Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Klutz Question

epic610

One of the Regulars
ok, i have a tape measure out and am trying to measure inside cirumference of a hat.. is there an easy way to do this? have one end fastened to leather liner with a paper clip but it's hard to get a true reading.

signed,

mechanically challenged

Irena

One of the Regulars
Here's a something that might work:

take a piece of paper (or tape a few sheets together) and make a cylinder out of it. Put it inside the hat and open the cylinder until it is against the sides (not too far up the crown). Then mark on the paper where the edge you can see touches. Now you can measure with even a straight ruler!

By the way, I just thought of this, so I've never tried it.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Are you using a tailor's type of tape?

Or are you trying to use a metal carpenter's tape? You gotta use a fabric tape measure. Start at a referance point like a seam or label and gradually work your way around being careful to keep the tape firmly up against the surface of the sweatband.

EricH

One of the Regulars
I do a lot of woodworking and as a result have a lot of different tape measures around. I use a flat bench tape to measure the id. It is made of annealed steel and is flat so it will bend into a nice even oval. I hold it together with several twist ties that let me enlarge or shrink the size of the oval/circle. It works like a tailors tape, but holds its shape. Once you have the measurement you can pop it out to determine what it is. It can also be preset to a certain size and then used as a go/no go jig to check a hat. Don't remove the adhesive tape though! Eric

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32550&cat=1,43513

riccardo

Practically Family
joke

epic610 said:
ok, i have a tape measure out and am trying to measure inside cirumference of a hat.. is there an easy way to do this? have one end fastened to leather liner with a paper clip but it's hard to get a true reading.

signed,

mechanically challenged

You could take the sweat apart, then measure it with a rule, write the dimennsion on a paper. Then put the sweat on, sending the hat to a professional. When it come back you could enjoy your hat and readindg the paper you,now, know the right circunference of your sweat.lol lol
Riccardo.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm...

Irena said:

take a piece of paper (or tape a few sheets together) and make a cylinder out of it. Put it inside the hat and open the cylinder until it is against the sides (not too far up the crown). Then mark on the paper where the edge you can see touches. Now you can measure with even a straight ruler!

Now that sounds like a darn smart idea! I'll have to try that one some time.
NB

EricH

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't joke about this .... would I?

That won't work Riccardo. As soon as you cut out the sweat and measure it you aren't measuring the circumference of the hat you are measuring the length of the sweat band. That, of course, is an entirely different measurement. ;) :p lol

There is also the problem we haven't discussed that you need to know if you are measuring a metric sweat band or imperial sweat band. Now some of those Italians had another measuring system, but darned if I can figure it out.

Eric

Irena said:

Good problem solving skills! You get a Gold Star!
:eusa_clap

MattC

A-List Customer
Paper & String

I've tried the paper trick; it works decently well. I get the best measurements using a string. I hold it where I've tied a knot in it at the back of the sweat where it is stitiched. Then I run my finder around the sweat pressing the string against the sweat as I go. Hold the point where the string comes back to the stich line in the sweat. I you keep the string loose and let it play, you should get a decent measurement. Measure three times.

MattC said:
I've tried the paper trick; it works decently well. I get the best measurements using a string. I hold it where I've tied a knot in it at the back of the sweat where it is stitiched. Then I run my finder around the sweat pressing the string against the sweat as I go. Hold the point where the string comes back to the stich line in the sweat. I you keep the string loose and let it play, you should get a decent measurement. Measure three times.

It works well if you have string or cord that doesn't stretch much. Luckily we have a couple of those fabric tailor measuring tapes. You can find them where ever there's sewing supplies, and they are very in-expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe