Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese vs Scotland quality

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The truth is that, among the first rate manufacturers from Scotland, Japan, the US, Canada and other countries, the variation in quality is relatively small, indecipherable to all but the most detail oriented of enthusiasts, and not worth fretting over. Yes, certain of the top notch manufacturers employ certain artisan methods, whereas other manufacturers offer more precise stitching, but all of the first rate manufacturers ultimately offer wonderful, high quality products. Therefore, if you proceed with any of the first rate manufacturer -- whether it be in Asia, Europe or North America -- you should be happy with the quality of the jacket.

Blackadder

I can say that RM's quality has slipped quite a bit over the past 2 years perhaps due to their expansion. Am seeing lots of problems with their zippers, snap buttons etc. Now I mostly buy their old stuffs on Yahoo auction Japan. There are tons of stuffs there. Bought a NOS RM (Joe McCoy) varsity jacket for USD120 last month.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Just my two cents here. If you're going with Aero, make sure you have a tailor measure you first and send the measurements directly to Aero. Holly is great when it comes to discussing what will work, and what won't. Being a novice, I attempted to find the right fit by trying a "fit jacket", which has so far been a very costly disaster.

Just my two cents here. If you're going with Aero, make sure you have a tailor measure you first and send the measurements directly to Aero. Holly is great when it comes to discussing what will work, and what won't. Being a novice, I attempted to find the right fit by trying a "fit jacket", which has so far been a very costly disaster.
Interesting first post! Hey, welcome and all, but could you explain your plight more?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

Interesting first post! Hey, welcome and all, but could you explain your plight more?

Customer received a size 42 Maxwell Fit jacket which he said was too tight. We told customer that the 44 would be 2" larger in chest/waist, and .5" larger in the shoulders. Customer thought that was a good idea and went ahead with the 44 custom order.

Custom Maxwell, Size 44, comes through and customer says it's too big! Ughhh!

We resend 42 Maxwell Fit jacket--the exact same fit jacket as was initially sent--and it turns out it's perfect sizing.

Thurston absorbs $600.00 USD to have the Maxwell remade in the size 42 and then they get slammed online...not cool!

MRB1248

Familiar Face

Butte, sure. I've never been in a position to buy a leather jacket that actually fit me before. So after reading the threads on here, I decided on the Aero Maxwell. It's supposed to be a trim fitting jacket, so I asked for a fit jacket in 42, which is what I normally wear in a suit and figured that it would fit similarly. Oops. I got it and couldn't even fit my arms in the sleeves. Now, I am not Arnold by any means, but I still need to stay fit given my second job. And since the 42 didn't fit, I decided to go with the 44 and have the sleeves shortened. When I got it, it was huge. The pit to pit on the 44 was 25.75", and was told that was within spec for a 44. Well, that is just too big and it looked like I was wearing my dad's jacket. So I ended up trading it in and trying on a different size 42 fit jacket which actually did fit me. I was told the leather on the first fit jacket was different than the leather on the jacket I ordered, which made it feel smaller. (??) So all told, this jacket will now end up costing me a ton. Hopefully it'll be nice when I finally get it.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Customer received a size 42 Maxwell Fit jacket which he said was too tight. We told customer that the 44 would be 2" larger in chest/waist, and .5" larger in the shoulders. Customer thought that was a good idea and went ahead with the 44 custom order.

Custom Maxwell, Size 44, comes through and customer says it's too big! Ughhh!

We resend 42 Maxwell Fit jacket--the exact same fit jacket as was initially sent--and it turns out it's perfect sizing.

Thurston absorbs $600.00 USD to have the Maxwell remade in the size 42 and then they get slammed online...not cool!

Carrie, come on. The first 42 sent was brown, which is how I ended up picking the leather I wanted. The second was black. Couldn't possibly be the same fit jacket. I don't want to turn this into an issue. I am just disappointed. And to say you're absorbing the cost when the 44 is on eBay for $999 right now seems a little disingenuous.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Butte, sure. I've never been in a position to buy a leather jacket that actually fit me before. So after reading the threads on here, I decided on the Aero Maxwell. It's supposed to be a trim fitting jacket, so I asked for a fit jacket in 42, which is what I normally wear in a suit and figured that it would fit similarly. Oops. I got it and couldn't even fit my arms in the sleeves. Now, I am not Arnold by any means, but I still need to stay fit given my second job. And since the 42 didn't fit, I decided to go with the 44 and have the sleeves shortened. When I got it, it was huge. The pit to pit on the 44 was 25.75", and was told that was within spec for a 44. Well, that is just too big and it looked like I was wearing my dad's jacket. So I ended up trading it in and trying on a different size 42 fit jacket which actually did fit me. I was told the leather on the first fit jacket was different than the leather on the jacket I ordered, which made it feel smaller. (??) So all told, this jacket will now end up costing me a ton. Hopefully it'll be nice when I finally get it.

The leather that you ordered will make the jacket easier to move in, it won't make the jacket larger. Please see our post above...we've gone out of our way for you!

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Survey says . . . new member with an agenda is not telling the truth. I'm just sayin . . .

I have no agenda. I just wanted a jacket and this was not the best way for me to go about it. It would have been easier for me to have measurements taken and go directly to Aero since I am a difficult fit.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Carrie, come on. The first 42 sent was brown, which is how I ended up picking the leather I wanted. The second was black. Couldn't possibly be the same fit jacket. I don't want to turn this into an issue. I am just disappointed. And to say you're absorbing the cost when the 44 is on eBay for $999 right now seems a little disingenuous.

Fit jacket was black both times...we've only had one 42 Black Maxwell in stock for the last 8 months...your custom order was a brown jacket...

Superfluous

I have no agenda. I just wanted a jacket and this was not the best way for me to go about it. It would have been easier for me to have measurements taken and go directly to Aero since I am a difficult fit.

Truth be told, I have no idea what happened between you and Carrie. That said, I have two simple observations: (1) when joining a discussion forum, your first post should not attack a long time forum participant; and (2) as a long time participant here, Carrie has earned considerable credibility -- you my friend have not. I hope things get worked out between you and Carrie/TB. Meanwhile, you might consider adjusting your initial approach to this community.

MRB1248

Familiar Face
Fit jacket was black both times...we've only had one 42 Black Maxwell in stock for the last 8 months...your custom order was a brown jacket...

Carrie, I am not looking to argue. I just stated this was the wrong way for me to go about this. If you're put out, contact me offline and I will reimburse for the amount you credited on the original jacket, plus whatever other costs, and you can send it to me. No harm no foul.

Superfluous

Carrie, I am not looking to argue. I just stated this was the wrong way for me to go about this. If you're put out, contact me offline and I will reimburse for the amount you credited on the original jacket, plus whatever other costs, and you can send it to me. No harm no foul.

Strong move to the hoop . . .

It's generally bad form - esp here - to come and air out grievances with vendors without having done all that's possible with the vendor first. It doesn't matter who it is.
Nobody here is trying to say you didn't have an issue - it may have been a misunderstanding or someone is lying - we don't know.

But I'd think twice about accusations online - esp a place like this - unless you're prepared to get questioned.
Carrie/Thruston has a long and good reputation here. It's a difficult task to do what they and the jacket makers do.
So, going forward, I'd highly recommend getting all possible settled offline and not here. For a first post, it's not the way to make friends and influence people...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe