Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joan Collins says British women have given up trying to look good.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sophia Loren at the age of 70 for the 2007 Pirelli Tire calendar. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Italian Woman can as well......anyone can to their natural ability!!!!!!!!!!!

0,,2006531171,00.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
How sad that there are so many cheap shots against Joan Collins because of her age! I agree with:

"I think people have become sloppy in their grooming and in themselves. They're more interested in being on the internet, in texting, emailing and watching TV. With a little bit of discipline, every women can look and feel her best. But there are so many fashion crimes. The worst, to me is the muffin top, with the jelly belly hanging over."

"Being glamorous says that I'm worth taking the time to be the best that I can be. And once you are glamorous, it's like a drug."

"A more glamorous life doesn't cost a fortune," she says, "but it does take a little time, a little self-knowledge and a little self-discipline. We cook, we clean, we hold down jobs and bring up families. But if we can apply a little bit of lipstick and hold our heads high, we can feel better about ourselves. Yes you can."

What is so offensive about these comments?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I think of mutton dressed as lamb being more those forty year old women who wear lime green tubetops like some sort of Antique Eleventh-Grader, rather than older women who merely dye their hair and dress as elegant/glam WOMEN as opposed to teenage girls.

Maybe some of those 40 year old women like lime green and work out and look good in them, or like to dress vintage 70's? I have friends like that.I like to think in terms of "body" and not "age" appropriate. What looks good on one youthful body might look awful on another, and the same for older women. There are some very out of shape 20 year olds...I have a friend in her 40's who does triathlons.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
You ought to read, if you haven't already, Ariel Levy's writings on "raunch culture" and its real impact on women. Puts a lot of these issues right smack into focus.

As far as the whole fashion end of things goes, I think it's perfectly possible to question the overall aesthetic of a style without attacking the person wearing it. To suggest that a baggy sweatshirt hanging over a pair of ill-fitting pants makes the wearer look short and stumpy is simply an empirical observation, without making any sort of moral or emotional judgement against the person wearing it. And, let's be honest, we *all* make those observations, even the most "let's all get along" of us. Anyone who claims not to is, frankly, full of it. The problem is when we start thinking -- and worse, saying out loud -- "that person is beneath me because she's wearing a baggy sweatshirt and poorly fitting jeans." My closest friend is a habitual wearer of baggy sweats and jeans, and I'd choose her company any day in the week over some of the well-groomed, flawlessly-elegant backstabbers I've met in my life.

As always, well stated and I agree!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I just read the whole article. Except for Ms. Collins placing the blame for slipping standards mostly on clothing designers, she didn't make one point that I haven't seen 100 times at the Fedora Lounge. Who knows--maybe she's a member.

This is what is puzzling to me, and it seems to me that many take offense with her because she is "old" and lost her "right" to pass judgment on how women dress.

PrettySquareGal said:
This is what is puzzling to me, and it seems to me that many take offense with her because she is "old" and lost her "right" to pass judgment on how women dress.
Bingo, PSG, the Cult of Youth at work: "Your day is gone, you crazy old bag, nobody cares what you think anymore, now hurry up and die so we won't have to waste time and money taking care of you!"*snort*

Is my utter contempt for my generation and the ones immediately surrounding it showing again?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^
Perhaps.....I read this by older people who do not wish to go to a gym and work on their bodies. Moreover, those who wish to allow the passage of time and stereotypes to dictate how they should look.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
Maybe some of those 40 year old women like lime green and work out and look good in them, or like to dress vintage 70's? I have friends like that.I like to think in terms of "body" and not "age" appropriate. What looks good on one youthful body might look awful on another, and the same for older women. There are some very out of shape 20 year olds...I have a friend in her 40's who does triathlons.

Lime green I will concede has nothing to do with age and something to do with coloring and a lot more to do with personality.

The actual cut of the top, though - I think some styles look good on some young women and not others and generally not good on more mature women at all. Its not actually very MANY styles that are limited this way though. And yes very in-shape older women can break some of these rules.

And Sophia Loren is using witchcraft! lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
Lime green I will concede has nothing to do with age and something to do with coloring and a lot more to do with personality.

The actual cut of the top, though - I think some styles look good on some young women and not others and generally not good on more mature women at all. Its not actually very MANY styles that are limited this way though. And yes very in-shape older women can break some of these rules.

And Sophia Loren is using witchcraft! lol

As a 42 year old (and by your definition, "mature") woman I can tell you that there are no "rules". You've given me an idea, actually. I want to find a lime green tube top and see how I rock it. :) I'll have to wait until summer, of course!

PrettySquareGal said:
As a 42 year old (and by your definition, "mature") woman I can tell you that there are no "rules". You've given me an idea, actually. I want to find a lime green tube top and see how I rock it. :) I'll have to wait until summer, of course!
:eek: Oh the horror... by which I mean not you, PSG, but the entire concept of "lime green" as a color. My poor oversensitive eyes hurt just thinking about it... and that's even with tinted lenses helping to tone things down.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
:eek: Oh the horror... by which I mean not you, PSG, but the entire concept of "lime green" as a color. My poor oversensitive eyes hurt just thinking about it... and that's even with tinted lenses helping to tone things down.

I agree. Maybe a hot pink tube top.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't posting a pic of it here....

My main point is that I think a twenty something dismissing a forty something woman as looking like an antique teenager because of what she chooses to wear is uglier than any outfit or color choice. But of course it's Viola's right to judge as it is mine or a woman in her 70's.

I know, but just the mental imagery...:p Sorry, just MHO but I think Day-Glo and neon shades in fashion should be confined to safety- and survival-gear.

Your main point, though, is fundamentally valid, within certain limits... as an example, for those with "conformal fuel cells" or "aftermarket radiator-cores" Speedo is off-the-table at the pool. (Seriously, who'd EVER want to see a huge, dead-fish-white gut like mine?:eek: lol) As one of my heroes said, "A man's gotta know his limitations"--although Detective Callahan's advice is equally apt for both guys and gals on our individual sartorial limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe