Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Received My New Jacket from Johnsons Leather! (sort of)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have that same jacket in the 2.5oz goatskin. It's not as exciting as an aero or kelso, imo, but it is my "go-to" jacket. Now that I know a thing or two about sizing, I can say that it is big for a size 40. Probably more like a 42. But it is a wonderful jacket. One cool feature I noticed though:
The jacket is chrome tanned... However, when looking at the edges of the sleeves/pocket edges, there looks like kind of a lighter brown/reddish spray (very subdued, probably a bi product of the tanning process) but it looks cool.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have two or three good stories about my visits there...one I recall is having Alan show me jackets with progressively heavier weights/ounces and finally stopping at (sorry, forgot which weight it was), and finally pulling out a heavy piece of leather and folding it.
"This leather is ...ounces. You can see why it would be impossible to make a functional jacket out of it".
I forgot the exact explanation, but I think it had to do with the stitching coming apart when moved at the arms, etc.

The other cool stories have to do with the band Green Day and Nicholas Cage being frequents in the store. He told me that at one point Green Day bought all of their roadies new Ducatis after a tour.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I thought I'd also add that he has the back piece of the Glenn Miller's AAF Band avirex jacket nailed to his wall.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
That would be cheating. Besides a few days difference wont matter and there is no surprise at Christmas then. If the fit has to be tweaked (we used an off the rack jacket as a guide) its going to take a few weeks at least anyway.

Oh Lord, come on, open the damn package once for good :D I treated myself with a leather jacket this Christmas too. I checked it upon receival and sleeves were way too long. I took it to my local tailor last week and I had them trimmed early this week. Now, I'm ready to have a happy merry Christmas next week :eek:

I have no camera though, and I couldn't start a new thread [huh] Let's see if Santa has something to put in my sock that can take pictures. :eusa_doh:

JLStorm

Practically Family
i haven't decided yet if this is admirable or absolutely intolerable. Am leaning toward the former at the minute. but keep on changing my mind..

Merry Christmas!
Schitz

Its becoming more intolerable by the hour...4 days to go...I can do it.

After all this build-up, I expect pix of the wrapping being torn, your face the instant you see the jacket, you outside in the jacket and your p.j.'s etc.

You owe us.

I'll work on that. My wife already thinks its weird I wrapped it, I'm not sure how much laughter a request for a photo by photo opening ceremony would generate.

Is the M130 his 50's bomber jacket? I've had my eye on that jacket for a long time. I even bought one but had to return it due to a defect in the horsehide. It's a classic style that nobody else does. I like your choice of a shearling collar. I had no idea he had shearling. I would have lined the whole body in shearling. Now that would be a winter jacket! His quilted lining is warm too, and I'm sure you'll love it. Thanks for sharing and please update with pics on Christmas.

Yes its the bomber styel. He can get in just about anything as long as your willing wait for him to find it. He happened to have a bit of shearling in that was exactly the loft and color I wanted, but it seems like he gets in small batches and the onhand selection changes frequently. This will actually be my only quality jacket that isnt fully lined in shearling. I went with the quilting because its not quite as warm as the shearling and will be a good fall jacket as well. My warmest shearling jacket is so hot that even with a tshirt on I'll overheat if I zip it at 30 degrees.

I have that same jacket in the 2.5oz goatskin. It's not as exciting as an aero or kelso, imo, but it is my "go-to" jacket. Now that I know a thing or two about sizing, I can say that it is big for a size 40. Probably more like a 42. But it is a wonderful jacket. One cool feature I noticed though:
The jacket is chrome tanned... However, when looking at the edges of the sleeves/pocket edges, there looks like kind of a lighter brown/reddish spray (very subdued, probably a bi product of the tanning process) but it looks cool.

Yes I thought that too about the sizing. I never fit into a size 44 usually, but the shoulders and arms fit just fine. I also noticed that his jackets have a nice taper too, so it was less material that had to be removed from the pattern. Yes his jackets are much more subdued in style, but they have a functional simplicity that is nice for an every day jacket. However, after talking to him for a while over the last few months, I'm convinced he could make just about anything no matter how complex.

I have two or three good stories about my visits there...one I recall is having Alan show me jackets with progressively heavier weights/ounces and finally stopping at (sorry, forgot which weight it was), and finally pulling out a heavy piece of leather and folding it.
"This leather is ...ounces. You can see why it would be impossible to make a functional jacket out of it".
I forgot the exact explanation, but I think it had to do with the stitching coming apart when moved at the arms, etc.

The other cool stories have to do with the band Green Day and Nicholas Cage being frequents in the store. He told me that at one point Green Day bought all of their roadies new Ducatis after a tour.

I vaguely remember some conversation like that. I initially thought he couldnt go heavier or thicker due to his sewing machine, he did mention something about the stitching and I cannot remember what. I really wish I could have talked to him in person...maybe some other time.

Oh Lord, come on, open the damn package once for good :D I treated myself with a leather jacket this Christmas too. I checked it upon receival and sleeves were way too long. I took it to my local tailor last week and I had them trimmed early this week. Now, I'm ready to have a happy merry Christmas next week :eek:

I have no camera though, and I couldn't start a new thread [huh] Let's see if Santa has something to put in my sock that can take pictures. :eusa_doh:

After 7 months of planning and waiting another month or so of waiting to get some sizing tweaks down isnt going to kill me. Besides the shipping back and forth is cheap and quick compared to the overseas stuff I'm used too. I definitely don't have a local tailor I'd trust for this, but if something is off, I dont think its going to be way off considering he sent me a standard cut jacket of the same pattern to try on for size and made adjustments according to a bunch of photos I sent him back. We shall see....

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I kid you not. I seriously think you should open it Saturday. It's not fair to compare it to other presents, because that's really not what it is. If I was your son or brother and I gave you a nice gift for the holidays, I'd be a little bent out of shape if it was held up in any way next to what you gave to yourself (and been mildly obsessed with for months). I think you should open it A.S.A.P. (as a gift that you deserve because you're a good person) and revel in it all weekend, go outside in it, and even let the thrill wear off a little bit. That way when Christmas actually comes and when you're celebrating with others, you'll be more in the moment and less wrapped up with your own private thing. And if there is some little problem (which there won't be), you won't be bummed out even a little during the festivities.

p.jpg

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
I kid you not. I seriously think you should open it Saturday. It's not fair to compare it to other presents, because that's really not what it is. If I was your son or brother and I gave you a nice gift for the holidays, I'd be a little bent out of shape if it was held up in any way next to what you gave to yourself (and been mildly obsessed with for months). I think you should open it A.S.A.P. (as a gift that you deserve because you're a good person) and revel in it all weekend, go outside in it, and even let the thrill wear off a little bit. That way when Christmas actually comes and when you're celebrating with others, you'll be more in the moment and less wrapped up with your own private thing. And if there is some little problem (which there won't be), you won't be bummed out even a little during the festivities.

p.jpg

That is actually really sound advice and you are probably right on all accounts. On the other hand, if there IS something wrong with it (I also doubt this), I'll be able to start worrying about it starting the day after xmas, since I'll have comedy movies and alcohol to lighten my spirits the night of. If I open it now there will be a slight shadow cast over the holiday. Plus the fact that I'm a sentimental weenie and anything someone else gives me is going to mean more than the jacket (at that very moment at least). The jacket will be opened last and my wife is used to my eccentricities.

The other downside is while we dont smoke, everyone on my wife's side of the family does so I wouldnt bring it with us to xmas (shearling and smoke don't mix) and not being able to wear it Mon and Tues would be more painful that not knowing what it looks like.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
That is actually really sound advice and you are probably right on all accounts.

Of course I'm right: I'm always right! (quoting Victor R. Gook the patriarch of my favorite old time radio show, "Vic and Sade").

My gift to you: check out episodes 211, 218, 221 and 223 on the link below. "You'll have so much enjoyment, you'll never forget it!"

http://vicandsade.com/

Artberpaulbill.jpg

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
if there IS something wrong with it (I also doubt this), I'll be able to start worrying about it starting the day after xmas, since I'll have comedy movies and alcohol to lighten my spirits the night of.

But if anything is off, then you'll have a bitter Christmas [huh] You'll be in a hell of alcohol and bitterness :eusa_doh:

The jacket will be opened last and my wife is used to my eccentricities.

that saint woman! :D

JLStorm

Practically Family
that saint woman! :D

Ha! I've spent several years breaking down her defenses and weakening her. Our main difference is I buy clothes or shoes and they last two decades, she buys something and it lasts two seasons. Buy once, cry once.
The first few years it was "Another jacket??? You can't be serious!"
Then it became "Another jacket??? Why on earth could you possibly need another jacket!?@"
The next stage was "That't it...no more jackets! There is a ban on jacket purchases"
And we have now reached the "Just put the bill on the amex card so I don't have to see it" stage.

But in my defense, I only have 3 high quality custom jackets and the only reason I have a closet full of jackets is because I've kept the ones I bought, been handed down, and found on eBay over the last 20 years, they still fit and I still wear them.

I finally got her to try my 12.5 lbs Aero one a cold windy day when she didn't have a coat. That lasted about 1 minute and she has realized that our tastes in jackets are so drastically different that she has just given up all hope of understanding. As long as I can find a way to cover the bill she rolls her eyes and moves on.

2012-11-03160035_zpsa4128b69-1_zpsee550c8d.jpg

Last edited:

JLStorm

Practically Family
That Aero is bigger than the whole wife. Pretty wife BTW :)

Ya it was a little too big for her lol. Thanks for the compliment.

That Tobacco Bison is a beautiful hide. It is sure to make a great jacket.

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Thanks I thought it was beautiful when he sent me a few samples of different shades. I'm not sure if there are any fence or other markings on the jacket. I asked Alan to find the most beat up part of hide he could, but I told him that deep grain was more important than markings too me, so it should be interesting to see what he went with.

your lucky pretty merry christmas

Thanks, you too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe