Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Recommendation

Naser

New in Town
Hi, long time lurker first post, I've always been amazed about te amount of information I can get from you guys! Which raises the big question:

I am in search for the 'perfect' horsehide wool lined leather jacket.

I have been searching for a jacket that would fit well and with a timeless design. Something that'd keep me warm and never go out of style.. I can't seem to make up my mind. I want something that I would buy once and for all. I am of a slim posture and short in height, more inclined towards slimmer cuts. I disregarded schotts after reading that the inner was fused with felt. Also thanks to this forum I have discovered Aero. But still a bit skeptical on what I should get considering the many and different designs and makers. I figured I ask you guys for help.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
The question is, what sort of jacket do you want? Do you want leather cuffs or knit cuffs, do you want it waist length or longer, buttons or zipper, etc.? I don't want to sound like I'm in the Aero "amen corner", but they do specialize in HH, and the large selection is customizable. There are a number of other companies that will customize a HH jacket, so take a look around.

But first, you should have a clear idea in your mind of what a "Perfect Jacket" will look like for you, and how you intend to use it. Keep in mind that HH is tough, and the heavy stuff can be as stiff as wood.

Naser

New in Town
The question is, what sort of jacket do you want? Do you want leather cuffs or knit cuffs, do you want it waist length or longer, buttons or zipper, etc.? I don't want to sound like I'm in the Aero "amen corner", but they do specialize in HH, and the large selection is customizable. There are a number of other companies that will customize a HH jacket, so take a look around.

But first, you should have a clear idea in your mind of what a "Perfect Jacket" will look like for you, and how you intend to use it. Keep in mind that HH is tough, and the heavy stuff can be as stiff as wood.

I am more inclined to the buco style. Classic biker. Something a bit short in lengh. Like daytona on Aero. Or j106.

But seriously not sure if that design would go out of stule anytime soon.

How come that I have The Perfect Jacket, then?
The timer is silent, and runs in the background...Tic toc tic toc
I'll amend it a little:
3) after you find the first great jacket, you will enjoy it until you see someone else's < j a c k e t > and will want one too. * Ask the guys here how many jackets are in their closets. I counted 14 yesterday. Seven are leather.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, I don't care if my heirs think it's perfect. It's perfect for me. So tic away, time. :D

Naser

New in Town
Well I meant in terms of craftsmanship and style. You know, the basic classics that'd last forever. Something that would keep me warm, wouldn't rip and would last a lifetime.

Well I meant in terms of craftsmanship and style. You know, the basic classics that'd last forever. Something that would keep me warm, wouldn't rip and would last a lifetime.
Nobody has a crystal ball on style. Look at designs that HAVE been around forever. Some military, some moto-related, some western or work wear. There's no answer to your questions. Many brands and materials will also last longer than you will. AeroLost WorldsGood WearMcCoysVansonJohnson SFEven Sears & Penney's jackets are still around.

Mark

Practically Family
A leather jacket will never keep you warm in Winter, best have two jackets, sheepskin Irvin style jacket for Winter and a leather one for cool/warmer days. Can't go wrong with Aero, the Highwayman has that timeless appeal you're looking for i think.

A leather jacket will never keep you warm in Winter, best have two jackets, sheepskin Irvin style jacket for Winter and a leather one for cool/warmer days. Can't go wrong with Aero, the Highwayman has that timeless appeal you're looking for i think.
True. You can get lined (sheerling) or get it larger to accommodate layering. But leather in an of itself is not warm. Unless its summer lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
You have to understand. Some guys on here (ahem like folks named after cities in Montana) love the quest more'n the capture. To them almost all jackets are beautiful and they lust after them until they acquire them. Some, once the jacket is acquired, never let them go.. Others, keep their "new love" for an in-determinant length of time then let her go so that a new "new love" can be acquired and that fresh burst of young love can be experienced all over again. There is nothing as exciting as getting a new jacket and slipping it on for the first time. Some you know will never, ever leave, some you can't wait to get rid of... It's rarely the relationship of the coat to current styles... but the relationship of the coat to the man...

Worf

(Man did I just write that? Whew... what have I been smokin'?)

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
Poetry!
you have to understand. Some guys on here (ahem like folks named after cities in montana) love the quest more'n the capture. To them almost all jackets are beautiful and they lust after them until they acquire them. Some, once the jacket is acquired, never let them go.. Others, keep their "new love" for an in-determinant length of time then let her go so that a new "new love" can be acquired and that fresh burst of young love can be experienced all over again. There is nothing as exciting as getting a new jacket and slipping it on for the first time. Some you know will never, ever leave, some you can't wait to get rid of... It's rarely the relationship of the coat to current styles... But the relationship of the coat to the man...

worf

You have to understand. Some guys on here (ahem like folks named after cities in Montana) love the quest more'n the capture. To them almost all jackets are beautiful and they lust after them until they acquire them. Some, once the jacket is acquired, never let them go.. Others, keep their "new love" for an in-determinant length of time then let her go so that a new "new love" can be acquired and that fresh burst of young love can be experienced all over again. There is nothing as exciting as getting a new jacket and slipping it on for the first time. Some you know will never, ever leave, some you can't wait to get rid of... It's rarely the relationship of the coat to current styles... but the relationship of the coat to the man...Worf(Man did I just write that? Whew... what have I been smokin'?)
Please share it. Holy ****! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82