Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping things cool

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
It's hot all over, and yes, I do have the a/c running, but I found an additional solution to make things feel cool and comfy and thought I'd share.

I hung up a Currier & Ives calender from 1958 next to my desk, and it's opened to January. A pleasant snow scene combined with thoughts of January are comforting, but I especially like that it's now 1958, always. :)

I know I complained in another thread about the ice cream man's tunes sounding like a polymorphic cell phone tune, but I wouldn't mind a Hoodsie cup right now. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
here's a trick a friend of mine told me to keep cool; run cold water over the inside of your wrists...this cools the body temperature down considerably

green papaya

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
here's a trick a friend of mine told me to keep cool; run cold water over the inside of your wrists...this cools the body temperature down considerably

or take your shoes and socks off and let your feet breath...

If it's really hot , I remove my shoes and rinse my feet off with cold water outside with the hose

also close all the curtains, to help keep the heat out, to prevent the "green house" effect

lots of heat comes in through the window if the curtains are open

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Electric fan with a bowl of ice cubes in front of it -- that's my AC at home. And nothing's better at night than a cold wet washcloth draped over the forehead at bedtime...

And these are for PSG --

ph_FnCup_lg.jpg

(Wooden spoons not included!)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Electric fan with a bowl of ice cubes in front of it -- that's my AC at home. And nothing's better at night than a cold wet washcloth draped over the forehead at bedtime...

And these are for PSG --

ph_FnCup_lg.jpg

(Wooden spoons not included!)

Lizzie! Where can I get those wooden spoons? I need some!

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Electric fan & spray-bottle of water on the face & neck: works wonders when you get home from work for a quick cool down. (My car's AC system was designed for the old Freon, and just doesn't work as good on the new stuff...)

Swing High,
- C H

magneto

Practically Family
Cousin Hepcat said:
Electric fan & spray-bottle of water on the face & neck: works wonders when you get home from work for a quick cool down.

Oh yep! :) I've read that putting a little lavender (i.e. essence or oil) in with the spray bottle of water has a amplified cooling effect. (I don't know how "masculine" lavender is considered nowadays...)

Phil

A-List Customer
How a marching band cools off

Marching practice has started up at my school and one of the best ways that my section cools off is we eat Flavor Ice, ice pops
MiniIcesticks.jpg

and drink a cold bottle of water. It really helps a lot, especially with the heat we've been having in Chicago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21