Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest ebay purchse - Bill Kelso M422 in goat .... 44"

Edward

Bartender
Half the fun is finding them sometimes, Scott.
All that research/trawling through the old threads.
I've found a fair few this way...

And then releasing them back to the wild, so you can find them again, a la Mr Lomax and Snappy the Crocodile?

He's a character on Psychoville an alternative sitcom from two of the League of Gentlemen boys. Part of it is a very surreal satire on his collecting habit, with a heavy dose of 'paradise syndrome'. A lot of collecting reminds me of it sometimes.... not that I'm in any way immune myself! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoville#Oscar_Lomax.2C_Michael_Fry_.28Tealeaf.29_.26_Peter_Bishop

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I love Psychoville and TLOG...
Release them yes, but buy them back? I haven't sold on a jacket that I desperately wanted back. I tend to sell on when I have something else in mind (or if the jacket doesn't fit/suit me of course).
I'm almost where I want to be: warm and comfy N-1 for cold/casual wear; a smarter woollen CCC 'A-1' for cool weather/work; a GW A-2; a good beater A-1 and an LVC Menlo Cossack for casual summer wear.
All I'm looking for now to feed the demon is an RMJP Zelinski 37J1B or, if the pigs aren't ready for take off, a salt water wash BR 37J1.
What do they say? I can give it up anytime! ;-)

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
Boy, pretty off topic!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of us with limited funds, the buying and selling is one of the few ways to help fund the next purchase however, I have grown tired of this now and don't want to go through the trouble. I have a small collection of jackets that thus far, I have had no inkling to sell. That could change of course but I feel 100% better with fewer jackets now that I ever have been with the collecting. Down to 12!!!!!!!! Still too many but I will just have to live with it!

A crazy hobby for sure!

Well, it also helps to buy things you like a little more maybe ;)I just wonder when people post how great a jacket is and then flip so soon. Just a curiosity for me - I've flipped a few, but not the level you guys are at! You never get time to wear anything at this rate lol

Haven't you learned by now?
Reminds me of the Willie Nelson song "Funny How Time Slips Away"

"And how's your new love?
Well, I hope that he's doin' fine
And I heard you told him
That you'd love him till the end of time

Now that's the same thing that you told me
And it seems like only yesterday
Gee, ain't it funny how time just slips away?"

:D

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Haven't you learned by now?
Reminds me of the Willie Nelson song "Funny How Time Slips Away"

"And how's your new love?
Well, I hope that he's doin' fine
And I heard you told him
That you'd love him till the end of time

Now that's the same thing that you told me
And it seems like only yesterday
Gee, ain't it funny how time just slips away?"

:D

Al Green did the definitive version of this one, imho.

Plumbline

One Too Many
This one by any chance?

The guy I sold it to recently sold in on Ebay.

The very one .. pics are coming, it's been chucking it down yesterday and today in the South East of Englandshire ( and I was gigging last night so didn't get a chance to get some done).

The cuffs are folded back on themselves ( not onto the leather ) sort of like what you did as a kid with your school sweater ... otherwise they sort of look a bit crumpled ... I like them like that ( It'll probably cause no end of loud tutting and shaking of older and greyer heads than mine :) )

It's VERY NON-TOP-GUN ... which is an absolute bonus ( Though I'd have Maverik's GPZ900R in a heartbeat).

Edward

Bartender
I love Psychoville and TLOG...
Release them yes, but buy them back? I haven't sold on a jacket that I desperately wanted back. I tend to sell on when I have something else in mind (or if the jacket doesn't fit/suit me of course).

Yeah, I've yet to regret selling something on myself, though that's as likely because I don't part with enough of them.... ;) When the next leather season starts, I'm going to be selling on a couple of jackets that really aren't the right fit for me, likely to replace them with something very similar in the long run.... I won't miss these particular ones, though, because they're just not right for me. Learning experience!

I'm almost where I want to be: warm and comfy N-1 for cold/casual wear; a smarter woollen CCC 'A-1' for cool weather/work; a GW A-2; a good beater A-1 and an LVC Menlo Cossack for casual summer wear.
All I'm looking for now to feed the demon is an RMJP Zelinski 37J1B or, if the pigs aren't ready for take off, a salt water wash BR 37J1.
What do they say? I can give it up anytime! ;-)

Heh..... Sure you can... I mean, it's not as if you hang out with a bunch of enablers all the time, is it? ;)

I've been eying up an N1 for some time.... I particularly like the blue variant from the mid-war (early-war, I suppose, from the US perspective) period. Unfortunately, the only game in town for these seems to be BK, and I just don't think I can bring myself to pay out six hundred odd quid for one. Oddly, I'm gagging for an Aero Thunder Bay at much more - there's no logic to it, but for some reason I'm much more comfortable spending the Big Bucks on a leather jacket than fabric, though rationally I know the same level of crafting goes into getting both right, and the difference in materials, in terms of overall cost to make, is likely minimal. I suppose I have the perception in my head, rightly or wrongly, that the leather is a more durable option.... [huh]

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I don't part with enough of them....

