Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather jackets after some wear (for Vespizzare)

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
A couple of quick photos of my Johnson Leathers jackets after some use...

Custom halfbelt (horsehide CXL) after one year:
jl_halfbelt_oneyear_zpsfb293214.jpg

Custom M-200 (cowhide CXL w/black overdye) after two years:
jl_custom_twoyears_zps6f860680.jpg

As you can see, the chromexcel cowhide with black overdye is wearing like iron. It would work great for a bike jacket. The horsehide definitely has developed a patina in no time at all. Also note that the cowhide is 3.75 oz. and the horsehide is 3.0 oz.. The thinner horsehide with the wool lining is warmer than the thicker cowhide with a simple (satin? rayon? I'm not sure but it's bombproof) liner.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
They look great. I'm waiting for mine in the black over dye.cant wait!

In the next day or so, I'll be deciding between that and a "grainy" naked black leather swatch that Allan is sending me. I gotta admit, I'm leaning Chromexel. If there's one thing that will make me change my mind, it will be that it's almost too handsome. I sorta like to fly under the radar and I just think that people will check out that hide a lot.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I gotta admit, I'm leaning Chromexel. If there's one thing that will make me change my mind, it will be that it's almost too handsome. I sorta like to fly under the radar and I just think that people will check out that hide a lot.

Hmmm, I have to admit that after two years, I still get compliments on the hide almost every single time I wear the jacket: not exactly flying under the radar so to speak. On the other hand, the leather really is great as a shell, I've been out in many a rain storm with it now with absolutely no problems. It sheds the rain really well. Naked leather is seemingly more of an acquired taste, but would require almost no break-in which is nice and is certainly more subdued in appearance.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I am anyway. Black over dye on brown. I think it sorta glows.
Cheers mate, that's is what I meant. I'm getting a D pocket from Alan as soon as. Nail the final bells and whistles. Initially after horsehide, but I don't think he is overly happy with the stuff he is getting now, and I like the idea of the over dye. Thanks for your help.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In the next day or so, I'll be deciding between that and a "grainy" naked black leather swatch that Allan is sending me. I gotta admit, I'm leaning Chromexel. If there's one thing that will make me change my mind, it will be that it's almost too handsome. I sorta like to fly under the radar and I just think that people will check out that hide a lot.

Handsome??? I'm amazed to hear that. No one has ever said anything about my jackets; Aero, J.L.s, Al, and many more in 30 years. I don't think people really notice them. Certainly not over here. Just wear what you like.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Handsome??? I'm amazed to hear that. No one has ever said anything about my jackets; Aero, J.L.s, Al, and many more in 30 years. I don't think people really notice them. Certainly not over here. Just wear what you like.

It's an American trait, they are much more forthcoming with a complement. As a Brit there I always found it slightly embarrassing to be openly complemented. That's an Australian characteristic too.

Here I do see people checking out the jackets and the leather. Up close it is different to the fashion leathers most are used to.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's right Seb. Far more likely to get a comment about the footy jersey your wearing here than a 1k plus jacket...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the updates FFFT. Both are sweet looking hides. Any on-body shots or close ups? As for the whole compliments things I've gotten far more compliments on my leather jackets than I ever expected. Only some of my Fedoras have ellicited any other comments at all. Must be an 'Murican thing.

Worf

FFTT: Great jackets! Those crappy CXL sure look nice from here :rofl:
Seriously, I really love the way those look. What's your sense of the hides since you have both? Do you ride with those? I've never ridden with a HH jacket and all my (leather) jackets have been steer which is great for riding. I'm glad to see more steer jackets getting shown here. Funny how the HH got to be so sought after when both are great and have different properties. Look forward to more pics!

Oh, and as to compliments, it seems to come from women and younger guys. None of my friends in my age-range ever say anything. I have to think that since women and young guys like my jackets, they're good! AS to my friends, well, maybe they're just clueless :)

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Overall I suppose that the compliments are nice although a bit awkward at times (I wouldn't mind flying more under the radar sometimes myself). On the other hand I spent good money on jackets that I thought looked good, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Butte, I don't ride with these - I have a Langlitz that is used solely for riding, so no need. I dig the horsehide, but honestly, I would have gone with cowhide again the second time around with JL, but I really wanted brown CXL which meant going directly to Horween to source the hides. Unfortunately, the cowhide cost more than the horsehide so I thought I'd give the horsehide a go. It's worked out well as the two jackets contrast one another nicely in color, style and hides.

D

Deleted member 16736

I have a 30's-style biker jacket in black CXL from Alan, and it's a great jacket but it's so heavy I never wear it. Bear in mind that the steerhide is really heavy.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I have a 30's-style biker jacket in black CXL from Alan, and it's a great jacket but it's so heavy I never wear it. Bear in mind that the steerhide is really heavy.

I'd agree that as the thickness ramps up it can be rather heavy. The cool thing is that JL can now have the hide shaved to your desired thickness. While others might prefer even thicker/heavier hides, when it comes to the CXL cowhide, I personally would not want to go any more than the 3.75 oz. hide that I ended up with. In addition, if I was going to be combining it with a wool lining like Vespizzare is considering, then something less than 3.75 oz. would most likely work better.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
It seems like people are always commenting about something and I think people might be exceptionally outgoing in Southern California. There's so much strangeness here non-stop that people have their minds blown which makes them a little looser (maybe). If a girl compliments my jacket (or anything else), I always say, "I like you too." P.S. I just retired from the Dodgers and like to wear Dodger stuff sometimes. In my case, it's a great conversation starter.

P.S. The test jacket Allen sent was naked leather and I like it a lot. I think I'm going in that direction after all. First, I would feel conspicuous in a jacket that glows. And secondly, it looks broken in faster and all that but, at the end of the day, I don't want to wear something where the color scratches off so easily.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82