Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg

Let the comparison begin...

Thomasrichardnharold

New in Town
Question for the McGregor historians out there:

Can you identify from which year or approximate part of a decade (50s or 60s) that an Anti-Freeze was made?
a0216198_0475416.jpg

Does anyone know what the "Instant Warm Up" on some Anti-Freeze labels signifies in terms of year(s) of production?
(I have some with the older (TM) symbol and others with the (R) symbol, but can't tell when they were made)

It'd be great to know which ones are the originals from the start of the 1950s and which ones are later versions, as I've been veerrry curious for a long long time. If someone could let us know that'd be really appreciated! :)

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
The king rebel jacket

Hello.

Is this THE REBEL JACKET available from THE KING in Japan in this picture:

cmgck.jpg

p9gs.jpg

And regarding the 2014 REBEL JACKET from THE KING, is the only difference between the "RED original" (RJ-010) and the "RED with brown lining" (RJ-010 RED TYPE) the brown lining (see pictures below and here: http://translate.googleusercontent....86.htm&usg=ALkJrhh-Qs4GDfO-7DDdLBTd7cI2Hy1gFg)? Are they identical in red colour? Are they identical cut? Do they have the same measurements?

fulqe.jpg

hm8n.jpg

Cheers,
Dave
AUSTRALIA

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
cmgck.jpg

Cheers,
Dave
AUSTRALIA

If Dean wore an orange jacket it'd be perfect. ;)

Problem with a replica is it's such an iconic jacket that wearing it one looks like a half-assed Dean wannabe. And for me, if you wear one and don't look young and fit, it's just a little sad.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I'd be willing to wager most people have no clue as to what an iconic James Dean jacket looks like. I think just about anyone could wear one and not get a second glance. Half the guys I see sailing at the lake are wearing something similar.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd be willing to wager most people have no clue as to what an iconic James Dean jacket looks like. I think just about anyone could wear one and not get a second glance. Half the guys I see sailing at the lake are wearing something similar.

I'm sure many people wouldn't recognize it. Maybe most. But enough would and that would spoil it for me.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Hello.

Is this THE REBEL JACKET available from THE KING in Japan in this picture:

cmgck.jpg

p9gs.jpg

And regarding the 2014 REBEL JACKET from THE KING, is the only difference between the "RED original" (RJ-010) and the "RED with brown lining" (RJ-010 RED TYPE) the brown lining (see pictures below and here: http://translate.googleusercontent....86.htm&usg=ALkJrhh-Qs4GDfO-7DDdLBTd7cI2Hy1gFg)? Are they identical in red colour? Are they identical cut? Do they have the same measurements?

fulqe.jpg

hm8n.jpg

Cheers,
Dave
AUSTRALIA

Does anyone know if THE REBEL JACKET from THE KING (pictured above laying flay with either black or brown lining) is actually the same jacket the Japanese guy is wearing beacuse the jacket on the Japanese guy looks brighter?

And regarding the 2014 REBEL JACKET from THE KING, is the only difference between the "RED original" (RJ-010) and the "RED with brown lining" (RJ-010 RED TYPE) the brown lining (see pictures above and here: http://translate.googleusercontent....86.htm&usg=ALkJrhh-Qs4GDfO-7DDdLBTd7cI2Hy1gFg)? Are they identical in red colour? Are they identical cut? Do they have the same measurements?

Cheers,
Dave

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure many people wouldn't recognize it. Maybe most. But enough would and that would spoil it for me.

Seb, for me, that's the exact reason why I would want one!
Sure, for most people it would be just a red nylon jacket (unlike 50 years ago, when literally everyone would say 'you think you're james Dean'), but for those like us on the Lounge- those who know- it's a cool because so few people these days would make the connection, and those that do are going to be enthusiasts of the era/style, like us here!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I get that it's people who share your view that has so many wanting this thing around the world. Hell, there are people who dress up as Indy Jones too. Nothing wrong ethically with this it's just not my aesthetic.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I get that it's people who share your view that has so many wanting this thing around the world. Hell, there are people who dress up as Indy Jones too. Nothing wrong ethically with this it's just not my aesthetic.

Well, I guess I disagree, and I think maybe you misunderstand my point. Dean's red windbreaker probably isn't so well known these days, out side of anyone over 60, and a small group of Japanese enthusiasts fetishizing their imaginary 1950's America.

Edward

Bartender

Some years ago I bought a red Harrington style jacket. I was inspired by (even if the jacket is not exacty anything like!) James Dean. My mother (mid Sixties) said "But wasn't his black?". Turned out the jacket she remembers Dean in was the Schott Perfecto he wore off camera.

I've never once had a single Indy reference while wearing my Wested Raiders, fwiw, but then I don't wear it with a fedora. I'd be very surprised if anyone picked out the Dean jacket fror what it is. Mind you..... I doubt I'd care if they did. [huh]

Does anyone know if THE REBEL JACKET from THE KING (pictured above laying flay with either black or brown lining) is actually the same jacket the Japanese guy is wearing beacuse the jacket on the Japanese guy looks brighter?

Could well be camera flash making it look much brighter than it really is.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well, I guess I disagree, and I think maybe you misunderstand my point. Dean's red windbreaker probably isn't so well known these days, out side of anyone over 60, and a small group of Japanese enthusiasts fetishizing their imaginary 1950's America.

Ok. I've met people with Dean fixations who are in their 30's and wearing a similar red jacket is invariably part of their tribute to their hero. My problem to be precise is, I know it's the Rebel jacket and so do too many people I've met. That's enough. Let's face it Dean is consistently present in our culture - there's a movie titled Life being made about Dean right now with teen idol Robert Pattinson in it (not as Dean, thankfully). I think Dean's like Monroe, too exposed to copy without expecting people to chuckle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld