Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jive Dancing?

Grace

Vendor
My husband and I attended Miss Wolf's dance lessons at last years VLV. We both had a blast, and swore that we'd keep it up once we got home.

Well, you guessed it, we didn't and now we can hardly remember the beginner moves we learned.

The dance studios around here are for kids/toddlers drill team type dancing. I don't know where else to turn! We'd really like to brush up on our skills. Any suggestions?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
We did the lesson at VLV this year also,but I think we only made it to fridays lesson.(and I have to admit we put our own spin on it,since we couldn't get that circular movement they make with their arm to feel right)
I really liked the classes and hopefully we'll get to take more of them the next time we go.We'll probably get the dvd since there's nobody here that teaches that type of jive.Most places with jive lessons are going to be the ballroom sort,which isn't the same.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I just ordered the first two Couples Charleston CD-ROMs from The Swing Dance Shop. Shall we let y'all know how we like them? We can give you the perspective of both an experienced dancer and a novice.

Thanks for the recommendations, HumbleStumble!

--Leslie

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Grace said:
My husband and I attended Miss Wolf's dance lessons at last years VLV. We both had a blast, and swore that we'd keep it up once we got home.

Well, you guessed it, we didn't and now we can hardly remember the beginner moves we learned.

The dance studios around here are for kids/toddlers drill team type dancing. I don't know where else to turn! We'd really like to brush up on our skills. Any suggestions?

Frankly, I would suggest you learn east coast swing. It is commonly done all overthe world and can be taught by any ball room dance teacher. It is the original style and will be a good start should you learn lindy hop later. Once you have that down, you can always adapt it to jive styling. Jive is a variation developed in England in emulation of East coast swing, which was just swing dancing back then.

I may be guilty of a little snobbery about it (actually I am a lindy hopper) but I think it is simple, easy to find teachers, easy to find partners, and is the original style more or less.

If you learn it you can easily do a jive style.

If you feel like really getting into it learn Lindy Hop. There is probably someone that teaches it near you.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree with reetpleat about learning East Coast. It is easy to learn and very common, and will give you an excellent foundation. Then you can go into all the fun stuff, like lindy, collegiate shag, etc.

Grace

Vendor
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

All the dance studios around here are for children up to age 12. Wouldn't we look silly, with our two left feet, being outdanced by 6 year olds! lol Not that any of them would allow us into the kids classes, anyway.

We're still searching for classes. I wish we could hurry up and find something, as VLV is fast approaching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe