Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers M-200, size 40/42 - ebay

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm one phone call and two emails away from a final order from JL myself (sort of an idiosyncratic Lost Worlds Rigger). After sitting on the fence I've decided to go with the exact same hide from JL (with a brown mouton collar and dark rust knits. Stop me if I'm making a mistake: I know Allen likes the combo). The only difference is that I'm going to have a dense lining so I know we're going to shave the CXL down so the jacket won't be tooo heavy. Of course it's $50.00 more but what care I? I'm just rolling in dough. But seriously, I figure when you do something, you should do it righteously. I already got some really cool gloves to go with it. It's been exceptionally cold some days this year (although today it's 75 and beautiful out). People at the gas pump are always saying, "Oh, you're on a scooter. You're saving so much money on gas." I say 'Yeah, but the things that go with it will put you to the poorhouse."

https://www.denniskirk.com/churchil...oof-gauntlet-gloves.p3569654.prd/3569654L.sku

Last edited:

pak

One of the Regulars
I have a JL in his N-200. I have and recommend the sleeves be lined with nylon, satin or other slippery fabric. This makes the jacket less restrictive in the arm movement.

technovox

One Too Many
Yep. I hate to let it go. It's amazingly thick and heavy and a beautiful hide. Overall, barely broken in, well made, and lots of upside. But since I don't ride, for me, it's just the wrong weight and thickness for my kind of lifestyle and the temperate weather here. in SF. It's time to let someone else enjoy it, and put the money toward another JL or Goodwear or Aero. Part of that inevitable learning process in pursuit of the perfect jacket. Ideally, I would rather see it go to a FL member who appreciates this kind of workmanship and quality of leather, than on ebay.

Peacoat

Bartender
I notice this M 200 jacket has the side buckles. I have the M 200, and it has no side buckles. Doesn't need them as the jacket is V shaped and fits snuggly at the waist.

Edit Note: Technovox, did you have the side buckles added, or did they come standard? I didn't notice any of the underlying brown showing through the black overdue. Had it started that process yet? Just wondering as I have the M-200 in the heavy Japanese market leather, but it isn't the black over dye. Yes, if you don't ride, I agree that is a lot of jacket just for street wear.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
I notice this M 200 jacket has the side buckles. I have the M 200, and it has no side buckles. Doesn't need them as the jacket is V shaped and fits snuggly at the waist.

Edit Note: Technovox, did you have the side buckles added, or did they come standard? I didn't notice any of the underlying brown showing through the black overdue. Had it started that process yet? Just wondering as I have the M-200 in the heavy Japanese market leather, but it isn't the black over dye. Yes, if you don't ride, I agree that is a lot of jacket just for street wear.

I think it came standard with side buckles. I'll have to check with Alan on that. I've always liked side buckles. Because of my wide shoulders, most jackets are too wide at the bottom.
In fact, I'm seriously considering getting the same style jacket- M200J, but possibly in the mid-weight horsehide Alan just got in. One of these days, I'll stop by Johnson's here in SF and check out their leather samples.
Yes, the cxl hide did start to show some brown overtones through the black. But that hide is so thick, it would have taken me years to get the kind of patina I like. Especially, considering it was mostly too warm to wear around here.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Especially, considering it was mostly too warm to wear around here.

It weird you should say that. Last night I was listening to a podcast taking place in SF and the panelists, who are from the east coast, were all saying how cold they thought it was. P.S. It's too bad you can't just get a bike. If you've got a place for it, you won't be sorry.

Peacoat

Bartender
It weird you should say that. Last night I was listening to a podcast taking place in SF and the panelists, who are from the east coast, were all saying how cold they thought it was. P.S. It's too bad you can't just get a bike. If you've got a place for it, you won't be sorry.

Unfortunately, he can't get a bike now, he sold his MC jacket!

Techno, if you get one of the lighter weights that Alan has, you will really like them for street wear. I have the 3.5 oz cow with the thinsulate type liner that I got for street wear. It comes broken in out of the box. It is the hide he uses for the motor officers there in the area. The liner is relatively warm. I took my dog for a walk this afternoon in that jacket. Temp was 34 with light wind, and I was plenty warm.

For riding, I want a thicker and tougher hide; that's why I went with the 4 to 4.5 oz Japanese market cowhide. It is tough.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, he can't get a bike now, he sold his MC jacket!

Techno, if you get one of the lighter weights that Alan has, you will really like them for street wear. I have the 3.5 oz cow with the thinsulate type liner that I got for street wear. It comes broken in out of the box. It is the hide he uses for the motor officers there in the area. The liner is relatively warm. I took my dog for a walk this afternoon in that jacket. Temp was 34 with light wind, and I was plenty warm.

For riding, I want a thicker and tougher hide; that's why I went with the 4 to 4.5 oz Japanese market cowhide. It is tough.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass and I'm not saying I know more than you. I just seems to me that, if you're really concerned about going down one way or another, you should be wearing armor or a jacket with armor. My go-to riding jacket is a Vanson Teton with great venting, room for layering, and armor. But if you were driving a car, that jacket is like wearing the hard top. Rightly or wrongly, I put going down along side getting hit by lightening. If I don't go too fast or ride recklessly (like lane-splitting on the freeway), I figure my odds are pretty good. If I had a bad accident I'd really be in trouble due to blood thinners so if I was truly worried about going down, I wouldn't ride at all.

FYI, proper lane-splitting is the safest way to navigate a freeway. The reason being that getting hit from behind is the biggest danger to a motorcyclist.
That and mad inattentive texters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82