You see where you going wrong there, Edward? ;-)

I've been eying up an N1 for some time.... I particularly like the blue variant from the mid-war (early-war, I suppose, from the US perspective) period. Unfortunately, the only game in town for these seems to be BK

I think that you mean BR?

My attention was drawn to this one (Pike Brothers) http://pikebrothers.com/product/1944-n1-deck-jacket/

I have a vintage WW2 N-1 in very good, wearable condition - the Bedford cord looks a little heavier on mine, but the Pike Brothers version is marginally more practical with an inside pocket (no present on the wartime N-1).

thor

Call Me a Cab
Just to steer this thread back onto it's original course...

Plumbline if you are just going to fold the knit material of the cuff in half (shortening it but still keeping it visible) that seems ok, if the cuff is too long. It's a much easier remedy then shortening the leather to accommodate the longish cuff.

Look forward to your pics....

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Shortening the leather cuff will cost around £40 including VAT - a leather tailor close to me (in Hampshire) does a cracking job and is quick.

Edward

Bartender
You see where you going wrong there, Edward? ;-)

No.....

;)

I think that you mean BR?

Quite right - typo!

My attention was drawn to this one (Pike Brothers) http://pikebrothers.com/product/1944-n1-deck-jacket/

I have a vintage WW2 N-1 in very good, wearable condition - the Bedford cord looks a little heavier on mine, but the Pike Brothers version is marginally more practical with an inside pocket (no present on the wartime N-1).

The Pike jacket is nice, pity they don't do the blue. I'm surprised Spearhead don't carry one... I think they'd do a nice version (probably not the most accurate copy, but close enough for a jacket to be worn as a civilian item). I think I read..... somewhere.... that the Pike's inside pocket is based on a field mod commonly done to issue jackets? I might have confused that, though, as I'm sure I also recall reading that N1s were communal equipment that belonged to a ship rather than being issued to an individual? Certainly looks good and warm. I can see wearing one of those to Rhythm Riot in November...

I've been eying up an N1 for some time.... I particularly like the blue variant from the mid-war (early-war, I suppose, from the US perspective) period. Unfortunately, the only game in town for these seems to be BK, and I just don't think I can bring myself to pay out six hundred odd quid for one. Oddly, I'm gagging for an Aero Thunder Bay at much more - there's no logic to it, but for some reason I'm much more comfortable spending the Big Bucks on a leather jacket than fabric, though rationally I know the same level of crafting goes into getting both right, and the difference in materials, in terms of overall cost to make, is likely minimal. I suppose I have the perception in my head, rightly or wrongly, that the leather is a more durable option.... [huh]

I've been looking at the BR Seawater wash N1 myself...and yep, the price is certainly a stopper.
I recently bought a used Good Wear "Tanker" jacket...one of two that JC made. I have owned a couple of repro Tanker jackets over the years....this one is far and away the best. Thick, soft wool lining, fit that isn't baggy, tapered sleeves, first rate knits.
I understand they aren't a "financially viable" product for GW, as folks are reluctant to pay for a cloth jacket what they are for a leather one.

(I've had my eye on the Aero "Thunder Bay" too....)

Last edited:
Plumbline, one thing to keep in mind..... I doubt the sleeves will shorten over time as you will see with horse hide/steer. What you have is what you have.
I own a BK M422 that looks like it was made with the same batch of goat hide. It started out very stiff...and has remained so. If this is Andrew's jacket, he noted some time back he gave it the "hot water treatment", which should have shrunk the leather pretty much as much as it is going to shrink.
FWIW, the sleeves (and torso) on my BK are quite long...obscuring the knits at the cuffs.
Supposedly BK has "corrected" the design, and "upgraded" the leather since I got my jacket. (Didn't do me much good. :( ). I Haven't heard any reports from folks who have the "new and improved" jacket who have experience with vintage M422's/G1's to compare with.
I'm 5'9". My son (6'4") has the jacket now. The length fits him better.
Re; shortening the sleeves....with my jacket I decided I did not want to throw good money after bad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe