Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest eBay win....

Edward

Bartender
Funny how opinions change.... a while back I posted to a thread on here somewhere about my preference for a homberg to remain so, not to be adapted into a fedora. "Buy the hat you want to begin with", I think was thed crux of my opinion. Recently, though I've become increasingly attract to the look of a homberg with the distinctive rolled brim but more of a fedora style bash. Last night I won this on OFAS:

87702111_tp.jpg
87702144_tp.jpg

87702164_tp.jpg
87702199_tp.jpg

My own photos to follow when it gets here from the US....

Colur is described as "charcoal grey / sepia", so we'll see what it looks like when it gets here. Provenance looks good:

87702287_tp.jpg

I can't quite make it out in the photo, but according to the seller the tag bears a date of 14/1/1970. So not true vintage per se, but very much in a vintage style which is good enough for me. As far as I can make out I got a good price - USD30.77. Seems to me that a bargain can be more readily had on a homberg than a fedora on OFAS; I guess the fedora style is just that much more popular at present. I'm really looking forward to this one arriving. :)

Flieger

Practically Family
Interesting, Edward! Looking forward to see it on your head.

I just won four (!) homburgs myself on a local auction. I'll post some pics ASAP.

/F

Edward

Bartender
Maybe I'll buy a 20s style suit and wander round pretending I'm Michael Collins.... or if I put on a lot of weight over Christmas, I'll add a cigar and be Churchill. lol

carter

I'll Lock Up
Edward, I believe you will look quite dashing in a homburg. You seem to carry off any style with aplomb. You will do equally well with this one.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Not only did you get a beautiful hat, but at only $2.77 more than the original price, you did quite well! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks good. I'd love to pick up a BB hat sometime. And with the currently anemic dollar the deal for you is even better!

MattJH

One Too Many
My most favorite hat that I own is a Herbert Johnson made for Brooks Brothers. I've had vintage Borsalino, Barbisio, Knox, Stetson, Dobbs, Crofut & Knapp, Churchill, Adam... none of them compared. Something about it.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mmmm.... Looks like it's in great nick. The homburgs were popular over in this neck of the woods in the teens and twenties... viz:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

I have a lovely Stetson Homburg, and I fashioned it into a fedora type "snap":

IMG00033.jpg

Edward, you are definitelt someone who would carry off a Homburg! ;)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. 'H' said:
Mmmm.... Looks like it's in great nick. The homburgs were popular over in this neck of the woods in the teens and twenties... viz:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

I have a lovely Stetson Homburg, and I fashioned it into a fedora type "snap":

IMG00033.jpg

Edward, you are definitelt someone who would carry off a Homburg! ;)

To me, this is almost like one of the separated at birth posts. If the second shot didn't have the cell phone and was b&w, I'd almost think it's the same person.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Benny! I'm hoping it arrives this side of me heading off for Christmas so I can wear it out for the party season. :)

Edward

Bartender
Mr H.... I'd watch those Cork Hills, if you're going around in an open car looking like the Big Fella.... never know when those damned anti-Treaty irregulars are going to strike next. lol

Edward

Bartender
Update: the hat is here and very nice indeed. Felt is beautifully soft. I've already tried it out with two or three different bashes.... I wore it into the office today and at present it's a centre dent, with the side dents made a little smaller and further forward than in the eBay photos. It's a much snugger fit than my black Homburg (both 57), but I don't think it looks wrong. It sits a figer or two higher on my head than my other hats (save for the top hats I have, including the Christy's in my avatar at present). Same height as Mick's in the photos above, actually, though maybe a tiny bit more obvious on me due to lack of hair. ;) Photos to follow asap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe