Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Judging by the sizes of vintage hats, a 24" head is a fairly new evolutionary trait.

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm a 7 5/8 - 7 3/4, depending, and I've yet to see a vintage hat of this size. In fact, the largest I've ever seen is a 7 1/2. Even scouring eBay, the only hats my size that I can find are new ones.

Anyone else have any luck? It's discouraging seeing all of these great hats in photographs, clicking for the details, and being told yet again that your head is too big.

And it's not even that big! :)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I'll tell you what...

I feel your pain. My head runs about the same size and finding the vintage, let alone bidding to win on them, is a challenge of epic proportions! I just got a vintage Stetson Homburg, size 7 3/4, off of THAT site and the only reason I won it was because I got it with the Buy It Now within an hour of it being posted! A similar scenario worked for my Open Road. BUT, they are there! I have three different searches set up which I run at least three times a day. I have a couple of vintage store owners on the lookout. And I scour the thrift stores at least once every two weeks (that's where I found my 50 cent Akubra vintage). All in all, it's a matter of persistence.

Good luck! Oh, by the way, out bid me and I won't be happy. I won't be happy at all! ;)

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
I'm a 7 5/8 - 7 3/4, depending, and I've yet to see a vintage hat of this size. In fact, the largest I've ever seen is a 7 1/2. Even scouring eBay, the only hats my size that I can find are new ones.

Anyone else have any luck? It's discouraging seeing all of these great hats in photographs, clicking for the details, and being told yet again that your head is too big.

And it's not even that big! :)

You can likely blame me if you get out bid at the last min. I'm a 7 1/2 and try to snad the nice once from 7 1/2 - 5/8

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Welcome dj. Get used to disappointment. Also, get used to size 7 1/8 Lounge members talking about all the deals there are on eBay. :(

Joel, 7 1/2

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I haven't found any vintage in my size yet (7 3/4") and I've been looking for a long time. I didn't think that there were any old hats in this size, but I see from fellow Loungers that they do exist. I've been getting custom from Art and will stick with that until I have a bit of luck. Keep us informed if you have any of your own luck. We big heads need the encouragement!

MattJH

One Too Many
This was spurred not just from perusing eBay auctions, but from visiting a consignment/antique shop in South Philadelphia yesterday evening and finding Cavanaughs and Royal Stetsons and a whole slew of others (including a particularly neat bowler hat made in England). Not a single one was larger than 7 1/4.

RedPop4

One Too Many
The next best thing, then is to buy up all those vintage 7¼ hats at the consignment or antique shops, sell them on the Bay, or wherever, and save your profits for the hats you can find, or save the profits for custom hats. :)

MattJH

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
The next best thing, then is to buy up all those vintage 7¼ hats at the consignment or antique shops, sell them on the Bay, or wherever, and save your profits for the hats you can find, or save the profits for custom hats. :)

If the hats didn't range from $60 - $100, I would! :)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The interesting thing is that even as far back as the Civil War, hats were routinely sized up to a size 8!

A size 8 head during the Civil War must have been RARE though.

MattJH

One Too Many
Canadave said:
Have you checked this out? The large heads are still pretty rare.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12361

David

I did see that thread, yes. Thank you! The 7 5/8 is currently somewhat common. You can walk into any hat shop you'd like here in the Philadelphia area and find a multitude of hats that would fit a 24" circumference head without so much as a struggle.

I wonder if that held true in the early-to-mid century?

nulty

One of the Regulars
There are a few auctions right now for hats upward from 7 1/2......3 i can think of..one is a size 8 cav....

I'm a 7 1/2 myself and I will say....it's a struggle....

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
One Size Fits All

[huh] [huh]
As any of you melon headed guys know, this may be worst Lie ever told.
As a beautiful 7 5/8 (61), I have spent hours searching ebay for a Vintage Hat to buy and if I actually do find one, the price will be outrageous.
After wasting a lot of time and money, I have decided to stick to New.

It’s not easy being logger headed.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I would guess hair has a LOT to do with the larger sizes being readily available on modern made hats. Bigger hairdos. Plus, the modern desire to not have any article of clothing the least bit snug on them.

As far as having a hard time finding things that fit...try being 6' 2" tall...then you can complain.;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fatdutchman said:
I would guess hair has a LOT to do with the larger sizes being readily available on modern made hats. Bigger hairdos.
Naw. Before WW2 anyway, the average Joe had as much hair on the sides as us today, and probably more on top. Nobody but a few Ivy Leaguers got crew cuts then, and nobody but von Stroheim shaved bald.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Naw. Before WW2 anyway, the average Joe had as much hair on the sides as us today, and probably more on top. Nobody but a few Ivy Leaguers got crew cuts then, and nobody but von Stroheim shaved bald.
GREAT von Stroheim reference! You know how hard it is to work him into everyday conversations! I try and I try and I try...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe