Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese vs Scotland quality

Stand By

One Too Many
Anyone know what has happened to Big J? I miss his contributions around here.

Yeah, me too. I PM'ed him just before Christmas but I've had no reply and there's no activity showing on his page. I hope he's alright and just busy with Life and focused on other things or something. But yes, he's a font of knowledge in his arena and his presence is clearly missed.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Japanese whisky is fantastic. I went to a whisky tasting exhibition, tried Suntory. Tried quite a lot of it. Like it. Incidentally, the conference' lasted just three hour but by the third one people were being carried out - not me, I hasten to add, I could walk. Just.

ZZ63B19DAA.jpg

Haha Craig! I did the exact same thing when I first tried Suntory. I found it particularly moreish and drank rather more than was sensible. The mind was wishing the old legs one way but the signal was scrambled and the legs were going in a completely different direction.

Wonderful whisky though and anyone who thinks that the Japanese can't make whisky should try it.

Anyone know what has happened to Big J? I miss his contributions around here.

He was a funny guy, I enjoyed his posts and that avatar of his is one of the funniest I have seen round here.

He was here after the forum changeover. He got in a couple of disagreements in a couple of threads and perhaps got the hump (like we all can do from time to time). I can't speak for him obviously but like many of us have done around here maybe he's just staying away for a bit to let the waters flow under the bridge.

I've been a member here for coming up 10 years and there's been many members who have drifted off for various reasons but there's been a fair few who have drifted back after time. Hopefully he'll be one of those who paddles back.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone else noticed that the Japanese seem to have a real fondness for all things Scottish? I'd thought of it before, and then one night I was watching a documentary that showed a group of Japanese at a war memorial who sang a song that sounded a whole lot like "Comin' thro' the Rye." The words were in Japanese, but it was definitely the same tune. Really curious, especially when you consider the geographic similarities of Japan and Great Britain with regard to, respectively, Asia and Europe.

The Japanese seem to just like traditional, old school, working class stuff which I adore myself. I think it's the same appreciation we all have but they're "borrowing" it from other places. Kudos to them - they do it well, not some sweat-shop crap knockoffs with no love.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
May be off topic but may be of interests to some fellow loungers
Back in the early 90s, the Japaneses releases the Levi's vintage Big E series (made in Japan likely under licenses from Levi's) and that was before Levi's consider it is worthwhile to bring back those old styles jeans with their LVC.

Lee and Wrangler repros are now made solely by Edwin and Real McCoy's of Japan.

Real McCoy's first released their A-2s repros in 1987.

It was claimed by 666 leather that they started their company to tailor to Japanese implying that the Japanese were hard pressed into finding leather jackets that fit them from like Schott and Lewis Leather.

A Japanese businessman bought the Rocky Mountain Featherbed name after it closes down and continue to produce clothing using the name.

The Japanese obtained licence from Burberry's to produce their own Blue and Black Label Burberry's in the 1970s.

White's and Danner are now owned by a Japanese company.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The QUALITY is equal, Scotland is more of a feeling, Japan is more of perfection in my opinion!

Cheers Joakim

As Craig said, a very good point.

Japanese culture prides itself on precision and perfection. There is a historical precedent for this. Look at how calligraphy is judged there, not to mention cuisine, and the manufacture of items. It's echoed in the Japanese leather makers where absolute precision and as near to perfection is what they strive for. For those of us from Western countries where we appreciate the "handmade imperfections" in what we buy, we generally like if something looks handmade because of those very imperfections.

Personally I like both sides of the coin. I love the imperfections which we cherish in some high quality goods that are made in the West but at the same time I love the sheer, almost ridiculous quest for absolute perfection in Japanese goods. Case in point, I have a limited edition Kai Shun Japanese chef's knife which is beyond beauty in its precision. It is a work of art with its waves in the steel from the same process as Japanese sword making and the balance and wooden hilt are so beautiful. Every time I pick it up (and that's everyday) I am still blown away by its beauty and preciseness.

I think we should applaud both sides of the coin here. Quality Scottish and Japanese things are just that, beautiful. It's just they go different ways to reach that beauty.

AdeeC

Practically Family
May be off topic but may be of interests to some fellow loungers
Back in the early 90s, the Japaneses releases the Levi's vintage Big E series (made in Japan likely under licenses from Levi's) and that was before Levi's consider it is worthwhile to bring back those old styles jeans with their LVC.

Lee and Wrangler repros are now made solely by Edwin and Real McCoy's of Japan.

Real McCoy's first released their A-2s repros in 1987.

It was claimed by 666 leather that they started their company to tailor to Japanese implying that the Japanese were hard pressed into finding leather jackets that fit them from like Schott and Lewis Leather.

A Japanese businessman bought the Rocky Mountain Featherbed name after it closes down and continue to produce clothing using the name.

The Japanese obtained licence from Burberry's to produce their own Blue and Black Label Burberry's in the 1970s.

White's and Danner are now owned by a Japanese company.
I have two of those Levi's Big E denim jackets made in Japan during the mid 90's. Repro's of the 1936 and an early 50's models. The quality is absolutely outstanding and as close to perfection as is possible. They are now developing a beautiful natural vintage fade. These are collectors items in their own right now. I bought mine used from an Ebay dealer from Japan for about $85 each a couple of years ago.
Here is a link to the dealer who seems to have a steady suply of these jackets. Most are typical smaller sizes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Vintage-/175759/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_ssn=x-kaijin-x

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I'm starting to scare myself: I actually like one of the jackets and one of those vests. Also, the watch fobs look pretty cool.

Benproof

A-List Customer
It's not mine lol. Still available for sale through Frans Boone (Holland) website in size 38".

I would jump at it but all of my best jackets are tailored for the motorcycle. This one is interesting because it's listed as a 'car jacket'. That is, specifically anti-motorcycle fit; loose and comfortable with free movement and high arm pits to allow movement.

But a car is a jacket in my books :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe