Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keyhole buttonholes on lapel

iammatt

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
I don't fear a keyhole because of that, matt, I simply don't think it looks good on the lapel.

That is fine, but the "fear" of a keyhole on the lapel comes historically from the fact that tailors switched to a straight hole once jackets no longer were buttoned up to the top and the availability of two different punch cuts signified a more expensive suit... or something like that.

I like well made buttonholes which are enough of a rarity. The most aesthetically pleasing and difficult to make are the ones I showed as they are straight cut but embroidered with a keyhole as opposed to the German and British keyholes which are cut with a keyhole punch and embroidered. YMMV.

Also, lapel buttonholes too far from the edge look terrible to me.

Dagwood

Practically Family
iammatt said:
Also, lapel buttonholes too far from the edge look terrible to me.

When you had your jacket made, did the tailor ask how far from the edge you wanted your buttonholes? Also, did he ask if you wanted keyhole or straight? I assume that the "default" position is a straight buttonhole a certain set distance from the edge.

iammatt

Familiar Face
Dagwood said:
When you had your jacket made, did the tailor ask how far from the edge you wanted your buttonholes? Also, did he ask if you wanted keyhole or straight? I assume that the "default" position is a straight buttonhole a certain set distance from the edge.

God no! And I am sure he would not have listened to my opinion if I had wanted to give it (which I did not). I did look at the buttonholes on other coats before ever ordering. Like everybody else (I imagine) my own preferences are informed by what I am used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe