Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Cooperson

One Too Many
What is the The Fedora Lounge? "This swanky venue resembles a 1930s-40s club comprised of like-minded people who share an interest and passion in the "Golden Era."

Where on earth in the 'Golden Era' were shirts left hanging below the back of jackets? A gentleman's shirt was tucked in and worn with a belt, braces or belt and braces!

What is wrong with you people :)

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Where on earth in the 'Golden Era' were shirts left hanging below the back of jackets? A gentleman's shirt was tucked in and worn with a belt, braces or belt and braces!

What is wrong with you people :)

I think that is more confined within the Golden Era section, isn't it?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I think that is more confined within the Golden Era section, isn't it?
No. Have a look at the General Attire and Suits section. This entire forum is dedicated to the "Golden Era" (ca. 1920s to 1950s plus/minus a decade) aesthetics and styles.

However you are right insofar that particularly the outerwear section has become overwhelmingly populated with members who are interested in leather jackets first and foremostly... mostly without an interest in the overall style of the period.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No. Have a look at the General Attire and Suits section. This entire forum is dedicated to the "Golden Era" (ca. 1920s to 1950s plus/minus a decade) aesthetics and styles.

However you are right insofar that particularly the outerwear section has become overwhelmingly populated with members who are interested in leather jackets first and foremostly... mostly without an interest in the overall style of the period.

I guess the outerwear is point of intersection between Style Forum and the VLJ, so it's hardly surprising or to be discouraged - this forum can't live on spats and high waisted trousers alone, y'know. [huh]

schitzo

Suspended
Surely t shirts are pure causal-wear and as such should never be tucked in? IMO they shouldn't even be short enough to accommodate tucking in, tho admittedly this POV does not take into account the armpit high trousers that I know some of you are so fond of..Nothing wrong with those I might add, just not my bag thank you.

As for regular shirts I'm undecided. Out here in Beijing having one tailored costs peanuts and so for the hot months I can wear mine untucked at the length I like, which is not too long, but too short for tucking in - t shirt length if you will. In my mind, leather jackets, no matter the cost, are casual wear too and so it follows that casual shirts worn untucked underneath should be ok.
Yet given that I like my leather jackets short (at a length that's more vintage than contemporary) for me this has also become a genuine dilemma. Atm, under a short leather jacket if the shirt is long enough for tucking in I will. But if going untucked then I now only ever wear the shirts I have that are t shirt length, as I fully agree that too much exposed overhang is a look to avoid

As for the Eastman model. What is that?! I'm struggling, but am clear I don't like it. Best I can describe it as would be 'contrived dishevelled indifference' which is obviously an oxymoron. Personally, it leaves me questioning how it could ever be that anybody with that outlook, or - as i realise is more likely the case here - anybody who wishes to be perceived as having that outlook, could ever justify spending that amount of money on a jacket! IMV anybody prepared to do so patently does give a proverbial, very much so, and thus I think it would be self defeating; for me, the two just cannot be married.
I would add, that model may well be a very nice man, and possibly he and I have lots in common.. but for me, in those pictures, he looks like a prize ***t. No offence intended. It would appear I am not part of the demographic this line is aimed at

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Surely t shirts are pure causal-wear and as such should never be tucked in? IMO they shouldn't even be short enough to accommodate tucking in, tho admittedly this POV does not take into account the armpit high trouser that I know some of you are so fond of..Nothing wrong with those I might add, just not my bag thank you.

As for regular shirts I'm undecided. Out here in Beijing having one tailored costs peanuts and so for the hot months I can wear mine untucked at the length I like, which is not too long, but too short for tucking in - t shirt length if you will. In my mind, leather jackets, no matter the cost, are casual wear too and so it follows that casual shirts worn untucked underneath should be ok.
Yet given that I like my leather jackets short (at a length that's more vintage than contemporary) for me this has also also become a genuine dilemma. Atm, under a short leather jacket if the shirt is long enough for tucking in I will. But if going untucked then I now only ever wear the shirts I have that are t shirt length, as I fully agree that too much exposed overhang is a look to avoid

As for the Eastman model. What is that?! I'm struggling, but am clear I don't like it. Best I can describe it as would be 'contrived dishevelled indifference' which is obviously an oxymoron. Personally, it leaves me questioning how it could ever be that anybody with that outlook, or - as i realise is more likely the case here - anybody who wishes to be perceived as having that outlook, could ever justify spending that amount of money on a jacket! IMV anybody prepared to do so patently does give a proverbial, very much so, and thus I think it would be self defeating; for me, the two just cannot be married.
I would add, that model may well be a very nice man, and possibly he and I have lots in common.. but for me, in those pictures, he looks like a prize ***t. No offence intended. It would appear I am not part of the demographic this line is aimed at

Lol

Year or so ago I would've said guilty as charged, but after I learned that there's a reason why most of my 50's jackets are no more than 24" in length - which rendered them practically unwearable with the wardrobe I had - not being too keen to look a dweeb, I was more or less forced to take notice of other period garments, so... Yes, even though leather jackets are still my favorite subject of this forum, I am now just as interested in other outerwear pieces.

Same here! Leather jackets were my introduction here. I love the vintage styles.
Then I started exploring the other areas of the FL.
I've learned a lot, and even bought a couple of fedoras along the way.
The tone of most discussions is great on TFL, unlike many other forums. And I love how people of all different age ranges speak up!
I keep coming back here as opposed to StyleForum or the VLJ board.
;-) (blah, blah, blah)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Monitor & handymike

Yes, this is exactly what I think is the great opportunity of the FL. A specific interest (hats, suits or leather jackets i.e.) can be a great starter for developing an interest for other areas as well. If someone is only interested in one specific subject... fine - but it certainly should be encouraged to veer into other realms.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess the outerwear is point of intersection between Style Forum and the VLJ, so it's hardly surprising or to be discouraged - this forum can't live on spats and high waisted trousers alone, y'know. [huh]
Year or so ago I would've said guilty as charged, but after I learned that there's a reason why most of my 50's jackets are no more than 24" in length - which rendered them practically unwearable with the wardrobe I had - not being too keen to look a dweeb, I was more or less forced to take notice of other period garments, so... Yes, even though leather jackets are still my favorite subject of this forum, I am now just as interested in other outerwear pieces.

Seems to be a relatively natural evolution, while still rooted in the Golden Era that defines TFL. Many of the jackets exalted here have their roots in the Golden Era, even if some of the original designs have been updated a bit (e.g., additional length). Personally, I love the historical connection; I also favor the revisions that, IMHO, make the jackets more wearable.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Photos of the average Joe Six Pack back in the day no formal wear just daily wear.
Jackets were purchased off the rack & no mods, the way it was
Jackets were not custom ordered longer to cover short rise pants (There weren't any) or accommodate untucked shirts
just the way it was for the times,
Im sure every man was comfortable in there clothes for daily wear

Times change & now we have choices
im sure tucked in or out is based on feeling comfortable in your daily wear with the nice jackets that can be custom ordered

I do know it is uncomfortable to tuck in shirttails with modern cut lower rise short zipper pants/jeans

But it is very comfortable to tuck in with higher rise & longer crotch pants/jeans
its not just the "high waist" but the room you have to swing your load in the seat & groin area & also not having to worry about your shirt pulling out (actually shirt tails were cut higher at the side seams to move & stay in these higher pants)
More room in the legs provided more freedom of body movement
remember men worked hard at physical labor dressed like some of the posted pics

I prefer short jacket & higher pants & tucked in shirts, i collect vintage HH jackets & have a few from the custom makers
i tend to were the vintage jackets though over the new customs.

Wear what you like & just be comfortable.....

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4683%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A684%3A%3C25%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6447%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A3637525%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5436%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A3637725%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7963%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A434%3A%3A25%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv992%3C%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A684%3B525%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5839%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A684%3B625%3Aot1lsi
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6395%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E284%3B%3A4%3A4%3A%3A25%3Aot1lsi

No leather here but I bet he is comfortable
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv754%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D375%3A%3B343%3B%3A34%3Bnu0mrj

I collected most of these pics from the outerwear threads
the last one is a old friends relative

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The pics show how thin and supple the leather was compared to the heavy stuff used now by many manufacturers. That's why I like goat so much. It is supple, comfy and still hard wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe