Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather jackets after some wear (for Vespizzare)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vespizzare, I've been reading quite a bit recently about the absorbant qualities of the naked hides. Wouldn't you want to be concerned about that? Someone in another thread said that when he was caught in the rain the jacket shrank considerably. Am I misreading that info?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Vespizzare, I've been reading quite a bit recently about the absorbant qualities of the naked hides. Wouldn't you want to be concerned about that? Someone in another thread said that when he was caught in the rain the jacket shrank considerably. Am I misreading that info?

I don't plan on wearing it in the rain. L.A. isn't like Hawaii or Florida, where it can start raining seemingly out of the blue and stop just as fast. It never rains without it being predicted.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

That's correct. It absorbs everything and it also cracks in sunlight.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
My Schott in naked cowhide has worn in really well. Seems tough as old boots. I do treat it differently to my other leathers though, making sure to condition it with Obenauf's LP once a season.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
[SUB][/SUB]
I didn't realize that...I have a couple of naked Schotts...wasn't aware bout the sunlight thing...any way to remedy that, or is it a stitch up?

Alan at JL said that naked hide benefits from more regular use of a good eather dressing. If the jacket gets worn hard then a yearly coat of Pecards will deal with it fine. The other thing is that the naked or "undressed" hide as some call it often fades in the sun very quickly to a more or less off white look.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I always knew that I was going with a brown mouton collar and the other half of FFTT"s wool lining. As far as the knits and hide go, it seems like I've gone through every permutation there is. My current (and final?) favorite is the shaved down black over brown chromexel. I really want to use rust knits and I think they go infinitesimally better with the CM than straight out black. It still creeps me out a little that the color rubs off, but I've probably been torture testing it with more than normal use. I figure that my SFPD leather jacket has a few scuff marks and this will have some too in the same places, end of story. i'm just going to wear it and move on from the finish (and try to remember not to sit on any white upholstery). Besides, I think Allen thinks I should go that way too and it's nice to please him while I'm also pleasing myself. The only thing that's going to make me change my mind now (I think) is if Allen says the jacket will be too heavy unless I go to the lighter weight horsehide. My Vanson Teton weighs about 7.5 lbs and it's a schlep to carry it around or to get into it.

P.S. To those who say JL should improve their website, I know of which you speak. I rejected them myself until I read FFTT's posts here and saw what really was available. That said: I tried to call Allen yesterday (we're one phone call and two emails away from a done deal) but it was around 5PM and he hadn't had lunch yet because it was so busy. So I think he's happy with that particular business model. He sounded a little frazzled but happy. I like it too. Since I started this project I was in the hospital and then retired so there's been a great amount of back and forth. It's such a pleasure dealing with JL. It would be a wonderful world if everything went down the same way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82