Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket in the washing machine

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Dry cleaning is not a dry process. Your jacket with be placed in a WET chemical bath so I don't see the benefit of letting a stranger soak your $1,000 garment in chemicals when you can achieve the same result from a cold water wash. We're talking cleaning here. And the only thing you may want to clean is the liner pits. The leather just needs an occasional wipe down. Dry cleaners won't guarantee your jacket won't shrink. I've read account after account of folks washing their jackets full immersion in the shower or bathtub to get the liner clean with no ill results. Mild soap and cold water. Tumble it in a dryer in a sack with the heat off if you are in a hurry to break it in.

Dry cleaning for wool and other "dry clean only" garments isn't the same process that they do for "professional leather cleaner only" garments. It just happens that the businesses that do one type of cleaning often do the other, because it's convenient to their customers.

There's no better way to screw up a leather jacket than to give it to someone else to care for in some unspecified way that you don't understand. But a good leather expert will do wonders for a jacket that needs TLC. If you know how to do it yourself, you can save quite a bit of money, plus get to spend quality time with your jackets, which makes them even more yours.

To soften up my very rigid & new Vanson Enfield, I sprayed it with room temp distilled water & put it in the dry with very low heat & a pillow cover with 3 softballs inside.
It is quite noisy & softened up the jacket very nicely.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, I went for it. I took this Goodwear California Racer:

front_view2.jpg

and put it through this wood chipper (after Gaear Grimsrud finished using it):

tumblr_m0jjzsF8QZ1qcuxfvo1_500.gif

This was the end result:

croc_jacket_front.jpg
croc_jacket_back.jpg

Ain't no washing machine gonna achieve these stellar results.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I was in the restroom last night washing my hands before seeing The Four Preps and must have pressed the the soap dispenser too hard, as I found one of my jacket's knits covered. Rinsed it with water on the spot and seems to be fine. So I can partially conclude hand soap will not harm wool....:/

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was in the restroom last night washing my hands before seeing The Four Preps and must have pressed the the soap dispenser too hard, as I found one of my jacket's knits covered. Rinsed it with water on the spot and seems to be fine. So I can partially conclude hand soap will not harm wool....:/

That was your guardian angel's little way of saying,"Nick, The Four Preps?"

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I've never done any of this nutty stuff, but I'd guess that a jacket that's only been worn and hasn't been subjected to any silly 'aging' techniques, will look better in 10 years than one that has

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Just did a hot water treatment last night on my Goodwear California Racer. It was about a half size to large and rode up in the back and shoulders when seated. I just wore the jacket into the shower and cranked up the hot water. After it was good and soaked I towel dried the jacket inside and out, then wore it for the rest of the night till it dried out a bit. Did some stretching with it while it was on and broke it into a seated position. Laid flat and dried over night. This morning it was fully dry and fit like a second skin added a layer of lanolin and voila. All creases are set well and flex at the proper locations and will only break in better with time. Done this process to several jackets with success and molds them really well to my fit.

First pic before (when i just got the jacket) the last tow are this morning... with a bit of fresh snow falling.
IMG_7275.JPG
23c09c21-ae7c-4c1c-ab53-7e41cd4fa379.jpg
b2c84bc6-20bc-4b10-a4e4-7d74ada5a14a.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
only glanced through this thread as the topic has been covered before many times. NEVER/NO NEED to put leather jacket in a washing machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One can do HWT, work leather with hands, etc. even in dryer a bit for shrinkage but there is always a risk with the washing machine. I know many guys have done it with success but don't do it. Best for look is get the jacket really wet and then wear it while wet so it forms to your body shape, develops real creases, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82