Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather M200 in Horween Vermont Leather

pawineguy

One Too Many
Really great jacket. I understand you wanting to take it in a little bit, but the fit is very good IMHO. I'm a fan of that leather, you did very well. Wear it in good health.

IXL

One Too Many
If that jacket belonged to me, I wouldn't change a thing. Once the wind flap has broken-in and softened, bet you wouldn't be bothered by it any more, and it looks great.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Ended up selling the jacket for not much less than what I purchased it for. Actually I lost a lot less money than it would have cost me to get the windflap taken off the jacket. And if you add shipping both ways, I think I did good.

I also recently got a Aero Sheene that I very much love and is something that is going to be with me for a long long time.

However I am now itching for another jacket in the Horween Vermont leather as it is a nice shade of Espresso or even a more lighter goat leather. Also want to have one of Johnson Leather jackets as working with Alan was such a pleasure.

Now that the M200 is gone, what can I change on my earlier jacket to make it more tailored (not tight) to my body.

From the few suggestions here and off the top of my head I am looking to

• Take the windflap off on the front
  • Make the upper arms slimmer
  • Take in the back (not sure how much though)
  • Take the shoulders in another 0.5" on each side
  • Take 0.5-0.75" off the length if that helps to get the jacket more tailored

Any other input greatly appreciated.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Man, you nailed the hell out of the Aero Sheene and I would recommend that you go a different direction all together for your next jacket - if at all. I don't find your M-200 to be all that different from the Sheene other than the lower back panel. The goat hide you mentioned would be a good start and a way to separate the two jackets, but they are still going to look like pretty similar jackets as long as they are both brown.

I guess my point is: you aren't likely to get a jacket that fits you better or is a better quality leather than what you have with your Sheene. If I had a collared shorter length brown leather jacket that fit me as well (and I do), I wouldn't wear another collared shorter length brown leather jacket (and I don't). Perhaps Alan could make you a cafe racer in goatskin?

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
if you don't mind me asking, how did you find the horween vermont leather on your johnson leathers jackets compare to the aero vicenza in terms of grain, feel, weight, texture, etc.?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Apart from the obvious weight difference Vermont (2-2.5 oz) and Vicenza (3oz), the Vermont is softer, waxier, less grainy and smoother. Also if you look closer, the color on the Vermont is more uniform than the Vicenza.

schitzo

Suspended
Mowgli, I think a café racer is a good shout too. But an even better one might be something slighter less casual, since this Sheen already ticks that box. I'm thinking a short fitted jacket that dips at the front could be a good move. There are doubtless further examples out there but here are a few off the top of my head: Aero 30s HB, Aero Original Hercules, AL Arkansas or Dakota, GW Ventura, BK Wingman or Aeronaut. Obviously some of those are smarter than others. All in all, were I in your shoes, given this range I think I'd have Alan make me up something resembling an aero 30s HB/AL Arkansas in a lightweight black goatskin, veg tanned if possible. The other hide I'd be contemplating (if he can procure some) is the Horween Expresso Vermont as seen on this marvellous GW http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_monarch_0004.html
If you do happen to enquire about that hide and it turns out that Alan can get it do please update the thread as I may just have a project for him too. Good luck!
Schitz

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
I thought that the pictures of the m200 in this thread were horween vermont espresso? Or am I wrong? I just assumed so, because Alan mentioned to me that there is some variation in color between the batches that he gets from horween... the sample I got looks closer to the goodwear link, albeit unwashed so less worn in.

I am torn between the vermont espresso, tumbled cordovan, and vicenza on a aero wayfarerfront... does anyone have some thoughts, or suggestion perhaps?

jon11

A-List Customer
don't think the pictures of the jacket at the start of this thread are horween vermont expresso. Technovox's (Michael) jacket is Vermont Expresso colour, I maybe wrong?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
@Grayland and @schitzo.. Thank you for your thoughts. I think I am going to take some time to decide on my next jacket as the Sheene just came in and I am going to wear it every chance I get and hope it will break in real nice...

@schitzo, @ericsanpablo31 and @jon11.. The M200 in this thread is indeed the Horween Vernont in Espresso. It could be the difference in the variation in the batches as Alan had the leather that he used for Technovox for a while at his shop and the leather that was used on my jacket had just come in a couple weeks ago from Horween.

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
The color on my Johnson Horween Vermont Leather M200 was NOT exactly the Espresso, but a slight variation on it.
I found a sample of the Horween Vermont Horsehide in the "Espresso" sent to me a while back.
Here's a photo of my jacket, with the Horween "Espresso" sample next to it (on right.)
I hope this helps. (Not trying to hi-jack the thread here.)
vermontcomparecc.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld