here in London, I wear either an Irvin or a B3 type. These have both also served me well in Beijing in December (and would, I am sure, in the similarly bitterly cold Winters in Berlin, Paris, and the rest of northern Europe). Another alternative which I one day hope to own is an Aero Highwayman in FQHH with a shearling (sheepskin) lining. I suspect a shearling lined Aro Barnstormer would be too warm for much of the Winter, even, here in London (unless you were only into wearing a T shirt under it). Something like a regular Barnstormer with an alpaca lining would be nice, though. I would avoid a very close-fitting style like the Aero 30s halfbelt if you want one for Winter wear. It wouldn't work so well, IMO, partly because the basis of the design is its neat cut (the look could be distorted if you leave space for a heavy Winter lining), and partly because with such a short jacket you run the risk of ending up with one that does not offer enough coverage o have enough layering space for most of the Winter cold, yet is far too warm later in the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82